U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 02:46 AM

24,640 posts, read 23,772,714 times

Advertisements

Now you're getting into a pet peeve of mine.
I went to school at Kent State where they shot students.
No one in the US should die at the hands of the government, be it police or military.
The cops were on large animals that get spooked in big crowds.
Not too smart to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 AM

19,213 posts, read 12,930,991 times
Thats disgusting. Police brutality is only the beginning, someday we will have Blackwater enforcing "order" in this country like they do in our illegal wars of aggression, by shooting first, asking questions later.

My hat is off to those brave veterans, this veteran has got your back.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:34 PM

7,032 posts, read 10,682,604 times
OMG! If they would have just moved back on the darned sidewalk, everything would have been just fine. I'm sorry the dude got hurt, but the cops did nothing wrong. It was the crowd that kept encroaching and taking them on with verbal assaults and refusal to follow the police direction.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM

6,776 posts, read 12,189,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If the police hadn't been on horseback, with a crowd that size, can you imagine what could have happened? Then all you people would whine and cry "Why were the cops better prepared?"

Old 10-27-2008, 08:25 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,640,421 times
Quote:
Now you're getting into a pet peeve of mine.
I went to school at Kent State where they shot students.
No one in the US should die at the hands of the government, be it police or military.
The horses your talking about are better trained than one might think, especially when it comes to crowd control. But on the other hand its the rider that better have his or her head and backside wired together right and know how to hand them right. The New York City Police and Chicago Police have some of the best trained horses in the country. Next time you get a chance to watch a training film about these horses, do so. You'll be highly impressed with them.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:40 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,793,168 times
i think that it was not very wise to place horses in that kind of a situation. but then again, all we really know about it is what we see in the vid. it is possible that the situation was favorable for the use of horses to begin with; it sure seemed like the crowd just kept getting thicker and thicker instead of the other way around.

also, i read somewhere else that the police had been asked by the property owners to clear the protesters, and from the video, it is obvious that no one was willing to move (again, it seemed as if more just kept piling in).

i think it is a shame that he got stomped, but i feel pretty confident that it was an accident. even the meaner cops that i know would sooner shoot themselves in the foot than pull something like that.

aaron out.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:49 PM

4,628 posts, read 8,941,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
OMG! If they would have just moved back on the darned sidewalk, everything would have been just fine. I'm sorry the dude got hurt, but the cops did nothing wrong. It was the crowd that kept encroaching and taking them on with verbal assaults and refusal to follow the police direction.
Yes, things would have been fine. Equating this to "police brutality" is way off the mark.

Quote:
He's a citizen and exercising his rights.
The US is more dangerous than the middle east.
Legally speaking, the crowd and the poor man who was killed were breaking the law. They refused a lawful order, i.e. stay on the sidewalk. To refuse to do so is neither his, nor anyone else's, "right".

Were you at Kent State in 1970? If so, I can't even imagine what you felt; it was a horrible, horrible event and completely mishandled. We should remain ashamed of that. But to compare Kent State with this event is a stretch, and completely unfair to the students who died. This event was a preventable accident. It would've been prevented by the crowd obeying the law.

And maybe it was your outrage speaking, but I it doesn't sound realistic to say that living in the US is more dangerous than living in the Middle East. Never having been to the Middle East, what am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I watched it twice. The crowd ( should say mob instead) was told over and over and over to get back on the sidewalk, which they didn't. The police weren't telling them to stop protesting, they were telling them to get back on the sidewalk. Just before you see this vet after being stepped on you see another person being dragged out of the road. How do we know this person didn't just lay down in the road to protest? I'm not saying he did, but people LOVE to turn things around to make it look like the police horse trampled him on purpose...

...what I'm saying is that it's NOT okay for ANYBODY, US citizen, veteran, ANYBODY, to lay down in the road when...the police have told the people over and over and over and over and over, to get back on the sidewalk! ...To protest is fine. To get a little loud is OK to a point. But when you start getting out of control...
I agree.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:49 PM

664 posts, read 2,552,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post

Were you at Kent State in 1970? If so, I can't even imagine what you felt; it was a horrible, horrible event and completely mishandled. We should remain ashamed of that. But to compare Kent State with this event is a stretch, and completely unfair to the students who died. This event was a preventable accident. It would've been prevented by the crowd obeying the law.

I took it that she went to Kent State, but at a much later date.

However, a soldier that I used to serve with and who I still occasion see WAS there. He really doesn't talk about it but it most of messed him up horribly to have joined the Army and then the National Guard.

(Sidenote: I know that everyone reacts different, and that I'm more jaded then most people)

Old 11-05-2008, 11:08 AM

2,631 posts, read 4,793,168 times
Quote:
the crowd and the poor man who was killed were breaking the law.
maybe i'm missing something, but at the end of the video, the guy gets up and walks away. his face is bloody, and i bet he had one helluva black eye for a while, but he was conscious and mobile. maybe you're not talking about the horse-stomp incident there, and my reading comprehension is toast, or maybe i missed something in the video, and my visual attention span is toast.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 AM

4,628 posts, read 8,941,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
maybe i'm missing something, but at the end of the video, the guy gets up and walks away. his face is bloody, and i bet he had one helluva black eye for a while, but he was conscious and mobile. maybe you're not talking about the horse-stomp incident there, and my reading comprehension is toast, or maybe i missed something in the video, and my visual attention span is toast.
Nope, you're correct! I mixed up events...I get kind of wordy sometimes, so I try to shorten things up on forums. That's what I get for not proof reading...sorry~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues