Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 03:33 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

This has been a hotly contested election for president. To show solidarity, when you go to vote, wear something that shows you were once in the military. If someone ask you who do you support, tell them you support the next President of the United States. No matter which candidate they name, say you'll support him if he is elected. If they ask you if you're wearing it to support the war or McCain, say you're wearing it to show support for the troops and for the right to vote. Show those in your voting district how many proud veterans are in their area. Be careful of what you say should a local television news crew singles you out for an interview. Don't say which candidate you voted for. Be polite and say "I'd rather not say". If you agree with the above, please feel free to pass it along in an email to everyone you know before election day.
David Bordelon, former MM2 US Navy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
SailorDave, I think it's an interesting idea, but you'd have to be careful about wearing any official uniform items with your civilian clothes. I've been retired 12 years now, so I'm not up-to-date in this arena. I'd think that if you are registered to vote near the base where you are assigned and don't vote "absentee", that's a different matter!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:09 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
SailorDave, I think it's an interesting idea, but you'd have to be careful about wearing any official uniform items with your civilian clothes. I've been retired 12 years now, so I'm not up-to-date in this arena. I'd think that if you are registered to vote near the base where you are assigned and don't vote "absentee", that's a different matter!
If you're retired, I think a simple baseball cap that says Retired Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps, etc. would get the message across.

BTW: If I'm not mistaken, voting is the one time you can wear your uniform to something associated with politics.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:34 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
I'm wearing my Navy cruise jacket from my second ship. A service ballcap, jacket, or T-shirt would also do.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:30 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Excellent answer, Steel Man! The baseball cap is probabluy the best way, unless you're on active duty.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:51 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
I believe that you can because is not a political function....

DOD Policy

As is obvious by the title, Wearing of the Uniform, DOD Instruction (DODI) 1334.01 is a good starting point for Judge Advocates (JAs) and servicemembers researching this issue. (2) Paragraph 3.1.3 states that absent approval by a competent authority, members of the Armed Services (including retired members and members of Reserve components) are prohibited from wearing the uniform when "participating in activities such as unofficial public speeches, interviews, picket lines, marches, rallies or any public demonstration, which may imply Service sanction of the cause for which the demonstration or activity is conducted." (3)

Although DODI 1344.01 lists other situations where the wear of the uniform is prohibited, (4) paragraph 3.1.3 covers most situations encountered by servicemembers, especially in a time of vigorous public debate, emotion, and opinion associated with the ongoing combat operations. Paragraph 3.1.2 includes an additional "catch-all" provision that prohibits the wearing of the uniform "[d]uring or in connection with furthering political activities,..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues