U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:10 PM

29 posts, read 92,487 times

Advertisements

My husband just found out we will be stationed in Japan for 3 years. I am scared and excited all at the same time. Scared because I have never moved as a Navy wife and have no clue where to begin. I checked the ships website and all the links on the welcome aboard page don't work.
What is the health screening like? Since I am standard and not prime will I be able to have this done on base.....do I need to get my medical records together??? Should I enroll in Prime before we go???? We have 2 cats and don't want to leave them behind. Do I take them to our vet or a vet on base for all the stuff that needs to be done???? I just need some general advise on a first time move.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 05:43 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,446,737 times
While you need to find out stuff about the pets ahead of time, I think you will have to do a last minute checkup and clearance for them to go overseas. Definitely check ahead of time what shots they will need. You can probably get it done with an off base vet but the on base one might have the paperwork so you don't have to hunt it down.

While I cannot give you all the details and answers to your questions, I can say you probably won't be able to do much without hard orders. If all you have right now is a rip, you can find stuff out, and request a sponsor. Hard orders might not be in hand til 8 to 4 wks prior to your departure. The best thing to do is have everything you can have ready and then when they say "go", you (or your husband, which I usually leave it up to him) make all the appointments and go.

I don't know if I can plug another forum site here, but military.com has a spouse forum called relocation under the spouses section of their forums and there is a huge thread about Japan.

If that part about the other site gets edited out, PM me and I will give it to you.

Where are you going? Oki?

Old 11-06-2008, 06:33 PM

We are going to Yokosuka! I am really excited. I am tired of being in Virginia. I don't want to leave anything up to my husband. He is a wonderful man, but usually tells me I can figure this stuff out on my own. This is why I am trying this. I have never been part of a forum. I have had to find out a lot of things on my own and I really hate it. I don't really know what you mean by a rip, but no he hasn't gotten the hard orders yet. I have been told we need to start getting ready now, because of everything that needs to be done with the pets.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 PM

A rip is usually the little printout that says you will be getting orders to xyz base and your RNTLD (report no later than date).

Its a heads-up, so you can start doing stuff on a casual level - like clearing out your house, going to the dentist and taking care of any dental issues so you don't get denied clearance, finding out the info you are looking for here, etc...

I know for OKI they removed the weight restriction for AF families. Not sure about Yokosuka and Navy (is Yokosuka on Okinawa or is it in "mainland" Japan)? I think if you google "weight allowances military overseas" you should be able to find a chart.

I would definitely get your medical records in order. Once you guys have orders you will need to make an appt to get medical and dental clearance. They want to make sure you do not have any medical or dental conditions that they cannot treat there. Go to the dentist and get anything taken care of if you are in need of dental work.

Have you seen this site?

OrdersToCFAY

It looks like the site for Yokosuka.

Here is pet info

ImportingPets

here is housing info

Yokosuka Housing Welcome Center

Hope this helps!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:01 PM

thank you so much. you have been extremely helpful.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:04 PM

Hey - you really do need to get on the pet thing right away. I am sorry I did not know that.

http://www.usarj.army.mil/organization/vet/checklist.pdf (broken link)

This is the checklist and you have to do it all in order. Microchip, 2 rabies vacc, some sort of blood test.

You're welcome. I know on our first OCONUS move I was running around trying to find out everything I could.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 PM

I just really want to make sure I am prepared and there are no surprises. I was just reading about the cats and I have a lot to do. Thank goodness I have an appointment next week.
I have some dental problems..........so I am assuming I have to get those fixed before I go.
Now when you say weight are you talking what we ship because we have already planned on getting a storage space. We figure we will take as little as possible with us.
I looked on the military dot com website and there forum is very confusing. It was hard to figure out what they were talking about, but the websites you have given will help alot. Thanks

Old 11-06-2008, 08:27 PM

Yeah, weight allowance is generally estimated at 1000 lbs per room, but of course they actually weigh your household goods when they pack them. Professional gear is not included in your household goods allowance, so you need to make sure to segregate anything that is progear into its own shipment. I think last time, my husband took all his progear that he had at home to work and just had it all packed there when they packed his locker (he has over 1,000 lbs of progear). I think many Japan locations have a weight allowance of about 1/3 of a regular PCS weight allowance.

If you can find anyone at Yokosuka to tell you what you should bring, that would be good. Some items might be hard to get. When we lived in Iceland, the NEX was always out of shower curtains. Not something you would think to bring. The store also stocked clothing based on the weather in Virginia, so if you arrived in June, and it was 50 degrees and windy, and you had come from the deep south, it was hard to find clothing. It might be that they have everything you would need, but someone there could tell you for sure.

Try this link to the relocations forum - see if it is easier to navigate.

Relocation Discussion - Forum Powered by eve community

Old 11-06-2008, 11:56 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,145,546 times
First of all lisdol is doing a great job helping you. I just wanted to give you a perspective of Japan as I was stationed in Okinawa twice and once at Yokota AB (to the northwest of Yokosuka) 1982-1986.

The greater Tokyo area is VERY large with many people. However, the people are friendly and helpful if you get lost, but these days you can get a GPS device like the Sony NVA-VB6 GPS Device. Learn to use the trains and some phrases to help you get around. There are lots of things to see in Tokyo area, the temples and palace to name a few. There are other bases not too far away like Atsugi (Navy), Camp Zama (Army), and Yokota AB (AF). Also, make sure you climb Mt Fuji (during July and August only), a good hike but not to hard except for the thinner air (12,000 feet). Unless Japan changed its laws about car emissions, you'll have to buy a car there. However, you can get a good used Japanese car there for a good price. Remember that the steering wheel is on the right side.

Good luck and here is a useful website:

U.S. Forces Japan | Official Military Website

Old 11-07-2008, 03:16 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,545,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photochk View Post
We are going to Yokosuka! I am really excited. I am tired of being in Virginia. I don't want to leave anything up to my husband. He is a wonderful man, but usually tells me I can figure this stuff out on my own. This is why I am trying this. I have never been part of a forum. I have had to find out a lot of things on my own and I really hate it. I don't really know what you mean by a rip, but no he hasn't gotten the hard orders yet. I have been told we need to start getting ready now, because of everything that needs to be done with the pets.
I hope you love it as much as I did. The part of the city immediately outside the base is a little rough...so definitely do not be afraid to hop on the train and take a ride. It's very urban for miles around Yoko. But, you can find literally everything within a few miles.

The Naval station has a decent introduction to the culture class which is mandatory. However...you'll learn more by just venturing out by yourselves. One thing I would do now...learn a little japanese. You will find the local people will be so much more helpful when you need it if you have a little japanese in your conversation.

Hopefully you will be set up with a sponsor. Have your husband contact the new command and see that this happens. Its very important and takes a lot of the stress off.

Japan is a fantastic country....I hope you enjoy it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues