Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:17 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times

Advertisements

I was 22 years old and knew I wanted to be in the Air Force. I also am the daughter of a disabled retired Army veteran who was of the opinion that NOTHING is better than being in the military. Someone in our family has been in the military for generations and it was EXPECTED I would make it and I knew I wouldn't be able to face my dad if I didn't. My brother never had the balls so it was basically up to me. Everyone in town would know David Kite's daughter couldn't get in the military. There is just no way I could have gone home without graduation. After tech school he took me around and introduced me to all his buddies as his WAC daughter. (I was so embarrassed.) He just had no concept that it was different now and that I was an Airman just like the men are Airmen. Geez. Plus add on to that I had several "Step-Uncles and Step-Aunts" who had been in the military who were just P.W.T. and if THEY could do it..I could do it. I didn't have any problems with the mind games, and I can do ANYTHING someone shows me how to do after one showing, but PT just killed me. Besides that Lackland wasn't so bad, the food was good, I didn't have to cook nor do laundry. Just do what I was told. I can really do that.
I can't run to save my soul..never could..still can't hardly. I did pass the PT test every year but it was just barely a done deal.
There was no way I would quit. I knew MILLIONS OF PEOPLE had done this and if they could..I could. I guess I was playing my own mind games with myself.

Just before he passed away we went to the free Veteran's Day feed at Golden Corral. He asked me how much it cost me to get in because he knew his was free (of course) and I told him mine was free too, he totally didn't believe me. He never could acknowledge that I was a Veteran...of course not nearly on the same "level" as he was..but all the same I was in the military during Desert Shield/Storm and participated in mobilizations for that era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues