U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:48 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,699,203 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to post and say a big Thank You to all our veterans. This country would not be the great nation it is without your sacrifice.

YouTube - Reveille

God Bless America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 PM

3,823 posts, read 12,975,695 times
Don't forget to fly your US flag. If you can, half mast (or straight out 90 degree when attached to your house) until noon and then raised (45 degree) the rest of the day.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 AM

4,628 posts, read 8,871,035 times
Don't have a 'flyable' flag (I have a huge, antigue cotton one), but prayers and remembrance to all our protectors, and our veterans ~ ~

Old 11-11-2008, 04:32 AM

9,483 posts, read 10,567,285 times

Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,494,783 times
Be sure to thank a veteran today, too, for his/her service.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 AM

15,898 posts, read 19,662,492 times
I give the military kids thumbs ups whenever I see them in town, at the mall, etc. There are quite a bit of veterans where I live. I always thank them for doing their part not only today but other days as well!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 AM

2,913 posts, read 4,089,160 times
Default Thank You For Your Service

To the mods: This is my own. Thanks!

---

Thank You For Your Service - Kent Fletcher
November 11, 2008

Chosin. Marne. Khe Sanh. Tet. Ramadi. Anbar Province. Pearl Harbor. Belleau Wood. Bataan. Auschwitz. Nanking. Dresden. Nagasaki. Hiroshima. Leyte Gulf. Mekong Delta. Kirkuk. Baghdad. Countless places of the past, countless places of the present. Guantanamo. Hanoi. Grenada. All places where United States soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, coast guardsmen and women have been detailed for various reasons, from support to front-line defenders. Many did not return from a detail, whether the first detail or the last of many. Many more returned mangled, crippled, forever living within a shell where there is safety. Many went under protest, but went anyway. Some went with vengeance, to repay presumed debts long past. Many went, followed their orders, survived, and just kept going, never returning. Iwo Jima. Battle of the Bulge. Haditha.

Many more never left the States, or if they did leave the States, never saw front-line action, serving instead as supporters of whatever cause was on hand as clerks, radiomen, crypies, corpsmen, aircrews, refuellers, loaders, construction engineers, convoy drivers, instructors, mentors, chaplains.

As John Prine once penned in a song, all the places were "foreign to my body, foreign to my shore," and yet when the need was great, when the task at hand was seemingly insurmountable, the volunteers just kept on coming. The pride, for the most part, was too strong to deny.

Sometimes to write of this eventful day of remembrance is a task I hope not to suffer, yet, to not write of it, however simple or nondescript would be a shame on my part. Therefore.

To all you ladies and gentlemen who have gone before me, with me, or who follow me in service to the greatest country in the world, officers and enlisted, active duty and reserve, support personnel or front line defenders, I can only say Thank You For Your Service. Thank you for standing tall, for representing this country in those foreign countries, for sailing the open oceans with no horizons in sight for days on end, for flying through hostile skies, for continuing to support my country as a safer place to live, a place of peaceful refuge.

Thank You!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 AM

2,327 posts, read 5,252,431 times
To all my fellow veterans on this board, to the men and women who have served and are now serving our country and to the millions who support our military, thanks and God Bless America.
FAQ

Old 11-11-2008, 01:57 PM

3,823 posts, read 12,975,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Don't forget to fly your US flag. If you can, half mast (or straight out 90 degree when attached to your house) until noon and then raised (45 degree) the rest of the day.
Sorry, my mistake, but flying the flag at half mast in the morning is on Memorial Day. Anyway, my hat's off to all veterans even though my flag is the only one flying in my neighborhood.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:10 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,139,048 times
Thank you!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues