U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-01-2008, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 24,487 times
Default Mattresses in Yokosuka

OK so we're moving to Yokosuka next year, my question is where should we buy a mattress??? Should we buy one here or wait till we get there? We need a new mattress because this one is killing our backs but we don't know how the selection is over there. Right now we're just planning on doing an unaccompanied baggage shipment and getting cheap stuff over there but if we need to send a mattress then we'll do the regular HHG shipment. We only qualify for a 2 bedroom since we don't have kids so we're trying to figure out sizes and what things will fit. Does anyone know where I can go to get actual dimensions for base houses instead of just sq ft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:44 PM

20 posts, read 50,968 times
I don't know the answer to that question, but can't wait to see what people say. We are going next year too and don't want to take the mattress either.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:38 PM

According to my husbands friend were better off buying one here and having the military ship it. Apparently it's really costly to get one there and it takes forever. Now I have to figure out what else I should take or leave behind

Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 AM

I guess we will be in the same boat then. Our mattress is only 2 years old but is killing us. We want a new one and if it is going to cost more then we will get one here before we leave.
Which ship is your husband going to? Mine is going to the Blue Ridge. We aren't going until October next year.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 PM

He's going to the George Washington and we're leaving in February, I kind of wish I had more time but at the same time I'm impatient to go. I posted a query on the messages boards at Thenest.com and someone who is over there looked at the exchange on Yokosuka and said they only had 4 types of mattresses

Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 PM

My DH was already on the GW before they left for Japan, so they won't let him go back. But I have heard this ship doesn't go out much which will make the move easier on me.

I am very impatient to go, so waiting this long is going to be hard. I have a son graduating and going into boot camp before we go, so I am hoping that will keep me busy.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,985,291 times
You have better choices here...

Old 12-07-2008, 03:18 PM

3,508 posts, read 8,437,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahiera View Post
He's going to the George Washington and we're leaving in February, I kind of wish I had more time but at the same time I'm impatient to go. I posted a query on the messages boards at Thenest.com and someone who is over there looked at the exchange on Yokosuka and said they only had 4 types of mattresses
I'm DOD and I'll be on the GW in Feb. I would buy the mattress in the US and have it packed out with all your other household goods. I did this prior to going to the UK when I was in the Navy. Things in Japan are not as cheap as they are here.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 AM

10 posts, read 28,341 times
Default Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I'm DOD and I'll be on the GW in Feb. I would buy the mattress in the US and have it packed out with all your other household goods. I did this prior to going to the UK when I was in the Navy. Things in Japan are not as cheap as they are here.
We are at Atsugi, Japan and are moving to Yoksuka, Japan in May. In Atsugi Base, the exchange that sells mattresses that are good are usually above US$ 900.00. Unless you want to drive to Yokota or Zama Army Base that has more range and cheaper.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 AM

We bought a memory foam topper for around $110 from Overstock. It makes the mattress feel brand new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues