Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 18,605 times

Advertisements

hello everyone. I am new to the forums but I only have a little over 1 year left in so I was wanting to start doing some research on my options so I can plan for the future. I want advice from people who arent recruiters in addition to that received from them so I can be certain I do not sign up for something I will later regret.

With that said, I am currently a mental health tech (4C051) and am looking at the possibility of guard/reserves. I have 3 years of college (psych degree) under my belt up in Ohio, but all the credits will not transfer to other colleges. My family lives in Tennessee, I currently live in illinois (scott afb), and many friends and other fam live in Ohio.

First question is: Is there a difference between which state I sign up in? Can i sign up in a state even if i am not a resident of that state? I want to be able to use my GI Bill to help pay for a home/car/food while I go to school...and HOPEFULLY be able to use TA to pay for most the rest of my classes so I can concentrate fully on school and maybe pick up a part time job. any suggestions on these? (are there any loopholes that can allow me to keep a good portion of my gi bill and direct it toward investments in my future? say a house...as long as it is a necessity for school?)

Second: Reenlistment for my field is currently carrying a bonus of 24,000 (nice...). would that mean the likelihood of receiving a sign-on bonus for it in Guard/Reserve is likely? If so, how would I find out what my bonus would be? Do the bonuses vary from state to state for guard?

Third: I do not mind deploying, but wish to have as much control over WHEN I deploy as humanly possible. If I had this ability, I would likely try to deploy once per year in between semesters...like say for the summer. But would prefer to have the power to not to be OBLIGATED to should I not wish to one year. is this possible? If so, how?

Fourth: I also would like to have a steady source of income and the ability to travel when I wish. Is there any way of looking up openings on different bases for my chosen career field so I can sign up for short (3month-1year orders) to places? i wouldnt even mind doing that for places like korea where very few people
WANT to go... Is this possible?

Are there any specific places that any of you would recommend me calling/looking up to find out how to best set up a possible future in the guard/reserve?

I appreciate any help in advance. Also, if anyone knows reservists or guardsmen...Particularly IMA reservists...who are in the medical field I would love to speak with them. Thank you again for any help that may be offered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Fuznuts, most of your questions are WAAAY beyond my abilities to answer but I want to wish you luck, anyhow! (I was in aircraft maintenance and retired in '97...) Generally, I'd think you could join any ANG unit that had an opening, regardless of the state it was in (I'm sure you'd just change your residency) All of the HHG and other benefits would be based on your HOR if you seperated. I'd still talk to recruiters, but you might have some luck with military forums on places like Air Force Times. The Air Force Times used to run the available vacancies in ANG/AFRES units, they may still do that. Lastly, not sure if that's an option these days, but you may consider calling via Autovon, the clinics that use your AFSC in places you might like to settle and see if someone will answer your questions candidly. I did that when I was ready to retire and thinking about working for a Transient Alert contractor. And what about resources at your base CBPO, or whatever they call the Personnel Office these days...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 12-03-2008 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-02-2008, 08:59 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,549 times
I have some answers, but I am by no means an expert. First, I am Army Guard, not AF Guard. So on some of my answers, please keep that in mind. However, do be aware that I was thinking of transferring over to the Air Guard and had some of the same questions.

1. For the Guard, yes it does matter on what state you sign up for. Each state has their own benefits, including educational benefits. Living in the same state where you drill is a tricky question. Technically, you have to live within a 50 mile radius of where your unit is located. Reality though is if are a good airman and show up on time and don't cause any problems, most units turn a blind eye.

2. I do know that my state AFNG is offering sign-up bonuses, but I believe that this does change state by state. The only way to find out is to contact a recruiter.

3. I have an associate in the Air National Guard unit that I was/am thinking of joining. I had almost the same question. Her unit was always deploying people, but to her knowledge no one had been sent against their wishes. Since the AF has such short deployments, the slots get taken quickly and the command never has to 'draft' people. Now for my background, I understand about wanting to deploy, but can not understand only a handful from a unit going. I know that the AF is a different world, but still....

4. No clue, but you never know. I do know that for the Army Guard such opportunities DO come up.

Oh, I will add that my buddy is a medic, but I don't think that'll help you An Army medic who gets imbedded with an infantry unit is not what you seem to be looking for

Old 12-03-2008, 02:19 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,738 times
Default Reenlist

Stay in. DO NOT GET OUT! The economy is sinking. There are going to be lines of people at recruiting offices with waiting lists especially for the Air Force. Take the reup bonus. Stay for a career. Get your degree and apply for a direct commission. Do any thing and everything to advance your career inside. It is rough out here and getting worse by the day.

All the best.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 PM

425 posts, read 665,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Stay in. DO NOT GET OUT! The economy is sinking. There are going to be lines of people at recruiting offices with waiting lists especially for the Air Force. Take the reup bonus. Stay for a career. Get your degree and apply for a direct commission. Do any thing and everything to advance your career inside. It is rough out here and getting worse by the day.

All the best.

I agree! Great Advice

Old 12-06-2008, 11:27 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Fuznuts, I agree that it's a jungle out here. But you do have plenty of options. Just do your homework and take the course that's best for YOU! FWIW, I'm glad I stayed on active duty until retirement. But I had an AFRES slot in the works when I was approaching my 8th year and decided not to pursue it. It probably would've worked out just fine. But I have no regrets. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 18,605 times
thank you guys. I am still looking into it, but it will definately take doing some homework. Really dont know, but if the economy gets much worse before I get out, I may just reenlist. My preference though would be to try to get into a full-time guard slot :/

That way if I absolutely hate my leadership, I can just drop my contract and move somewhere else without having to wait years and years with a hope that something will change. I currently dislike the clinic where I work and the major who causes ridiculous amounts of problems for we enlisted doesnt seem to be leaving anytime soon. Ultimately I want to be able to have a job that doesnt keep me locked in if I hate getting up and going to work every day. Just figured that the national guard would offer me pretty much what i am looking for...thanks for the input and please keep it coming

Old 12-19-2008, 04:58 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,448,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post

All the best.
Absolutely. I tell sailors that all the time when they say "I have 6 mos and a wakeup and I'm outta here." They don't realize what you just said. They think that because they went home on leave and somebody told them when they get out, that they'd hire them, is a big lie.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:33 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,076,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuznuts View Post

First question is: Is there a difference between which state I sign up in? Can i sign up in a state even if i am not a resident of that state?
You can live in another state and be a member in the reserves or guard in a different state. The differences between states will be openings and availability of positions.

Quote:
Second: Reenlistment for my field is currently carrying a bonus of 24,000 (nice...). would that mean the likelihood of receiving a sign-on bonus for it in Guard/Reserve is likely? If so, how would I find out what my bonus would be? Do the bonuses vary from state to state for guard?
It's doubtful that the bonuses would be the same. A signup bonus is likely to exist, but you'll have to call a recruiter for details. Decide where you're most likely to live if/when you get out and find the nearest AF wing recruiter. The bonuses will be the same between state (guard) but different from the reserves.

Quote:
Third: I would likely try to deploy once per year in between semesters...like say for the summer. If so, how?
Deployments are dependent on a lot of factors but the frequency (obviously) would be less than on the active side. You likely will have some input into the 'when' piece but really depends on where you are assigned.

Quote:
Fourth: Is there any way of looking up openings on different bases for my chosen career field so I can sign up for short (3month-1year orders) to places? i wouldnt even mind doing that for places like korea where very few people WANT to go... Is this possible?
The medical field in the AF guard and reserves is sought after quite heavily. If you are insisting that you stay in your same career field, you're going to find it challenging to get your #1 location. Overall if you plan on finishing up your degree, the AF guard will have more benefits. It really depends on where you plan on living when/if you decide to get out.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,698,779 times
I work in a blended unit of AD/Active duty, AGR/Active Guard Reserve (full time guard), TG/Traditional Guardsmen (one weekend a month/2 weeks a year) and full time Technicians (GS-employees). I also have a few friends who are Reserve IMAs.

Over whelming majority realize that life is easier not being AD. You don't PCS, you can concentrate on your job as you don't deal with the B.S. of the AD...In almost every unit, ANG/Reverse is much more laid back and less military than AD.

First, it's very competitive to grab any full time slots right off the bat. Don't let that stop you, apply and see what happens, but don't have high expectations. Your best odds are to get grab a part time slot and if you chain likes you enough, will offer you the full time slot. But if you go that route, you're going to need a full time civilian job and if you have a full time civilian job, why stay in the military? Simply tough times right now. It's also though to get any commission unless you have an engineering degree, let alone any full time slot for commission...

I'm away for the holidays, there's a site that lists all full times whether they're guard/reserve/tech...I thought it was www.fulltime something, I'll have to get back to you on that.

As far as your education goes, I have some good news for you. Look up southern Columbia university. Apply with them and ask for an transcript assessment, which is free (well was free a year ago)...They take every one of your AF credits and prob. all of your Ohio credits. I think you can even pay them $10 and they will contact your Ohio school's for your transcripts. They are nationally accredited (but not regionally)...I had taken a financial advisor course prior to enlisting and the school lost their accreditation while I attended, CSU accepted and transfered those into their credits! Classes are ridiculously easy and 100% online. Their location is very close to the Maxwell AFB, the AF's education HQ. Also, if you didn't know about CLEPS/DSST...You take approx a 100 question multiple choice test, if you answer half of them right, you are awarded college credit. These tests are normally $100+, should be free at your bases education offices. I would do that night if I were you.

Lastly, hard to determine how the new GI Bill is going to work until Aug...Lots of questions about rules have yet to be answered...

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues