Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

Could we build new battleships?

Maybe nuclear reactored, with rail guns, metal storm, and other stuff?

sweet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 09:16 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Could we build new battleships?

Maybe nuclear reactored, with rail guns, metal storm, and other stuff?

sweet!
Yeah! Build a new one! You could use the Phalanx weapon system for protection.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/Close-In_Weapon_System.jpg/300px- (broken link)

Old 12-21-2008, 01:10 PM

451 posts, read 1,227,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Yeah! Build a new one! You could use the Phalanx weapon system for protection.

Good ole cheese whiz. I spent many a day helping CF div with taking that thing apart, oiling it and putting it back together. That older version was a maintenance nightmare.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
These worked pretty well. Sorry, no air conditioning.

A real fighting battleship, the HMS Rodney. It sank the Bismarck. All 9 16" guns were forward to reduce the area that needed armoring and thus reduce weight.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh92/Irishtom29/1937_00_00_rodney.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-22-2008, 01:54 PM

26 posts, read 177,574 times
The New Jersey is open for viewing in Camden New Jersey.
The Wisconsin is open for viewing in Norfolk,Virginia.

Go to your browser and type in their names. It'll come up to their own web sites.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:35 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,187 times
Insanely expensive? Are you kidding me?

NO.....

That would have to be the LPD-17....I'm sorry, ONE BILLION OVER BUDGET...and they STILL don't have it right yet...oil leaks everywhere....Now THAT is insanely expensive....The taxpayer (and the Navy too) should be LIVID about that mess....

...."old" is relative. Some ships were build long ago but have much more life in them than ships built ten, twenty years ago...

Look people building ships is very expensive....if the hull is good, the basic machinery is good then the ship is still usable....I've sailed on ships build in the 50's that were in MUCH better shape than the ships I sailed on...build in the 70's or 80's....and if it's not obvious now it will be soon that we, the U.S. can't simply build these insanely expensive ships like the USS San Antonio any more...we are going to have to come up with the far less expensive solutions, and this will mean using older ships and even though bringing back an "Iowa" would be expensive I can't see it costing two BILLION dollars....
Some sailors are going to grouse about everything and anything....that's not going to change....yet I know lots of guys who were on the Iowas back in the late 80's and they loved it...

At any rate like so many other things were going to have to get pretty creative in these "new" economic times with our "wish list" for Navy ships....

Old 12-24-2008, 06:34 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
These worked pretty well. Sorry, no air conditioning.

A real fighting battleship, the HMS Rodney. It sank the Bismarck. All 9 16" guns were forward to reduce the area that needed armoring and thus reduce weight.

A small correction for the sake of History....
While the Rodney did help in sinking Bismarck. This was only able to happen due to torpedo strikes from carrier based aircraft from the Ark Royal. Inspite of repeated gun strikes from Rodney and her consorts the Bismarck did not actually founder untill her crew set off scuttleing charges and open the seacocks.........Battleships in Modern Navel warfare are mearly political tools and really not a effective piece of hardware. Any real job they can do is easily done by something cheaper and more effective......

The Bismarck

Old 12-24-2008, 12:13 PM

111 posts, read 353,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
DDG's can do 40 knots no sweat. See one of those suckers coming at ya with 100 tomahawks on board! Whew!
We do have an impressive amount of firepower onboard my ship, the USS Donald Cook (DDG 75). But I'm going to have to disagree about our top speed. I've been onboard for almost two years, through countless underways and a busy 6 month deployment. The fastest I've ever seen it go is 27 kts.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:54 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navych1ck View Post
We do have an impressive amount of firepower onboard my ship, the USS Donald Cook (DDG 75). But I'm going to have to disagree about our top speed. I've been onboard for almost two years, through countless underways and a busy 6 month deployment. The fastest I've ever seen it go is 27 kts.
I know your ship like the back of my hand...believe me, it can do 40 knots if need be. In fact, I know most of the newer arleigh burke class ships, CVN's and LPD's, cuz I work on the systems from the day they are commissioned!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 PM

451 posts, read 1,227,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navych1ck View Post

I think you are correct, due to the config of the DDG's gas turbine plant in comparison to DD963 and CG47 class ships speed was sacrificed. I don't want to get into specifics on a forum, but I remember when I was getting my PIN that the GSE's mentioned that to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues