Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:38 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times

Advertisements

Will the AF pay off my student loans? What are the enlistment lengths in the AF? What's a typical day like for a Public Affairs Officer and the hours? As a PAO would I have the opportunity to be based overseas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Will the AF pay off my student loans? What are the enlistment lengths in the AF? What's a typical day like for a Public Affairs Officer and the hours? As a PAO would I have the opportunity to be based overseas?
Talk to a recruiter...

The AF has a student loan repayment plan, but only for certain things.

Typically 4 or 6 year enlistment which are technically both 8 year enlistments. They hard to get 15 month active enlistment as well...

Can't count on being stationed overseas...In my class of 15, 10 people put they wanted overseas, no one got overseas. Hours depends on the unit, if you have a low manned office you going to work more than an overmanned one. Prepare for unpredictability in the Air Force

Again, talk with a recruiter. They have low quotas right now, so they're not very pushy. Remember you're never obligated to them.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:12 AM

ok thanks!

Old 12-22-2008, 12:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Join a branch with combat units.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Join a branch with combat units.
why don't you

Update:
Spoke to a recruiter online took me a while after a few a holes disconnected me and apparently they only offer 10k in loan repayment. So screw that.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
why don't you
Been there and done that

Additionally, as a civilian, I volunteered and made 3 trips to the ME - 2 to Iraq, 1 to Afghanistan, delivering care packages to the troops.

My son has just returned from his 5th tour to the ME - and is scheduled to return for his 6th in June. His wife has completed 2 tours there as well

Military life has been great for them -

Old 12-22-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
..... they only offer 10k in loan repayment. So screw that.
But, 10K is 10K. Don't forget, you can also take advantage of the GI Bill. AND, you can continue with your education WHILE in service and the government will give you substantial reimbursements

Old 12-22-2008, 01:44 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
I've always heard the Navy had the best programs.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Paying off debts is hard.

You will need to pay them by living frugal and using part of your take home pay to pay your debt load.

If you are considering the military lifestyle, and you need to pay off debts; I would be asking around, as to which branch pays the highest take home pay.

Until my 18th year in uniform I had thought that all branches paid roughly the same level of pay. We were living in Naples Italy, in a housing complex with Army, Marine, Air Force and Navy families, and I got to know other E6s all with 15 to 20 years in service.

I was shocked at the differences in take home pays.

We all got the same base pay. Some branches got tax-free status while working side-by-side with branches who did not get it.

In the case of the Navy personnel, we were getting more other pays and allowances [which is the norm for us], while the Air Force personnel got only base pay.

At the time base pay would have been about a third of my pay check. But those families were only getting base pay and nothing else.

Some branches have wonderful huge bases, and they assume that by providing everything you need [swimming pools, cafeterias, movie theaters, golf courses, etc] that you simply do not need any further money.

The Navy way of looking at life is that the Navy needs a base to be a row of piers and warehouses. The focus being on supporting those ships and subs. So the Navy does not desire to get into the housing business. the only time the Navy has the ability to feed people is when they are living on a ship. the same goes for providing Rec facilities. So the Navy prefers to pay personnel to house themselves, to feed themselves, and to amuse themselves.

The Navy routinely sees tax-free service. It is common to serve for decades where your salary is completely tax-free. I was tax-free from 1983 until I retired in 2001.

Each branch may pay Re-Enlistment bonuses to attract trained personnel to stay in uniform.

Just ask any navy recruiter how much the current SRB level is for a ET1 Nuclear Reactor Operator, buckle your seat belt, as it will take a few minutes for him to look it up, but then $90k will be his answer.

I was not a nuc, but I got $65k every 4 years when I re-upped.

Also when you look at the pay charts, keep in mind that the Navy commonly pays sailors bunches of the extra pays and allowances.

During most of my career, I got:
BAQ,
BAS,
COLA, VHA,
Sub pay,
Career sub pay,
Sea pay,
Career sea pay,
Sea pay kicker,
Female separation pay,

All in addition to base pay.

It is tempting to take a commission as an officer, assuming that officers earn more money than enlisted do. Officer pay charts are higher when looking at base pay, for lower ranking personnel.

I have known many sailors who got degrees while serving in uniform [I did]. A few to them went to OCS and became LDOs, some of us did not. I did not. Once you get half way through a career, if you are good at ladder climbing, you notice that an E9 gets paid better than an LDO does.

Also officers do not get SRB, or many of the other regular pays that NCOs get paid.

So if you only consider base pay, than it is commonly assumed that offices will earn more money. However when looking at take home pay, such is not the case.

Good luck with your career.

May God bless you.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:51 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
If I'm not mistaken, some of the military Public Affairs functions are being done by civilians and contractors. you might consider looking into that angle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues