Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:52 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times

Advertisements

I, too, am of the "old school" Navy ('59-'62) and Army ('63-'66). I am all for keeping the working uniforms at work, not in town. I see people all over in their working uniforms, in stores, in restaurants, etc. I simply don't like it.
We were allowed to wear dungarees or fatigues to and from the base, period. No stops, and only in your own vehicle. If you took public transportation, you were required to be in presentable civvies or dress uniform. Personally, I liked it that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
Starting in 2006 the Navy changed it's policy to if you fail 3 Body Fat compositions or PRT failures (done twice a year), you're separated from the Navy. The Airforce are still allowing their servicemen to be fat and ready!
The air force has one command, the AFMC, that has the BMI...If you're over 30% and don't have a special exception, you must attend a healthy lifestyle workshop...Fail a few more times and you will get kicked out...As far as I know, all the other commands do not do this

Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
The air force has one command, the AFMC, that has the BMI...If you're over 30% and don't have a special exception, you must attend a healthy lifestyle workshop...Fail a few more times and you will get kicked out...As far as I know, all the other commands do not do this
I believe the Marine Corp has the Pork Chop platoon or it may have changed since then and given another name. We certainly don't want to hurt anyone's feelings these days

Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,356 times
well from how I understand aren't all uniforms not really meant for wandering around in public in? I recall that the AF BDU/ABU, you are allowed to wear it too and from your place of work and errands on the way or when doing official business but you can't just go wandering around town with it on for no reason.

So is this new navy uniform one that you put on only and work and then take off before you leave to go home? Secret squirrel uniform

Old 01-14-2009, 11:51 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
I like the policy. When I was in thats the policy we had. You could stop to get gas or buy milk for your kid if it was an emergency. It was strictly enforced.

The reason I like it is that when I was in the Marines, 90% of Marines look good and have a some semblance of military bearing while in uniform. When I got out I joined a local ANG unit......Exact opposite.

I know its my problem. I am very embarrassed/ashamed when I see a a Guard soldier in town all wrinkled, sloppy shave, swearing, etc.
You have a point which I didn't first consider.

Military bearing, or burnt out bearing? Some members are a sight to behold.

When I was at Oceana NAS for master fitness school, the "shape" of many of the sailors there was a constant topic of amusement for my classmates and me. Shape meaning more like The Blob than The Terminator.

The navy is a technical service, not a fighting service. Like the air force, who mostly send the officers out to fight and die.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 PM

172 posts, read 278,983 times
There are good reasons why the new uniform isn't allowed to be worn in public en- route to work and home from work. As a Navy Chief
It’s embarrassing to say how many times I have to tell a sailor to square away his/her uniform - on base. Off base we can't be there to ensure proper uniform standards are being up held. It seems that many sailors forget that while in uniform you represent the Navy you serve and make an impression on people who see you in public - in uniform.
I would love nothing more than for my sailors to be able to wear this new uniform in public but until "we" prove that we can wear it properly I support the CNO's position and will do what I need to do to enforce it. I suggest that those of you complaining choose to wear the new uniform properly with pride. The CNO has also stated that he will re-visit the uniform policy based on feed back from the MCPON and the Chiefs Mess. As always - Do your part and the Navy will take care of you.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,190 times
New NWU will not be worn in town due to our failure to make sure our sailors present a clean neat apperance while wearing the uniform (utilities). Too many times I've had to tell someone to pull up their pants, tuck in your shirt, shine your boots, etc... The issue of us wearing these will be revisited at a later date if, and that's a big IF, we as leaders can ensure our sailors are wearing it correctly and in a way that won't discredit our military. Be proud to be a member of the worlds greatest military!! 16 years and still going.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
You have a point which I didn't first consider.

Military bearing, or burnt out bearing? Some members are a sight to behold.

When I was at Oceana NAS for master fitness school, the "shape" of many of the sailors there was a constant topic of amusement for my classmates and me. Shape meaning more like The Blob than The Terminator.

The navy is a technical service, not a fighting service. Like the air force, who mostly send the officers out to fight and die.
strange viewpoint.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:27 PM

172 posts, read 278,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
strange viewpoint.
I see where he's coming from and it's not so strange. Although the Navy is a powerful fighting force, we don't engage in direct combat, nor are we trained for that purpose or atleast not in the same way a Soldier or Marine would be. Instead we are trained to operate the equipment which keeps our ships afloat, on course and aircraft flying. The ships fight from a distance and we launch our aircraft to engage the enemy either in the air or by placing bombs on target. The only sailors involved in direct combat would be our spec op folks (IE Navy Seals). These fine American's make up a very small percentage of the Navy combat team. This is what he meant by stating that the Navy is a technical branch.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Like the air force, who mostly send the officers out to fight and die.
I think the USAF Security Police manning Bunker #10 at Bien Hoa Airbase on the morning of January 31st 1968 would beg to differ with you.

I think they performed pretty damn well, fewer then 30 USAF cops killed over 200 North Vietnamese and successfully prevented an entire air base from being overrun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues