Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:26 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times

Advertisements

The one cool thing about the 2 weeks is that it can change quite often (location). I was active duty and eventually reserves (late 93-99).While in the reserves I went back to Texas,NJ,CA,and Germany to name a few.The 2 weeks varied also. I remember doing the 2 weeks in May and other times in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 04:43 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Another great (possible) benefit is if you find yourself unemployed, they have TDYs you can go on to various places for varying lengths of time.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 11,410 times
Default Air Force Reserve

Hi, I'm throwing up the idea of going into AF Reserve. I currently hold a Bachelor's (a useless one, for the most part), and I'm looking into going back into another degree in Nursing. I know my chance of deployment is high in any service, but I'd like to get that ball rolling, and perhaps try to serve in the Reserve at the same time (even though it'll take a little longer because of deployment periods). I was wondering what other opinions might be on that, as well as just going in "Enlisted" into the Reserve with a degree. I'm not too picky about the specific job i'll do at the moment, but I'll probably switch to a Nurse once I get the degree. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:52 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
If you are going back to school for nursing you need to talk to the Air Force ROTC people at the school you are thinking about attending. This way you can get your degree and be commissioned (active or reserve) at the same time. You might also qualify or a 100% scholarship.

Going the enlisted route with your goal in mind is not wise.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
I tend to agree with what Balad1 said.

But there are a lot of possibilities....

If you want to be a nurse, then work on that as a main goal. I have met a few Air Force nurses who got their Commission through ROTC.

Rich

Old 12-02-2009, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 11,410 times
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for my decision making!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,473 times
You can also join up as Enlisted and be a Med Tech. Get the GI Bill and work on your Nursing degree and then get picked up as a Nurse later, lots of people have done that where I work at the medical unit.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:03 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
You can also join up as Enlisted and be a Med Tech. Get the GI Bill and work on your Nursing degree and then get picked up as a Nurse later, lots of people have done that where I work at the medical unit.
I agree that this is a good plan for the most part.
ROTC is a good way to go but harder to get into - I'd do that if you could with the Reserves as a back up plan.
Because the hitch with the above plan, and its a big one, is deployments make it hard to go to school. Do some research and try to find out what the deployment tempo for Reserve med-techs is.
What state are you in and what units are near you? Units deploying as a whole varies quite a bit. But you need to find out about med-techs being deployed as individuals too.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,202 times
Can i be a secuirty forces enlisted man for air national guard and make good money id say bout 1,200 a month ? or do i have to join the airforce to be in security forces ? and could someone thats in air national guard serve as a secuirty force at a airforce base or do you have to be in the airforce to serve on their own base? i want to join the air national guard and be security forces but im worried about the pay i hear the pay is only liek 184 a month

Old 08-18-2011, 08:05 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselynn View Post
Can i be a secuirty forces enlisted man for air national guard and make good money id say bout 1,200 a month ? or do i have to join the airforce to be in security forces ? and could someone thats in air national guard serve as a secuirty force at a airforce base or do you have to be in the airforce to serve on their own base? i want to join the air national guard and be security forces but im worried about the pay i hear the pay is only liek 184 a month
The Air National Guard (ANG), often referred to as the Air Guard, is the air force militia organized by each of the fifty U.S. states, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the District of Columbia of the United States.

So what state are you considering?

Have you gone to the Air National Guard - Home web site and see what they have to offer?

The Air National Guard has "Security Forces" careers, Careers

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues