U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 04:28 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,902,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert20 View Post
This will be a career. Im going in with the mindset that this will be my job for the next 20+ years.
How well do you swim? Are you going to attend any college while in the service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,926,405 times
Quote:
This will be a career. Im going in with the mindset that this will be my job for the next 20+ years.
With your scores you can choose any career field in any of the military branches. I will suggest to look for your greatest interest with the highest SRB.

I will also think that you will like to achieve a post graduate degree and this can also open the doors for a commissioning program and if you desire to make a career will also be a step away from civil service or a contractor job.

I retired 6 years ago and I work for one of the top 10 GOV contractors in the Aerospace Industry. Before I retired I had offers that opened the doors for an early retirement. BTW I will fully retire at age 54 (now 48) thanks to the experience that I gained during my 22 years in the USAF.

Again any branch will accept your qualifications, I just like the opportunity that USAF offered me and my family...

Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 PM

90 posts, read 564,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
How well do you swim? Are you going to attend any college while in the service?
I tend to see me self as an exceptional swimmer. I used to go to our local YMCA here and used their pool for laps while in high school. Also when I was 14 I attained my diving license and go reef diving, cave diving, and springs diving about 4-6 times a year. I love the water.

Also I will be pursuing at least a 4 year degree while in the service. I know it will take a while, because I fully understand that Service comes before anything else. But hey, Im gonna be in there for a while anyways, so I will have the time.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:24 PM

90 posts, read 564,346 times
I would also like to thank all who have replied, I appreciate your input a lot. This is going to be a life changing and important decision for me and welcome any info I can get before I decide it.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,900,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
It's a tough call...Way too many variables...if you really like the beach, odds are in favor of the CG...
Yes, but the USAF has some great bases on/near the beach; Eglin, Tyndall and Patrick AFB in FL. Keesler in MS, Vandenburg in CA. Other bases are fairly close, as well

As the other posters say, check into which jobs interest you the most and see what each service offers you to serve in them.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:56 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,780,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
With your scores you can choose any career field in any of the military branches. I will suggest to look for your greatest interest with the highest SRB.

I will also think that you will like to achieve a post graduate degree and this can also open the doors for a commissioning program and if you desire to make a career will also be a step away from civil service or a contractor job.
Two problems with SRB, first is it's always changes, just because the job has a SRB doesn't mean it'll be there your next enlistment. In the air force the higher SRB are the jobs with a high wash out rate. On the other hand, it's not a bad idea to take a job with a top secret clearance requirement. I def agree that education is very important and the OP should consider a commissioning program and/or going for their civilian degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Yes, but the USAF has some great bases on/near the beach; Eglin, Tyndall and Patrick AFB in FL. Keesler in MS, Vandenburg in CA. Other bases are fairly close, as well

As the other posters say, check into which jobs interest you the most and see what each service offers you to serve in them.
Yes, there are a few bases that are close to the beach in the AF but almost all are in the CG. They'll probably moving around a lot as well

Quote:
Take advice from George W. and have an exit stategy...You might love the first eight years but some major change happens and a great civilian opportunity comes your way. This is where having your degree will help you. EG, Obama has announced he wants 20K military troops to assist local police depts...Odds are very low this pass congress...My point is rules change and something undesirable may come your way...Always expect the unexpected

Old 01-02-2009, 01:13 PM

302 posts, read 1,396,019 times
It sounds to me that you know what you want to do--to gain a college degree with some military experience, which is perfectly fine.

If I were you I would choose the Air Force simply because they have more opportunities for you to attend college. I was in the Navy, so I can't speak for the Coast Guard, but during the first 3 years it will be difficult for you to attend college. I remember when I had to ask permission from my superiors so I could go to school after working hours a lot of people were dissuaded from attending school because it was just too much hassle. Then you have to think about deployment schedules and work-ups (going out to sea for weeks at a time) that have to be conducted in order for the ship to be able to go on deployment.

Quote:
I tend to see me self as an exceptional swimmer. I used to go to our local YMCA here and used their pool for laps while in high school. Also when I was 14 I attained my diving license and go reef diving, cave diving, and springs diving about 4-6 times a year. I love the water.

Also I will be pursuing at least a 4 year degree while in the service. I know it will take a while, because I fully understand that Service comes before anything else. But hey, Im gonna be in there for a while anyways, so I will have the time.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,580,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
If you really like the beach, odds are in favor of the CG...
This is a joke, right?

My Coastie's been posted at three different locations; two in Michigan, one in Alaska. Only one of them had a 'beach.' And if you watch the upcoming season of Deadliest Catch, you just might see him and his cutter.

He attends school on-line and end up with a degree in marine engineering. It hasn't been a problem so far. The Coast Guard is actually quite invested in keeping its personnel involved in educational activities. He has re-upped twice, and plans to make it his career.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,900,730 times
I believe that off duty educational opportunities are just as good in all of the services. Certainly some bases might have more in-residence opportunities than others but on-line opportunities sure have made access easy, especially from remote assignments.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,361,248 times
it's simple really: which is cooler ships or planes????

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues