U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:32 PM

90 posts, read 564,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
it's simple really: which is cooler ships or planes????

haha. I'm not even in any service yet, but even I know that wouldn't matter. Just because your in one service or another doesn't mean you'll actually even be where you think you would (ie. coast guard=boats, air force=planes). Im not that naive haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 07:13 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,578,169 times
Do you mean planes........?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:52 AM

16,248 posts, read 20,606,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert20 View Post
Hello all. First I want to thank any who read this and/or reply to it.

I am currently debating between joining either the Air Force or the Coast Guard. I graduated from high school 2 years ago and finally decided what I want to do with my life. I want to go into the military. After looking into all the different branches, Ive narrowed it down to either these two divisions. (Possibly the Marines, but thats doubtful). I scored a 75 on the ASVAB when I took it close to 7 or 8 months ago and probably will retake it when I decide on which branch.

I would greatly appreciate anyones thoughts on these two choices and would like to know which you think would be better and why/why not.

Thanks,
-Desert
I was in the USAF and I really can't say anything bad about it. While it is the military and they do give you orders at least in the USAF you are allowed to think for yourself and, if you have a better idea, you can talk to your command structure. Don't know nothing about the USCG

Old 01-03-2009, 08:26 AM

5,702 posts, read 21,920,847 times
[quote=TheJagMan;6802083]Two problems with SRB, first is it's always changes, just because the job has a SRB doesn't mean it'll be there your next enlistment. In the air force the higher SRB are the jobs with a high wash out rate. On the other hand, it's not a bad idea to take a job with a top secret clearance requirement. I def agree that education is very important and the OP should consider a commissioning program and/or going for their civilian degree.

Normally the AFSC with SRB's are the most challenging fields and they do have a high failure rate, with that said, you have superior scores that will allow you to step in and be successful. If you receive a SRB this is locked-in for the duration of the reenlistment and the amount is based on the need by grade/year normally defined as a ZONE.

Your recruiter can help you out of this. But again to be a successful USAF member take on a field that you have a TRUE interest and always look at the future. How is this job going to translate to civilian life....

Many of us that joined the military in the early 80's did not have as much info as we do today to make our decision(s). This was very limited, today information is available from many sources, so take advantage and make a decision that is lasting and enjoyable.

Hottest fields in the USAF:UAB's (now enlisted members might be allow to pilot the units), contracting, Medical technicians (X-ray and Lab) MIS or IT, and for the mechanical inclined Aircraft Mechanics heavies or fighters (C-130 Gunships or CV22). BTW I'm in the Special OPS side of the house (GOV Contractor) and this command is always on the go normally on the DARK....

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=156 (broken link)
http://www2.afsoc.af.mil/
http://www.specwarnet.net/americas/usaf.htm

Last edited by sunrico90; 01-03-2009 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: corrections

Old 01-03-2009, 01:14 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,893,343 times
MICoastieMom, I loved working on those awesome F-15 fighters with their "European One " grey paint schemes, but ya gotta admit the USCG white/Hi-vis orange sure looks COOL!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 01-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 PM

567 posts, read 1,318,786 times
Quote:
Hello all. First I want to thank any who read this and/or reply to it.

I am currently debating between joining either the Air Force or the Coast Guard. I graduated from high school 2 years ago and finally decided what I want to do with my life. I want to go into the military. After looking into all the different branches, Ive narrowed it down to either these two divisions. (Possibly the Marines, but thats doubtful). I scored a 75 on the ASVAB when I took it close to 7 or 8 months ago and probably will retake it when I decide on which branch.

I would greatly appreciate anyones thoughts on these two choices and would like to know which you think would be better and why/why not.

Thanks,
-Desert

Navy! We have planes, boats and ships! )

Old 01-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Do you mean planes........?

The Navy has better boats and planes! HA!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:46 PM

90 posts, read 564,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
Navy! We have planes, boats and ships! )
Sorry, but the Navy just doesn't pique my interest.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but the Navy just doesn't pique my interest.

LMAOO.. Your lost!

[MOD deleted)

Last edited by sunrico90; 01-04-2009 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted material

Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,901,243 times
Quote:
I tend to see me self as an exceptional swimmer. I used to go to our local YMCA here and used their pool for laps while in high school. Also when I was 14 I attained my diving license and go reef diving, cave diving, and springs diving about 4-6 times a year. I love the water.

Also I will be pursuing at least a 4 year degree while in the service. I know it will take a while, because I fully understand that Service comes before anything else. But hey, Im gonna be in there for a while anyways, so I will have the time.
Well if you think you can make the cut to become a rescue swimmer then give it a shot, get to play with water, save lives and even be in the air at the same time. It's a lot more community oriented and it's a calling more than something you sign up for. I grew up in AF territory, CO but served in the CG Reserves out in CA (port security). Came back home and had no problem whatsoever getting a job as a cop either. If your looking for something more combat oriented then I'd certainly recommend the AF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues