U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,638,586 times

Advertisements

Congrats on making that tough decision, and thank you for your service. The AF is a great outfit.

I'm a recruiter for the Coast Guard, and can tell you a little about it.

The best part about the Coast Guard, I think, is the cross training. In most services, if you train for a job, you pretty much do that job.

In the Navy (don't kill me Navy peeps, I love ya), a cook will be in a galley on a huge ship, cooking. I saw a documentary on aircraft carriers. They had E-5 cooks who would cut pizzas all day. They another one would make eggs, etc. In the Coast Guard, an E-5 cook could be stationed on an 87 foot patrol boat with only 15 other people. So as an E-5, you're in charge of your own galley, ordering, making the menu, etc. Then on top of that, you may be on a boarding team, doing law enforcement.

The boat drivers in Washington state will be in a completely different realm than boat drivers in Florida. And so on...

Take me for instance. My main job is a Yeoman. Admin/Human Resource type stuff. IF I'm on a ship, and part of a boarding team, I could be in the ships office one minute, and boarding a vessel looking for contraband the next. One minute I'm typing, the next I'm strapping on a .40 cal getting ready to look for terrorists and drugs.

As for duty stations, we have more than the rest of the services combined. Anywhere you can think of, there's probably a station. I've been to Duluth, Boston, Kansas, San Jose, now Tacoma.

As for SRB (bonuses), I would NEVER pick a job based on a bonus. I would pick the job that most interests you, if it has a bonus, great. If not, you still have a kick butt job.

The biggest difference in the CG and other services, when it comes to training, is we don't go straight from basic to our school. We go from basic, to our first unit as whats called a non rate. We are pretty much a "Coastie in training". Kind of learning the rules of the road. Once there for four months, we put our name on a school list of our choice, granted our test scores qualify for it. Nobody in the Coast Guard is ever going to tell you what job to do. Your training is up to you. Then once you go through your school, you go to a unit where you'll be doing that job. It gives you the opportunity to work side by side with all the jobs before picking one.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 01:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
I think the term "...and related duties" pretty much applies to all of the branches. Most USAF specialties involve more than one discipline; the Services AFSC, for example, could have you working in the Base Gym, Billeting, Library or any number of services facilities on base. (As well as the dining hall) My specialty, aircraft maintenance, was VERY specialized when I enlisted in 1973. The USAF finally got smart (or looked at how the Sea Services maintained their aircraft) and combined many of the maintenance specialties. Most of the "black box" kinda guys are down to only a couple of AFSCs nowadays. My specialty was originally combined with Hydraulics and Engines. Later the Engines folks were put back into their own AFSC again. On top of that, the Air Force has revised Basic Training to add more combat skills. And once an Airman goes to a permanent base, he/she could be sent on an "In Lieu Of" tasking to provide support to another service (usually the Army)

Old 01-11-2009, 08:54 PM

45 posts, read 242,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert20 View Post
Well, I thank all who has helped me out with this decision, its been a help to me.

I have decided to go into the Air Force. I just need to lose 10 lbs to be in the weight bracket for my height.

Thank you all
-Desert20
You made a good choice. I've been in the AF for the past five years and love it. You have a lot more job choices in the AF than the CG has. The CG doesn't recruit many people each year so there is usually a long wait before you actually leave for their training. So if you need a job now that would not be good for you. Also, sometimes after CG basic training there is a long wait for their technical training/a slot to open for you in that job so you would possibly find yourself doing lousy jobs like cleaning and painting.

Hopefully the CG recruiter above doesn't take offense to my posts, but he seemed to say basically what I said except during non rate you will be the biotch lol

All Air Force training is college accredited also (not sure about the CG), but I know other DoD branches do not have this. We have our own community college you can get an associates in applied science through. I transferred my CCAF credits towards my bachelor's and I had over 40 from the Air Force to start with (was a sophomore towards my bachelor's before ever taking a civilian course).

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to send me a message.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:43 PM

MaStA, I'm positive that all of the services' education programs are accredited just like CCAF is. (They all have the equivalent of our CCAF)

Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
MaStA, I'm positive that all of the services' education programs are accredited just like CCAF is. (They all have the equivalent of our CCAF)
I believe you are sadly mistaken my friend. The Air Force is the ONLY branch with a community college and it is the largest community college in the world. I'm sure you know how it works and isn't a public community college, but it is what it is.

If I'm wrong, please show me proof.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 PM

MaStA, I sit corrected; I assumed that SOC was the Army's version of CCAF and that the USN/USMC/USCG had their own versions. I guess the correct statement is: ALL of the services have great educational opportunities. Now, having said that CCAF is an awesome program. Wish I'd completed it even earlier in my career!

See: My Future - Military Opportunities - Military College Programs (http://www.myfuture.com/militaryopps/militarycollegeprograms_all.html - broken link)

Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
MaStA, I sit corrected; I assumed that SOC was the Army's version of CCAF and that the USN/USMC/USCG had their own versions. I guess the correct statement is: ALL of the services have great educational opportunities. Now, having said that CCAF is an awesome program. Wish I'd completed it even earlier in my career!

See: My Future - Military Opportunities - Military College Programs (http://www.myfuture.com/militaryopps/militarycollegeprograms_all.html - broken link)
I'm a recruiter...this is my job. I provide the truth and as you can tell you can find it all on the internet. I don't know why any recruiter would lie when everything is published on the internet. There are branches that like saying they can provide training which will earn them credits, but that statement is not backed up by anything except their word. You were in the Air Force...you should be on my side here.

I get nothing out of people on this forum saying yeah I want to join the Air Force sign me up. I'm just trying to make sure people get accurate information and make the best choice for them not for the recruiter's quota.

Some people are best suited for one branch over the other...nothing wrong with that as long as you are making a choice that will benefit your needs in life.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,574,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaStA View Post
You made a good choice. I've been in the AF for the past five years and love it. You have a lot more job choices in the AF than the CG has. The CG doesn't recruit many people each year so there is usually a long wait before you actually leave for their training. So if you need a job now that would not be good for you. Also, sometimes after CG basic training there is a long wait for their technical training/a slot to open for you in that job so you would possibly find yourself doing lousy jobs like cleaning and painting.

Hopefully the CG recruiter above doesn't take offense to my posts, but he seemed to say basically what I said except during non rate you will be the biotch lol

All Air Force training is college accredited also (not sure about the CG), but I know other DoD branches do not have this. We have our own community college you can get an associates in applied science through. I transferred my CCAF credits towards my bachelor's and I had over 40 from the Air Force to start with (was a sophomore towards my bachelor's before ever taking a civilian course).

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to send me a message.
Not sure where you are getting your information, but my son did not wait to begin training, nor did he wait to be assigned to the job of his choice. I think you need to check your source.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Not sure where you are getting your information, but my son did not wait to begin training, nor did he wait to be assigned to the job of his choice. I think you need to check your source.
It may not happen all the time, but the CG recruiter up top even said you go into non rate or whatever sometimes. I'm sure there are many variables involved.

So you are saying he went straight from MEPS processing to CG basic training? Then right after that he went straight to job training and then straight to a base or whatever the CG has doing the exact job he enlisted for? He never had to do some side work until his actual job came available?

I know he had to have some wait before leaving for basic training because I doubt the CG is pushing people out the door as fast as the Army.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:13 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,772,218 times
I just wanted to point out a few things I've observed with the CCAF accreditation and the other services...In short, just because it's accredited doesn't mean it will be accepted everywhere. And just because the other services are not accredited doesn't mean that they will not be accepted.

First, determine what your goals are...Typically all colleges is going to fall under three categories...Unknown college/online, middle of the pack or elite...

The CCAF is accredited where as the other services are not...But almost all of the unknown colleges that accept CCAFs credits will also accept credit from ALL FIVE SERVICES. If you apply to an elite school, like Harvard for examples, they're most likely not going to accept any CCAF credits...

So the middle of the pack colleges are the ones you need to research...They may accept zero like Harvard, may accept a few or may indeed accept all.

Wanted to add the CCAF has an outstanding ABC-AU program where after you obtain your approx 64 credit associates degree, a college participating in the program will apply 100% those 64 credits into a 120 bach...Before the program, colleges may of only accepted 40 of those 64.

With all that being said, not everyone cares about their CCAF and are more interested in their four year degree. Rumors are you'll need a CCAF to make the rank of E-7, but that's not something a first term person needs to worry about.

Also wanted to point out cleps/dssts which are FREE for military...These are great as elite colleges do accept them, although usually only a certain amount. They're typically 100 multiple choice questions and if you get at least half right, you get college credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues