U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 PM

45 posts, read 242,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I just wanted to point out a few things I've observed with the CCAF accreditation and the other services...In short, just because it's accredited doesn't mean it will be accepted everywhere. And just because the other services are not accredited doesn't mean that they will not be accepted.

First, determine what your goals are...Typically all colleges is going to fall under three categories...Unknown college/online, middle of the pack or elite...

The CCAF is accredited where as the other services are not...But almost all of the unknown colleges that accept CCAFs credits will also accept credit from ALL FIVE SERVICES. If you apply to an elite school, like Harvard for examples, they're most likely not going to accept any CCAF credits...

So the middle of the pack colleges are the ones you need to research...They may accept zero like Harvard, may accept a few or may indeed accept all.

Wanted to add the CCAF has an outstanding ABC-AU program where after you obtain your approx 64 credit associates degree, a college participating in the program will apply 100% those 64 credits into a 120 bach...Before the program, colleges may of only accepted 40 of those 64.

With all that being said, not everyone cares about their CCAF and are more interested in their four year degree. Rumors are you'll need a CCAF to make the rank of E-7, but that's not something a first term person needs to worry about.

Also wanted to point out cleps/dssts which are FREE for military...These are great as elite colleges do accept them, although usually only a certain amount. They're typically 100 multiple choice questions and if you get at least half right, you get college credit.
All pretty true. No college has to accept any other colleges credits, but when a college pulls that BS is when they don't get a lot of transfer students which in turn makes them usually accept some of them at least. Of course big name schools like Harvard won't because they are "so great." Either way I don't know what you would use to transfer credits from other branches since it is hard to get a transcript when a college doesn't even exist. My CCAF transcript shows how many credits each are worth and everything. Oh well it made me a sophomore towards my BS in Computer Science without any civilian classes...at a university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 AM

302 posts, read 1,394,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaStA View Post
Either way I don't know what you would use to transfer credits from other branches since it is hard to get a transcript when a college doesn't even exist. My CCAF transcript shows how many credits each are worth and everything. Oh well it made me a sophomore towards my BS in Computer Science without any civilian classes...at a university.
In the Navy and the Marines, they use what are called SMART transcripts. They take the education that the person has acquired such as first aid, military leadership schools as well as technical schools and convert those schools into ACE | Transcript FAQs (http://www.acenet.edu/Content/NavigationMenu/ProgramsServices/MilitaryPrograms/Transcript_FAQs.htm - broken link) accredited courses that in "theory" are supposed to be applied at the university level. In most cases these credits are not applied at the university level, but they are applied at the community college level as electives or credit for some foundation courses.

I personally had about 50 credits that consisted of technical schools and leadership training. None of those directly transferred to the university level, but around 12 were accepted at the community college level.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
In the Navy and the Marines, they use what are called SMART transcripts. They take the education that the person has acquired such as first aid, military leadership schools as well as technical schools and convert those schools into ACE | Transcript FAQs (http://www.acenet.edu/Content/NavigationMenu/ProgramsServices/MilitaryPrograms/Transcript_FAQs.htm - broken link) accredited courses that in "theory" are supposed to be applied at the university level. In most cases these credits are not applied at the university level, but they are applied at the community college level as electives or credit for some foundation courses.

I personally had about 50 credits that consisted of technical schools and leadership training. None of those directly transferred to the university level, but around 12 were accepted at the community college level.
Thank you for the information.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,574,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaStA View Post
It may not happen all the time, but the CG recruiter up top even said you go into non rate or whatever sometimes. I'm sure there are many variables involved.

So you are saying he went straight from MEPS processing to CG basic training? Then right after that he went straight to job training and then straight to a base or whatever the CG has doing the exact job he enlisted for? He never had to do some side work until his actual job came available?

I know he had to have some wait before leaving for basic training because I doubt the CG is pushing people out the door as fast as the Army.
That is exactly what I am saying. He went from MEPS onto a bus to the airport and off to Cape May for basic training. From there he came home on leave to pack up his stuff and reported to his first duty station a couple weeks later. He went right into S&R, and as soon as the boats were pulled began dismantling engines for routine maintenence. Since I got phone calls for each of his firsts- first S&R, first boating accident with a fatality, first S&R involving children, first time being shot at by a poacher, first letter in his jacket for having boats ready to go in water ahead of schedule- I know he wasn't sitting around doing busy work.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 AM

90 posts, read 563,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
That is exactly what I am saying. He went from MEPS onto a bus to the airport and off to Cape May for basic training. From there he came home on leave to pack up his stuff and reported to his first duty station a couple weeks later. He went right into S&R, and as soon as the boats were pulled began dismantling engines for routine maintenence. Since I got phone calls for each of his firsts- first S&R, first boating accident with a fatality, first S&R involving children, first time being shot at by a poacher, first letter in his jacket for having boats ready to go in water ahead of schedule- I know he wasn't sitting around doing busy work.
Was this the first or second time he went to MEPS? You normally go the first time to take the ASVAB and have a physical to be approved and to swear an oath while in the DEP, then you go back a second time for a final physical and to swear in to the Military branch selected, and thats the day you ship out to BMT.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,574,157 times
He took the ASVAB in high school. I only remember going once to MEPS to see him take the oath- they did a whole battery of tests that day, we were there for hours before he shipped out. We had to look for the building so I don't think he had been there before either. It has been 10 years, so maybe they do things differently now.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:29 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,638,586 times
MaStA, no offense taken. But you are wrong quite a bit on how the Coast Guard operates.

First, there is no "wait list" like many think. Sure, we don't take many people, but once we get a person through MEPS, and determine they are a good fit for the Coast Guard (75 AFQT of greater, fully qualified medically, no waivers needed), there isn't some huge wait like many people think. Generally, once through MEPS, we can get a ship day a couple months out. It just has to be at least 30 days out so we can run a FBI background check. We do that on every person joining.

As for a person coming in, and being the Coast Guard's "whiping boy" as a non-rate, that's not true either. Sure we don't go straight from boot camp to A School, but that's not to hand off the crappy jobs on junior coasties. Now don't get me wrong, they will do some things they may not want to do, but everybody at every rank in every service does also. As an E-3 non rate, you may be boarding team qualified, boarding vessels doing federal law enforcement, crashing through waves out to save someone in peril, or even at an air station getting qualified on aircraft. These junior people are our future senior personnel.

It makes no sense for someone to go straight from boot camp to train for a job they read a paragraph about. With the wide variety of things we do, why would you do that? Sure we only have 21 jobs, but within those 21 jobs we accomplish all the things the Coast Guard needs us to. That's why we require such high standards. We need to make sure these people can learn and do all the things we ask them to. I need to make sure little Johnny will have my back on a boarding 5 years down the line, because there's a chance we may work together some day.

I didn't take offense to most of your post, but when you say non rates are the ******* of the Coast Guard, that's just not true. I treat a non rate with the same respect as a Chief, and I expect the same.

As for the credits, we do something similar to the Navy. We have an office that transfers your Coast Guard training into ACE credits. They'll even send an official transcript to the school you plan on attending.

And don't take this post as a "my service is better than yours", because it's not. Every branch is a great branch, and essential to the functioning of our country.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:42 PM

Coast Guard only accepts a 75 AFQT or higher? Never heard that one before.

I just had someone process at MEPS today for me who was speaking with the coast guard and he said they told him he would have to wait about a year to leave for basic training and only had two jobs to choose from. I think he had a 59 AFQT if I remember correctly (obviously not the highest score in the world, but decent).

The non rate stuff I've heard and read. Glad to hear even more info. Either way the CQ recruiters very little people each year and meet their quota at the beginning of the year I believe so once they are full they are full and that is where the long wait would come.

I've always been told the CG is a great way to go just as the AF is.

Either way we are all learning something hopefully.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:47 PM

21,186 posts, read 5,516,490 times
The two main reasons I didn't join the CG were: fear of getting sea sick and the CG recruiter acted as if he had no time for anyone.

The AF recruiter was just the opposite, he made the time for everyone. I had an office job in the AF so, Stateside, I worked Monday through Friday, 9-5, with holidays and week-ends off. Talk to both recruiters in detail and then make your decision.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
The two main reasons I didn't join the CG were: fear of getting sea sick and the CG recruiter acted as if he had no time for anyone.

The AF recruiter was just the opposite, he made the time for everyone. I had an office job in the AF so, Stateside, I worked Monday through Friday, 9-5, with holidays and week-ends off. Talk to both recruiters in detail and then make your decision.
I hear that from a lot of people and it so happens the local Navy recruiters are pricks and don't care about their job either. The CG probably already made their goal so they have no worries.

Either you love the water or you don't. Sometimes a branch isn't good for a person whether it be the AF, CG, etc. and sometimes none are good for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues