Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:14 PM

97 posts, read 388,838 times

Advertisements

My husband will be retiring from the Navy in 3 years.
We are currently in Virginia but we don't know if we want to stay here because of taxes.
We like it here but would like to be able to afford a small house but the prices here are just out of this world.
Is there such a thing as a perfect place for military retirees????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 02:24 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,491,966 times
Texas

Old 12-31-2008, 09:18 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,087,323 times
North West Fl, you have Pensacola NAS, Eglin AFB, Whitting Field, Hurlburt Field and Tyndall AFB... Many jobs, low housing cost and 2 regional hospitals and two VA facilities (one a regional unit)...

Old 12-31-2008, 11:29 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,763,177 times
Las Vegas is also a popular place, no state income tax. Nellis AFB has a large BX and Commissary, there is also a new large VA Hospital being built.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,411,564 times
Yes, all the locations mentioned are very nice places to retire. I'll throw in WA state as a viable option as many retirees' can agree.

It has an abundance of gov't bases, be it Army, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard & Marines...throughout the state , Seattle and Spokane have very good medical staff at the VA hospitals . Camping, boating, snow & water skiing galore on both sides of the state... and oh yes, no state tax either...This is my home state, if you have any specific questions, pop me a pm... Good luck on what your decision will be...

Old 01-01-2009, 05:49 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,402,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispirit View Post
My husband will be retiring from the Navy in 3 years.
We are currently in Virginia but we don't know if we want to stay here because of taxes.
We like it here but would like to be able to afford a small house but the prices here are just out of this world.
Is there such a thing as a perfect place for military retirees????
Will your husband work after he retires? The west coast COL is much higher. Hopefully in 3 years the economy will be much better. I wouldn't jump ship just yet!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 AM

37,211 posts, read 60,920,437 times
I moved to Maine.

The local depressed economy [Not the nationwide depressed economy, but the local one], has meant that Mainers have for decades been supporting their family's on minimum wage jobs.

I was able to move to Maine, buy 40+ acres of rural dense forest with river frontage for $900/acre. And build a 2400sq ft house for just under $50k.

My Dw commutes 20 miles and works in a DECA commissary. We live minutes from I-95 freeway, have ready access to a state university, international airport, teaching hospital, and shopping.

When the locals commonly earn very low wages, it makes my pension 'look' much bigger.

Folks will complain that Maine has 'high' taxes. I do not see that. Our combined incomes are not high enough to begin paying income taxes. While we own a bunch of land and a large new house, our property taxes have been under $50/year.

I know that Maine has a rep for being cold. So far this winter we did get one snow dump of 14 inches, a week before Christmas. No further accumulation has came. The last 2 winters we got one 'dump' and the rest were 1/10 inch accumulations that blew away before the next storm came through.

We get through the winter on about 3 cords of wood.

With all of our forest, our sons do cut wood and sell firewood. Green firewood sells for $150/cord. Seasoned firewood sells for $200/cord.

So our winter heating bill would run about $500 [if we bought our firewood].

One other thing, I prefer to be 'away' from Mil Med. This gives us greater access to civilian doctors and medical centers. Tricare has a local underwriter in this area called 'Martins Point', a regular civilian HMO. So we use them, and we can be seen by most any doctor at either of the local hospitals, or medical centers. 'Martins Point' lists most of the local doctors as their preferred PCPs.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:37 AM

37,211 posts, read 60,920,437 times
I should say;
We moved to Maine in 2005.

I enjoy the hunting and fishing. We see moose, deer, beaver, and wild turkey on our land.

We keep 2 kayaks tied up in the river 20paces from our back door.

That I am also a vendor at a local Organic Farmer's Market. We have some greenhouses, beehives, and raised bed gardens. I have planted an apple orchard, and we are prepping some maple trees for sugar production.

We have also noticed that local apartment buildings market for fairly low prices, so we have been meeting a realtor and shopping around looking at 3-unit buildings up to 6-unit buildings. Most are in need of repair, but they are filled with tenants and have positive cash flows. We are thinking about buying one or two apartment buildings. I am a ready handyman, the cash flow is not bad, and it would be nice to provide housing for the poor.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:59 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,234,699 times
Dover, DE has many retired military. Dover AFB, no state sales tax, low property taxes, low car insurance, and the housing costs are very affordable. There are four seasons, but winters generally are temperate (not so much this year). Easy to drive around and there is still farm land. Near the beach and lots of shopping.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:35 PM

1,765 posts, read 7,302,128 times
Most will go where the work is, but you can control that if you start early enough.

My first offer was right in DC, and I took it, but started looking south right away.

AL, TX, SC, NC, GA or any state with tax breaks, tax breaks for Veterans, a strong job market and affordable housing.

I've always been told tolerance for the cold begins to fade as you get older, so we picked the deep south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues