Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:56 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times

Advertisements

Wait - I need to know more about BWW.

Can my husband show his active duty id and get a discount on wings? Please say yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Discounts for military will vary quite a bit from region to region and also the status of the service member. Here in Vermont where I currently am only one Home Depot has started to offer the military discount on a regular basis where it used to only be on Memorial and Veterans Day. I did find one cashier who always would give it to me, so yes the company supports it, but local managers may not. Lowes in my area will not offer the discount. Some places still set criteria to give it to active duty, but not reservists or retirees or dependants for that matter. The new ID cards now do not specify if you are active or reserve. Times have changed to where now there are many reservists who have served multiple combat tours versus active members who may not have served even one. The only way to really know if a particular store or business will give a discount is to call ahead and verify and remember when it comes to chain outlets the policy may vary from store to store. I have even found one store where I buy outdoor gear which specified their military discount to a particular unit affiliation.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:01 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Both Home Depot and Lowes have corporate policies that all vets get 10% off, all year around.

They do not always advertise it though. Sometimes you have to ask for it.
Really?

I have been denied the 10% MANY times at both HD and Lowes. In fact HD told me they only do the 10% on Vets Day weekend...and you have to pick up a coupon ahead of time!!

Do you know by chance if this is written anywhere? I'd like to have it for a reference. I bought a $2K pellet stove last year and saving $200 would have made a big difference!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Just an update on Lowes home improvement store....

went to my local one and asked for the discount- no problem-just called a guy for a card or code.

Wow! Same store a few months ago was told, "no discount"

Coming back from the VA hospital today I stopped at a Lowes on the way home and asked for the discount- the lady said they didn't have a military discount. I requested she ask the head cashier and she got almost nasty with me-pitching a fit (you know, the loud sigh, eyes roll up)

I didn't budge and just stood there looking at her and she called- and sure enough a guy appeared with the card to scan.

She didn't apologize or anything.

So, Lowes does offer the discount.
You must have been at the same store I went to on Long Island :-)

Old 02-21-2009, 05:04 PM

BTW...the Disney deal this year is FANTASTIC. It is basically a $250 ticket for free (and about $125 for family members)

Old 02-21-2009, 07:07 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Really?

I have been denied the 10% MANY times at both HD and Lowes. In fact HD told me they only do the 10% on Vets Day weekend...and you have to pick up a coupon ahead of time!!

Do you know by chance if this is written anywhere? I'd like to have it for a reference. I bought a $2K pellet stove last year and saving $200 would have made a big difference!
I know a group of military retirees who work at HD.

They have told me that it is corporate policy. It is the mid-management of the sales clerks who is the stick in the mud.

Even the HD employees who are military ID card holders have problems form time to time.

Write a letter to HD corporate office and tell them what happened.

Then send a copy to your local newspaper as a letter to the editor. Tell your community how your local HD is treating the vets.

Make a HUGE sign, park in front of HD and hang the sign over your vehicle.

"This store violates it's own corporate policy by refusing discounts to vets"
"The manager who made this decision is: blah blah"

Make them walk by your vehicle, while seeing what idiots that store's managers are.

If I were you I would humiliate that store.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:36 AM

317 posts, read 535,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Wait - I need to know more about BWW.

Can my husband show his active duty id and get a discount on wings? Please say yes.
if not, its a sad sad world... all the BWW's in the Metro Detroit area do. 10%, the same as senior discount.

you could use any government ID. right now, im contracted by the army to do IT support, but not Gov't, i have an ID that looks like i am though!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:52 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Really?

I always get the 10% discount at Lowes. They said you just have to ask and show your card.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:41 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,287 times
Default Home depot update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Really! I've asked but was told "sorry, no". I'm in the process of renovating, too. Spent 3 grand already with tons more to go!
I was told to look at Store Finder to get the local places for Home Depot and call there as the Store Manager may make the decision.

Call the stores and ask. (I pushed 3 for my first choice and then "0" for my second choice to bypass all of that and get to customer service quickly.) Every one I called had a different policy!

Here is what I got in the Tulsa, OK area.

9808 E. 71st 918 459-3700 in early Feb 2009 said no they would not; only on special days such as Veterans Day. UPDATE: YES I called a few days later 2/26/09 at 2:27 pm the customer service lady said if the Vet will ask for it and show their Veterans ID they will!

8808 S Delaware 918 299-3028 NO. Not unless they have a coupon.

4041 S Sheridan Rd 918 632-0069 No Only discount is tax exemption for disabled veterans

901 S. Elgin 918 583-3400 No. Only Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and Veterans Day

9450 N. 129th E Ave (Owasso) 918 376-9975 YES. 10% but can't exceed $200 (She advised this was per specialties manager Ted.) Good for Ted!!

I'd recommend before going that you call and ask. Write down the persons name, the date and time when you got a yes and take it with you.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inman1979 View Post
I currently serve and have for quite some time now, with that being said I have done tons of research involving deals for military members. I have found a few Great thing that would be nice, especially for those who have just returned from overseas, such as this.. Discovery Cruise Lines offers a free one day cruise to the Grand Bahamas, it's simple to sign up and I know people that have done it and enjoyed it Very much. The website has all of the details. Next offer that I have found is a Walt Disney offers a free 5 day pass to Walt Disney World Resort in Florida! There are allot of extras that come with this package known as the "Disney's Armed Forces Salute". I found that on the website Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort offical website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy, Air there are tons of different offers available, check it out!

Warren

When I started I did not know that a Military discount did not necessarily include Veterans. I was told by several Veterans that they no longer have a Military ID once they become a Veteran; then then have a Veterans ID.

I have called Disney and Universal and been told that no they will NOT offer a discount to Veterans....only active or retirees...and retirees are not the same as Veterans. (It was explained that one can be a Veteran without being a retiree. I am trying to learn.)

Several of the businesses I called said they thought by saying Military Discount it automatically included Veterans and never intended to make Veterans feel left out.

If anyone knows of any Veterans discounts please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues