Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:25 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
NO. If any recruiter tells you that you can, they are lying.
So I guess the whole US Army Station of Choice Enlistment Option is a figment of my imagination. I didn't get that when I joined in 1987. It was all a lie?

The simple fact is that if you qualify for this option and this option is available to you at the time you negotiate at the MEPS, you will get it, just like it says in the contract, the recruiting regulation, and all the promotional materials.

The option is still there, plus many other options, as an incentive for qualified applicants who pick jobs where it is offered.

In fact, it wasn't too long ago, I got that option for several of my applicants when I was a recruiter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 11:12 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,325,635 times
OK, Caution... I appologize if I were wrong. I think I was thinking of the Air Force... which has no such option. If the Army does, then I was wrong. I'll be more careful next time with jumping to definitive answers.

I guess what I was thinking of was that I was told by my recruiter that someone would ask me in basic where I wanted to be stationed.

If you don't have it in writting, and the recruiter tells you that you'll be able to pick in basic or tech training, he's lying.

If it's in writting then it's probably true, but there's probably a clause about how if the needs of the Army change (base being placed on Brac, etc) then it would be negated.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:22 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,122 times
Yeah, Army gets to offer a few more enlistment options than the rest (namely the Station or Unit of Choice and the MOS Choice (the later goes to every applicant) due to the size of the force.

Recruiters who "lie" don't last long at all. And honestly, they probably do ask you where you "want" to go, and I bet it's on file for you right now! Problem is, as you have discovered, if it's not in writing on the enlistment contract (done at the MEPS by a guidance counselor, not a recruiter) then you don't have it :-)

Old 01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,490 times
Caution, You are right on the money! If it is writing on the contract it will happen PERIOD! If this trooper had Station or Unit of Choice they would KNOW where they were going when they left MEPS with a Job!
Most Army Recruiters cannot afford to lie! It is a career "rung" (like Drill Sgt) that you have to do to stay the long haul...It is usally the strangest 3 years of ones career and you could get "fired" (Army Style) or do time in the big house if you are caught lying.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 22,588 times
First off, congratulations on graduating AIT!
Next let me help you with a few things, I have been in the Army for a several years now and have been deployed for 15 months. I have dealt with everything from S1 reporting me AWOL and stopping my pay, when i wasn't, to getting married in the midst of PCSing. The previous post are great, have allot of great info. but not entirely correct. If you can get ammendments to your orders adding your new spouse, you will and can be afforded all the same benefits anyone else would, to include DLA, military housing, BAH, BAS, and all the other things us married folk have. Also once you have your orders ammended you can have your wifes hosehold goods TMO'd to you new duty station anlong with yours. First thing you need to do is get your wife enroled into DEERS!! Next get those ammendments!!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:16 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
They have you fill out the infamous "DREAM SHEET". It usually means you're dreaming if you think you're getting one of your choices.My friends had gotten some of theirs though but me I put in for the east coast in 1992 (Air Force) and wound up at Whiteman AFB in Knob Noster,Missouri. Dead center in the middle of the map and nowhere even close to where I asked,but you never know.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 12,168 times
Is it true that they are sending active duty soulders to iraq right out of job training

Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Well, if there's a school you want to go to at that duty station, all you have to do is pick a job that requires that school and you'll end up there. For example, in the Navy, it used to be that a lot of admin rates were in Meridian, MS. So if you wanted to be stationed there for a while, you picked an admin rate when they asked you what you wanted to do. Also, if you want to get stationed in Groton, CT, try to get on subs.

Otherwise, much of the time it's "Bzzzz. Try again." But mine was easy to fill. Send me to the largest Navy base on the east coast. Done. Probably could have got the same results requesting San Diego or Long Beach.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:11 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kanarydiamond View Post
Is it true that they are sending active duty soulders to iraq right out of job training
The military has always deployed soldiers after completing basic and AIT (job training). At that point they are fully qualified and will be supervised and further trained by NCOs.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:33 PM

7,183 posts, read 4,764,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild825 View Post
ok, i enlisted in the army and as soon i come home from training i will be leaving again for my first duty station. first off, what do i have to do for my fiancee can come with me. second, will i get to chose my first duty station.
i will be an MP if it helps any.
OMG! No, you cannot choose your first duty station. You will be sent to wherever the Army needs you.

My son is an MP. On his "dream sheet", he requested NY and other places in the Northeast. Where did the Army sent him? Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues