Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 70,808 times

Advertisements

ok, i enlisted in the army and as soon i come home from training i will be leaving again for my first duty station. first off, what do i have to do for my fiancee can come with me. second, will i get to chose my first duty station.
i will be an MP if it helps any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Fiancees don't count. You have to be legally married. Once you are married, if your orders have not been cut, you may receive an accompanied assignment if the Army so chooses. If you marry after you have moved, and it is a CONUS assignment, your new bride and you will have to foot her moving expenses, but once she is in the system she should be able to access base services like the MTF.

If you are sent overseas, your new wife will have to be command sponsored. I am not sure of the process.

I don't know about choosing your duty station. Your MOS would likely be at many many posts so perhaps there is a way to request assignments since there would be openings at lots of posts. In the AF, people have a "dream sheet" which lists base assignment preferences. For some career fields, it actually works out. I am not sure how the Army does it.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild825 View Post
ok, i enlisted in the army and as soon i come home from training i will be leaving again for my first duty station. first off, what do i have to do for my fiancee can come with me. second, will i get to chose my first duty station.
i will be an MP if it helps any.
I also do know how the army works. I would assume if the army allows you to pick, it would be in your contract when you picked your job at meps. You did say you enlisted therefore if your contract is done, I'd imagine a ton of red tape to go back and add a location (assuming it's even possible)...

You may want to consider eloping at a justice of the peace before leaving for basic. Then do the real ceremony with friends and family after you're done with training. You can collect BAH, BAS and family separation while you train and at the end of the training, uncle sam will pay her for move and her belonging from back home. She also gets free health care, while you're gone. If she already has a job where she has to pay monthly for health care, she can cancel. If you do get married, be sure and keep your recruiter informed...

Old 01-12-2009, 03:29 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
No, once you sign the contract, you can not pick your duty station...sorry. Like the other OP said, if it's not in your contract, it is non-existant. MP is a busy MOS, so you may end up going where they are undermanned.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 70,860 times
You do not need to be command sponsored to have your spouse go overseas. My husband was just stationed in Korea a little over a year ago and I was able to go with (without being command sponsored), in fact none of my friends there (other army wives) were command sponsored. But you do have to be married to have her go to any duty station with you.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 PM

312 posts, read 1,017,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyd519 View Post
You do not need to be command sponsored to have your spouse go overseas. My husband was just stationed in Korea a little over a year ago and I was able to go with (without being command sponsored), in fact none of my friends there (other army wives) were command sponsored. But you do have to be married to have her go to any duty station with you.

I beg to differ...

IF your wife wants medical, and the BAH of being married.. YES YES YES they have to be command sponsored. Korea is changing and bases are open for families moving there...

We just finished a tour in Germany where I was not command sponsored to be there (we did a HOP from Charleston SC to Spangdahlem GE) and then got Command Sponsored.

Being Command Sponsored means that your WIFE has to have an interview with a person from Medical seeing that they are mentally OKAY and medically fine to be overseas.

Just showing up does NOT mean you are good to go!

BTW ( we were stationed CONUS many many many miles away from a base)

AND - I visited him while he was stationed in Korea... visiting and living are TWO totally different things.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
I guess I put it incorrectly. If you want your wife to live on base with you, she needs to be command sponsored. If she wants to live as an expat, and not get medical care on base (or perhaps maybe maybe get it if the MTF allows and there is space), then command sponsorship is not necessary.

It can get tricky though. You have to look at the SOFA (status of forces agreement) plus if you are required to live on base (when we were in Iceland the SOFA required you to live on base) you will have to live separately or break the rules and live with her off base and risk getting in trouble.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Based on over 20 years in the military;
First off, as an E-1, 2, or 3, you can't AFFORD to be married! Even if she can find a job, you can't afford it! If/when the babies come (and they will, usually at the worst possible time!), you REALLY can't afford it. As an E-4, maybe. As an E-5 and up, it becomes possible.

Check with your career counselor about assignments. You can ask for a specific assignment, but there is no guarantee you will get it. They WILL send you where they need you. Quite possibly, to a place where the name ends in -stan!

Also, check into what rank you have to hold to get transportation for dependents. I really doubt if the Army is going to pay for your wife to accompany you until you are at least E-4 over four years of service. I don't KNOW if it is still that way, but it was when I was on active duty.
As previously stated, as far as the military is concerned, a fiancee does not exist. Until you can bring that marriage license in, she is a non-person. She is not eligible for ANY benefits, period. You can, however, name her as beneficiary of your SGLI.

You really need to ask these questions of your Career Counselor. Regulations change frequently, and the military is trying to be more family friendly. It is very doubtful that you can find up-to-date information on an internet forum like this one. Very definitely do NOT go to anybody in authority (First Sergeant, Plattoon sergeant, Company Commander, etc.) and say "But I read on the 'net..."! They will very likely have unkind things to say about your gullibility!
Good luck.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:03 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
NO. If any recruiter tells you that you can, they are lying.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Once you are married, she is a dependant. Will get full benefits Immediately... not sponsorhip needed for benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues