U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM

1,881 posts, read 4,942,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
VegasGrace, good information here. But I also thought there was something in the military code of conduct of a husband not supporting his wife. They are still husband and wife. He is receiving pay for having dependents, and the wife is considered a dependent. It is my interpretation that her concern is really about his ability to pay their bills not that she is looking for a spousal support (am I wrong OP?)?

Analyze this, that is correct... but it is not her job or place to enforce it by hacking into Mypay... sorry I'm harping on this mypay thing, but to me that's a big deal. I'm glad she's getting a lawyer.

I'm not judging anything about the marriage or her right to support, just his right to privacy. There are better ways to get information (ASK HIM) or get a lawyer and ask for disclosure, then accessing a government computer system.

She could set up allotments, buy savings bonds, change his retirement plan and all kinds of other stuff from HIS mypay that she has no right to do. I'm not suggesting that she did those things, but that it why she shouldn't be accessing it.

What if he does something like that and then blames her in court?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The big worry the OP should have is if her husband's pay grade is one pay grade lower than it was 5 years ago, there soon might be no husband in the military and thus no military pay.

(and --that--is something you have no control over )

True, but that's his career. She can quit her job and stop paying whenever she wants... and he can do the same. OMG... I'm just dumbfounded by this all. He's still his own person.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 PM

621 posts, read 934,354 times
dmarie123 I disagree. I get paid through mypay as a civilian and when I was on extended travel gave my mother my pin to make some allotment changes for me. The mere fact I gave her my pin meant I was authorizing her to use my account. Obviously if the OP had access to the account there was some agreement for her to do so between her and her spouse at some point and time. I would hardly consider this illegal. Bottom line is she is a SPOUSE, geezus shes been married to guy the for 10 years I mean I would think she has some rights here.

No wonder so many people don't want to get married. I mean if a spouse has no more rights than the girl next door what would be the incentive to get married? There is a reason marital vows say 'for better or for worse'. Her husband apparently went through something in his career that might have been a low point for him BUT he should have confided in his wife. Should she bury her head and then find out in a few months the military let him go, now they can't pay their mortgage, car payments, CC bills, utilities or whatever and be in gross debt and foreclosure? I bet the same people calling for 'privacy' would be questioning why she was out of touch with what was going on with her husband. No. I applaud her for being proactive and reality is karma is a b**ch if this is all smoke and mirrors then it'll come back to bite her in the a$$.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
From MyPay's website

"This is a Department of Defense (DOD) Computer System. This computer system, including all related equipment, networks, and network devices (specifically including Internet access), is provided only for authorized U.S. Government use."
I guess they should arrest my mom

Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 PM

wait...where did the OP said she got the info from mypay? And if she indeed get it from mypay and had the PIN as would have needed to be provided by her husband, how is that hacking?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 PM

Her first post mentioned mypay. Perhaps hacking was too strong of a word. I take that back.

Perhaps her husband did give her access, but in light of the fact that it doesn't even sound like they're talking, do you really think he's be cool with her snooping around in mypay?

Of course spouses have rights, but we still have rights to privacy too. Being married doesn't mean giving up your rights completely.

I don't think either of us are budging. That's OK. We can agree to disagree....

Good thing we didn't marry each other.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 PM

5,291 posts, read 10,364,793 times
Drinking in the service will have it's consequences.

Father in law (retired air force 26yrs) was a master sgt and turned down Warrannt Officer three times because he wanted to drink with his buddies..it later killed him soon after retiring.

Brother in law also air force barely made his 20 yrs and was demoted many times and his wife begged the chaplin to have him permitted to renlist his final four yrs to complete the 20. They wanted to dump him due to his drinking.

A lifer with many yrs in rank is going nowhere. Promotion means more money...demotion means drop in pay...screw up and suffer the consequences.

While in the service...I turned down the chance for OCS and a few months later did lose a stripe for screwing up. Did later get it back. The CO can do what ever his command allows him to do...comes with the rank.

Sorry about your problem.

Military and Marriage are a separate institutions...one cannot dictate the other.

Steve

Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 PM

13 posts, read 18,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Her first post mentioned mypay. Perhaps hacking was too strong of a word. I take that back.

Perhaps her husband did give her access, but in light of the fact that it doesn't even sound like they're talking, do you really think he's be cool with her snooping around in mypay?

Of course spouses have rights, but we still have rights to privacy too. Being married doesn't mean giving up your rights completely.

I don't think either of us are budging. That's OK. We can agree to disagree....

Good thing we didn't marry each other.
dmarie we do speak but he tells me things selectively like i found out recently.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:20 PM

43 posts, read 109,917 times
I am a navy spouse, former Ombudsman, former AD Yeoman... just from my experience as far as info is concerned... he gave her his PIN, therefore giving her authorization to use it. He can go in and change his PIN at anytime, but he has not. Now, if he does not want her to access this info anymore, he needs to take the steps to correct this. However, if she were to contact anyone concerning her husbands records pay or service, they should tell her that it is privacy act information and she should contact her service member. He does have the right to privacy (not taking his side, he sounds like a real jerk!), so they should not give her info concerning that information. However she is still entitled to support as long as they are married, whether they live together or not. He is responsible for his dependents.

I think it is a good idea that you have retained a lawyer concerning this and it is best to just handle things and move on. I hate when I see situations such as this because it is just a sad situation. Good luck to you and I hope that you can resolve things quickly.

Last edited by sunrico90; 01-16-2009 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Thread is off-topic from OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues