U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM

35 posts, read 124,805 times

Advertisements

I have been in the AF for 12 years now. I have a tattoo on each of my hands about about the size of a silver dollar just before my thumbs. I haven't had any problems for them as of yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 05:40 AM

29,839 posts, read 37,206,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Spot on...

I'm surprised she was even allowed to swear in if they wanted her to remove it...Also, I don't understand how "dots" are offensive yet a peach would be acceptable...

Long shot, perhaps your daughter just told you she was told that as she wanted a peach but thought you'd disapprove?
No, she meant to cover the black with peach or white ink so it wouldn't show.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,629 times
They might have considered it offensive because gangs use dots to specify the gang they are in

Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 AM

3,069 posts, read 7,033,049 times
The biggest issue with the tattoo is probably that she got it while in the DEP. At least in the Marine Corps, and my local AF recruiting office, you can not get any new tattoos once you're in the DEP. Doing so will make you subject to DEP discharge.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,489 times
they told me i was disqualified bc it was bigger than a dollar bill if i get it removed am i still disqualified?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 AM

930 posts, read 1,439,567 times
Latest guidance from the SMA is that the Army will start cracking down on visible tats. If you can't cover it with clothing, you are probably at risk.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM

22,783 posts, read 34,447,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd5 View Post
they told me i was disqualified bc it was bigger than a dollar bill if i get it removed am i still disqualified?
Who is they? What branch?
United States Air Force
United States Army
United States Coast Guard
United States Marine Corps
United States Navy
Reserve? National Guard?
They have different regulations...

Rich

Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,431,963 times
If her branch wants them removed, they will take care of it during basic. If the unit commander does not care during basic, then she will just wait and see if her LT.Colonel says anything once she arrives at her first duty station.

I had a friend who had to get his removed. He actually made money on the deal as they sent him to AZ to have it removed on TDY.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 AM

22,783 posts, read 34,447,638 times
Quote:
There was a time when that artwork gone wrong could be eliminated, free of charge, at larger military hospitals. But with changes in the Defense Department regulations for cosmetic surgery that took effect last year, free tattoo removal for troops is mostly a thing of the past.
No, that doesn’t mean you’re stuck with “Jenny 4 Ever.”
Elective tattoo removal is still available in the military health system, but the odds are strong you’ll have to pay for it.
At Naval Medical Center San Diego, for instance, troops who want to have a tattoo removed now start with their primary care provider, officials there said. This will generally lead to a referral to the Dermatology Laser Clinic, where the patient is evaluated and the work is sized up.
If there’s no room in the schedule, the patient goes on a 28-day waiting list, hospital officials said. No room for tattoo removal this month? The service member is instead referred to a civilian clinic and must absorb 100 percent of the removal cost.
The entire article is here: New regulations rule out nearly all free removals for troops - Military Off Duty, Army Health, military fitness, army physical fitness - Army Times

Rich

Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 PM

61 posts, read 149,033 times
I think the reg for the AF is no offensive material or a tattoo that covers more than 1/4 of the exposed body part. Don't know about the other branches. When I joined I was asked to sign a waiver that I would have it removed if necessary and I did, but no one ever gave me trouble about it once I was in. I had it removed later because I wanted to and my insurance paid for the treatment. The recruiter is full of bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues