U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 16,618 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the Navy and our family is moving to Great Lakes, IL at the end of the summer. I really don't know anything about the area. I have been on different sides of the spectrum as far as living situations go, from growing up in a small southern town with two stoplights to where we are stationed now in southern CA. I am not sure where Great Lakes is on that spectrum. Since we have been in southern CA since our marriage, I also have never been through that kind of big move through the military system. I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips anyone can give me on the area or the moving process through the Navy. HELP!...I don't have a clue what I am doing. Thanks os much!

We also have kids who are elementary school age, so any info on the school system there will be great too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 01:17 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajill View Post
My husband is in the Navy and our family is moving to Great Lakes, IL at the end of the summer. I really don't know anything about the area. I have been on different sides of the spectrum as far as living situations go, from growing up in a small southern town with two stoplights to where we are stationed now in southern CA. I am not sure where Great Lakes is on that spectrum. Since we have been in southern CA since our marriage, I also have never been through that kind of big move through the military system. I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips anyone can give me on the area or the moving process through the Navy. HELP!...I don't have a clue what I am doing. Thanks os much!

We also have kids who are elementary school age, so any info on the school system there will be great too.
https://www.cnic.navy.mil/greatlakes/index.htm

Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,773,223 times
In short, don't be overwhelmed...Take everything one step at a time. Is this YOUR first mil move and his also? If so, the military will require him to attend a briefing before he can leave which will give him step by step directions of what to do. If he has moved before, he'll know what to do.

There are two different types of moves, a moving company do it for you, or a do it yourself move, which when you rent a truck. You typically make money from a DITY but you have a lot more effort.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
If he is going to GL to be an instructor, they will move the household items.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM

12 posts, read 89,078 times
The area is I guess bigger city, but not huge like San Diego ? We are stationed here and I lived in the area all my life. I will say I do not particularly like the Waukegan/Gurnee area to live. Its got some pretty dicey areas. If you go to the North just over the IL border you'll find Kenosha, where I grew up and I love it there. Perfect size town, in reasonable driving distance to the base as well as a direct Metra train that will take you right to the base. (and Chicago for that matter) Im not sure whats south of the base, Im just familiar with the north

Old 01-29-2009, 06:06 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
I went to boot camp at Great Lakes. I think this is where they invented winter.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:07 AM

443 posts, read 1,904,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajill View Post

Hey, check out CinCHouse - Military Messageboard - Basic Training - Military Wives - Army Wives it's a forum like this only it's all military spouses. I am sure you'll get to meet for people who are living there now. Good luck!!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 PM

7 posts, read 19,986 times
Will you consider living in Kenosha, Wisconsin? It is the border city with Illinois, and not far from the base. Many military families rent or buy in Kenosha. Kenosha has the best school! Check around and compare the schools.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,861 times
well my husband is in great Lakes and my self and our 5 yr old daughter will be moving to Gurnee Il first week in april.. i have been over there and i myself seem to think that area is very nice.. alot of places short distance to base and seems safe to raise a child in! i dont really know of any other towns besides gurnee and waukegan.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:34 PM

5,321 posts, read 10,582,073 times
I grew up just a few miles north of Great Lakes Naval Base, in neighboring Waukegan. Do lots of research before you move and network with your new base. Don't move to North Chicago (just outside the base) and be careful of certain areas of Waukegan, Round Lake, etc. If you have any questions just shoot me a dm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues