Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Went TDY to Tyndall in the early 1980's. When we arrived at the Billeting Office Front Desk, the pretty youg clerk said "Hi! Welcome to L.A.!" We looked at each other like we'd been taken to the wrong base. She quickly added "That's 'Lower Alabama', Y'all"! I really enjoyed being TDY there. but that's different than being permanent party or AGR...
Years ago I went to some courses at Fort Rucker, AL, about 90 miles North of Tyndall. They sure have some nice beaches an Panama City.

Come on up to An Army Post (Repaired) you'al!!!

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-30-2011 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 04:30 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Years ago I went to some courses at Fort Rucker, AL, about 90 miles North of Tyndall. They sure have some nice beaches an Panama City.

Come on up to An Army Post (Repaired) you'al!!!

Rich
Rich, I sure hope everyone knows that you're referring to the U.S. Army post near Dothan, AL instead of some made-up base that sounds like an obscenity!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-30-2011 at 07:00 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Rich, I sure hope everyone knows that you're referring to the U.S. Army post near Dothan, AL instead of some made-up base that sounds like an obscenity!
Wow... I guess I have to punish myself?

Anyway, if for some reason you don't like Tyndall go North 90 miles to the Army Installation.....

Rich

Old 05-30-2011, 03:15 PM

135 posts, read 225,982 times
I was stationed there from 98-04 and had the best time of my life. Granted, i was between the ages of 20 and 26ish so you can imagine why i had a good time. It is just like every other base in the military......ITS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. Get out there and enjoy it. Everybody moans and groans about wherever they are stationed. It's your own fault if you didn't enjoy it, get rid of the negative attitude. I'm stationed at Shaw AFB in SC now and before i got here i didn't hear a single good thing about the place but it's all what you make of it. Go to Tyndall and have a great time.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:54 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
putting the ol' "it's what you make of it" bla fest aside....looks like spouse will be transferred to tyndall this fall. I haven't seen my 20s in many years and don't care about the party scene. But, I do have two small children and worry about education and crime.

I'm REALLY concerned about the schools down there. Are they as bad as I am hearing??? And is base housing an option, read there has been alot of renovations and closures with housing.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
putting the ol' "it's what you make of it" bla fest aside....looks like spouse will be transferred to tyndall this fall. I haven't seen my 20s in many years and don't care about the party scene. But, I do have two small children and worry about education and crime.

I'm REALLY concerned about the schools down there. Are they as bad as I am hearing??? And is base housing an option, read there has been alot of renovations and closures with housing.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks
I was stationed at Tyndall from 2000 - 2009 when I retired. My family and I lived on base the whole time. We also had young kids while we lived there. When I left in 2009 they had just completed a whole new section of base housing, which was very nice. The also put in playgrounds and walking paths. There are also 2 swimming pools on base, and one is now in base housing, which they finished right when I left. They good thing about having young kids is there will always be someone to play with if you decide to live on base. Crime is pretty non existant on base other than maybe noise compliants or people speeding. The SP's patrol regularly and there is a SP sub station in base housing. In additon to the beach there is also a nice lake on base (all though you can't swim in it due to gators) that is nice just to go relax at. If you like to bowl they have a nice little bowling center there, good people, I bowled in a few leagues there and met some good folks and had some good times. They also just finished a new state of the art gym if your into fitness. There is also a beautiful golf course on base too and cheap to play!
As far as the schools, Tyndall Elementary school is one of the top rated schools around. I will agree that once your kids have to go off base to school for middle and high that is not the case, but still not as bad as many areas in the USA. Hope this helps you some!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
does help...thank you hash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues