U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,560,121 times

Advertisements

China has a big army but a smaller better trained better equipped force should be able to win that fight. Also, what I keep reading is they have never been tested in battle. So who is to say how good they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 04:49 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,776,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
China has a big army but a smaller better trained better equipped force should be able to win that fight. Also, what I keep reading is they have never been tested in battle. So who is to say how good they are.
Depends what you consider "that" fight...Too many "what if" scenarios, but as I've said, any country is it's strongest fighting a neighboring country...If we wanted to invade China, I don't think we'd win...If China wanted to invade us, I think we'd win...China is a huge force and the leaders have no rules to complete their mission...This involves implementing a "draft" for new soldiers...Use of kamikaze tactics...Beatings for under performing soldiers...Even the beheading of deserters...

Technically the we've been battled tested and don't have a great record against anything other than small conflicts...This is mainly because of the rules we have to follow, I also think there's way too much wasteful spending...

Old 01-20-2009, 09:31 PM

5,412 posts, read 6,215,138 times
We're just the best .

Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 PM

1,476 posts, read 4,037,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
We're just the best .
Agree so here are my runner ups:

Army - Israel
Navy - United Kingdom
Air Force - Israel

Numbers are not everything. 10 well equipped, well trained, and given the proper intel are better than 100 poorly equipped and poorly trained soldiers. The wild card is the will to fight, and belief in what you are fighting for that makes a big difference as well.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,121,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Since becoming a Communist nation in 1949, China has participated in:

- invasion and conquest of Tibet in 1950.
- 1950-53 Korean War (when China invaded North Korea to save their puppet state from the UN forces).
- Sino-Indian War of 1962 (when China invaded India).
- Vietnam War (1959 - 75) - Chinese troops assisted the PAVN in advisory roles and some very small numbers participated in combat. US Army Col. Bull Simmon's Green Beret's killed a whole bunch of Soviet and Chinese "advisers" during the raid on Son Tay in 1970.
- Sino-Vietnamese War of 1979 (when China invaded Vietnam).

Chinese troops are currently training Robert Mugabe's military and police in Zimbabwe. China also provided substantial military aid to Mugabe during the Rhodesian Civil War as well as to the rebel forces fighting against the Portuguese during the 1960s and 70s in the wars of independence in Angola and Mozambique ... China also helped prop up communist governments in the post colonial era in those 2 nations as well.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:51 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,776,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Agree so here are my runner ups:

Army - Israel
Navy - United Kingdom
Air Force - Israel

Numbers are not everything. 10 well equipped, well trained, and given the proper intel are better than 100 poorly equipped and poorly trained soldiers. The wild card is the will to fight, and belief in what you are fighting for that makes a big difference as well.
How come we, "the best" couldn't win 'Nam or currently in Iraq or Afgan in the relatively long time frames? Certainly isn't money...If the Iraq war never started, we'd be 3 Trillion dollars richer...The best answer is they enemy was smart enough to focus on our weaknesses...To utilize schools and hospitals as strongholds...To pump themselves full of steroids and adrenaline to become "super human", if they get hit in non lethal area's, they can still fight at their peak for another half hour. Also the one-two punch with the EIDs...Set off a small bomb to kill a few, when medical arrives to assist the injuried, set off the big bomb...

Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 PM

1,476 posts, read 4,037,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
How come we, "the best" couldn't win 'Nam or currently in Iraq or Afgan in the relatively long time frames?
It was and is certainly not from a lack of effort by the men and women of the US Military. The answer would be do the the rules of engagement that our forces are under.

As far as the IEDs that would be known as asymmetrical warfare, go after a stronger enemy in an unconventional way. I assumed the question was based on conventional warfare. When it comes to irregular warfare then that is a different story.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,602,820 times
I once saw an aircraft in the sky that moved very slowly. It looked a lot like a b-2 stealth bomber. The only difference is that this one moved slowly and I could not hear it. If I hadn't been looking in the sky I wouldn't have ever noticed it. Now do you know why the US military kicks a@@?!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
no its the one that is not using it all the time and has something in reserve.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:33 AM

403 posts, read 1,015,960 times
The U.S military is the strongest of course

LOL @ people saying Israel. I guess compared to Hamas they should look pretty strong. When's the last time the Israelis faced a standing army?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues