Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:04 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
The U.S military is the strongest of course

LOL @ people saying Israel. I guess compared to Hamas they should look pretty strong. When's the last time the Israelis faced a standing army?
The last actual war fought by Israel was the 1973 Yom Kippur War where Syria and Egypt invaded Israel in a suprise attack and when the IDF recovered from the initial shock they chased the Syrian Army all the way back to the gates of Damascus before they turned back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 05:07 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,233,054 times
I totally have to say the USA dominates militarily. Our military isn't perfect though, and we have our vulnerabilities, but we have the best military in the world.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:30 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I also particularly feel if China wants to invade any neighboring country, there would be no way to stop their army...

Already happened, it was called the Korean War. Halfway through most of the enemy combatants were Chinese.

Today, it won't happen because of economics. Everything is made in China, and the Chinese govt doesn't want to risk losing their cash cow by harming the U.S. and our interests. The U.S. govt will always need a "boogeyman" to scare the people into thinking we need to plunge more money into a stronger military. Today's boogeyman is Osama Bin Laden, China and North Korea, tomorrow who knows? Besides all of this talk of war is moot...the messiah, I mean new president will end all war, famine, genocide, and terrorism. He will turn blood into wine...

Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Already happened, it was called the Korean War. Halfway through most of the enemy combatants were Chinese.

Today, it won't happen because of economics. Everything is made in China, and the Chinese govt doesn't want to risk losing their cash cow by harming the U.S. and our interests. The U.S. govt will always need a "boogeyman" to scare the people into thinking we need to plunge more money into a stronger military. Today's boogeyman is Osama Bin Laden, China and North Korea, tomorrow who knows? Besides all of this talk of war is moot...the messiah, I mean new president will end all war, famine, genocide, and terrorism. He will turn blood into wine...
I know the Korean war happened, 50 years ago...Things are very different today...I'm all about odds and will say the odds are a war between the US and China is going to happen...However, in the unlikely event it doesn't happen, I'd bet it would have to do with the disruption of the flow of oil into China...

Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
Israel does have some top-notch special forces dudes, but if you put the average Israeli conscript against the average American soldier, they wouldn't look like anything too special. Israel has done well in past wars, but against a disorganized enemy...and Arabs make terrible soldiers as we've seen in Iraq twice. If Israel went up against Iran, I imagine the outcome would be much different.

I'd imagine that the United States has the strongest military (after all, the US does have the United States Marine Corps) but I'd throw in that Canada is known for having very high quality regular soldiers.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 PM

403 posts, read 1,190,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The last actual war fought by Israel was the 1973 Yom Kippur War where Syria and Egypt invaded Israel in a suprise attack and when the IDF recovered from the initial shock they chased the Syrian Army all the way back to the gates of Damascus before they turned back.
1973.......almost 40 years ago.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 PM

403 posts, read 1,190,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Israel does have some top-notch special forces dudes, but if you put the average Israeli conscript against the average American soldier, they wouldn't look like anything too special. Israel has done well in past wars, but against a disorganized enemy...and Arabs make terrible soldiers as we've seen in Iraq twice. If Israel went up against Iran, I imagine the outcome would be much different.

I'd imagine that the United States has the strongest military (after all, the US does have the United States Marine Corps) but I'd throw in that Canada is known for having very high quality regular soldiers.
All of Israel's wars were won on the strength of their air force. Without that their just better organized police officers.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Is it the US?
By far, but it does not matter.

The chances of an all-out, WW-II-style, force on force conflict are slim to none and getting lower every day. And we all know about MAD in a nuke exchange, so that's off the table.

No modern, developed country could wage large-scale, force on force war on another modern, developed country without starving or robbing the energy from their own people. They're all far too connected.

Those who wish to tangle with the US, for any reason, will not wear a uniform and represent a nation state on the field of battle. To do so would mean an instant loss.

China? Please. Their military is a joke (a big one, but still a joke)
Isreal, *od love them, but no way. Why do people perpetuate this myth?

FWIW, the best uniformed guys from another country I ever met were Canadian, hands down, UK second. The rest were right sad and their military had turned into one big social service.

It's the quality of the people, not the other factors that make a military strong.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post

I'd throw in that Canada is known for having very high quality regular soldiers.

Just a random useless fact but a Canadian sniper holds the record for longest confirmed kill at 2,657 yards or 1.51 miles, he did it in 2002 in Afghanistan.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:44 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Just a random useless fact but a Canadian sniper holds the record for longest confirmed kill at 2,657 yards or 1.51 miles, he did it in 2002 in Afghanistan.
Canada (like most Commonwealth nations) has a small but very professional military. For some reason, many of those nations that the UK gave birth too seem to have top notch military forces.

Quote:
I'm all about odds and will say the odds are a war between the US and China is going to happen
I agree, China is like Japan in the 1930s with the militarization process which will eventually mean the need for more natural resources which means territorial expansion which means war with the US and the other regional nations like Singapore, the Philiphines, Japan, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues