Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 05:05 PM

90 posts, read 623,166 times

Advertisements

I have a question. If I were to join the military and serve my 4 years in a branch, when time for re-enlistment comes around and I want to cross over to another service, does my time carry over as well? Or would it start over (for the 20 years served)?

Just wondering how that works out, if it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:14 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,727 times
Yes, your time would carry over to another service but crossing over to another service isn't very simple to do.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
I agree. Also, as far as I know, you may still have to go to the other service basic training. You may start at the bottom enlisted rank.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-05-2009, 08:44 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
Time would carry over, but as others have said it is not a simple process. I would recommend joining the branch of service you really want to be in.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:42 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times
I had an instructor in A school that had been in the Air Force as an E6.
He knew he would have to take a bust down one pay grade to E5 but he could only get that if he went through Navy boot camp. Otherwise he would cross over as an E3.
That was almost thirty years ago so it may have changed.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
I heard it's still the same.You would probably have to let your enlistment run out then go to another recruiter and you probably would have to do some form of basic training again.People that I know who switched in the reserves from AF to Army lost one rank(E-5 to E-4) because no slots were available but I agree with the previous people who said to figure which branch you want and stay with it.I was Air Force for 7 1/2 years and I never would have switched branches.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,406 times
It, will depend on several factors, the primary being the needs of the gaining branch. Transferring while still serving in your current contract is today very difficult, but can be done with a DD Fm 368 Conditional Release if both branches agree to it, otherwise for those already separated your separation code will depend determine if you can be accepted back into the service. The Army, especially the reserve and national guard, has the bulk of prior service other branch members. Almost half of my ARNG unit is made up of former Navy, USMC, USAF, and USCG members, reason being that the Army needs more personnel and is much less restrictive on age and physical/medical standards. Concerning keeping your your former pay grade will also depend on break in service time and again the current strength of the gaining branch. With the Army grades up to E-5 seem to transfer over without loss, but ranks above that will be more likely to drop a grade. Recompleting basic training, or a modified transition course, will also depend on the branch and what their current policy is. Regardless of what component you have ever served with the method of calculating your service points is essentially the same so all your time will count towards the goal of securing a retirement benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues