U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 PM

21,481 posts, read 26,078,274 times

Advertisements

My husband is a West Point grad who served in Viet Nam (LRRPs). When he returned, he was a Ranger instructor. He left the Army to go to medical school and has been a psychiatrist for over thirty years. It used to be funny for the impostors (not knowing his history) to show up expecting him to buy their war stories. Now he has so much military memorabilia in his consultation room, they don't even try.

By the way, everyone who works in the office knows what a DD214 is!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 PM

744 posts, read 1,048,506 times
I find the people you meet who brag about confirmed kills, may have been in the military but never served in a hot zone. If you have ever had to take someone's life even in combat it is not something you just throw out in a coversation. For that previous poster who saw what appears to be a photo shop picture of him as a marine, just leave him alone in his own dillusion. It does not really matter what you find out he will still believe he was once a devil dog. You could drill him about Corps knowledge but if he has done his homework he will know the answers. Just ask him to take you to the local VFW and watch him squirm.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,194,231 times
Did you know that Dr. Ruth was a sniper? In the Israeli Defense Force. Not quite the vet one pictures eh?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,225,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
I find the people you meet who brag about confirmed kills, may have been in the military but never served in a hot zone. If you have ever had to take someone's life even in combat it is not something you just throw out in a coversation. For that previous poster who saw what appears to be a photo shop picture of him as a marine, just leave him alone in his own dillusion. It does not really matter what you find out he will still believe he was once a devil dog. You could drill him about Corps knowledge but if he has done his homework he will know the answers. Just ask him to take you to the local VFW and watch him squirm.
It's called "Stolen Valor"

Too many soldiers have paid the ultimate price to allow imposters to get away with it.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
Jesse Ventura (James Janos) and his older brother were members of the Underwater Demolition Teams. The training (Basic Underwater Demolition) was very much the same as it was for today's SEALs. In the early eighties the two training programs were combined (UDT/SEAL Training)

Master Chief Janos was stationed in the Philippines during the Vietnam War and I'm sure he wasn't snorkeling with the locals the whole time he was there.

P.S. EVERY U.S. Navy SEAL will consider all UDT operators as SEALs as does the U.S. Navy.
I think you're talking about the B.U.D. course out in Coronado, Calif.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 AM

345 posts, read 1,349,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I think you're talking about the B.U.D. course out in Coronado, Calif.

I was talking about Jesse Ventura.

B.U.D.S. is an acronym for Basic Underwater Demolition / SEAL

ok?

Last edited by Rhino127; 06-29-2010 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-29-2010, 01:31 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,031,458 times
My hubby served 8 years in the Marines. We have a Marine Corps sticker on the back of our vehicle, but other than that you wouldn't know it unless he told you. All his stuff is packed away.

He has a cousin who tries to convince us that he served in some black ops thing years ago. He has a whole story about how he didn't even have to take the ASVAB and was recruited some other super secret way.

We're pretty sure he's delusional. I feel sorry for him.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,111,745 times
I feel sorry for anyone who is so desperate for attention/respect that they play the fake vet thing. Well to a point that is.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 PM

436 posts, read 751,095 times
Yeah I did, turns out this guy was a pathological lier., insulting to us vets never the less.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,736,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
My hubby served 8 years in the Marines. We have a Marine Corps sticker on the back of our vehicle, but other than that you wouldn't know it unless he told you. All his stuff is packed away.

He has a cousin who tries to convince us that he served in some black ops thing years ago. He has a whole story about how he didn't even have to take the ASVAB and was recruited some other super secret way.

We're pretty sure he's delusional. I feel sorry for him.
You'll usually find that, "those who brag the most usually have nothing to brag about" and those who only talk about it from time to time and usually only when asked, did serve.

EO1 Retired Naval Reserve SeaBee .. God Bless our brothers & sisters the "MARINES"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues