Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 04:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Can Tho army airfield............191st asslt helo company and 18th aviation company...........march 71-march 72
Way after my time, 63, 66-67 all III Corps

Old 05-23-2012, 04:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,126 times
Quick question from someone who doesn't really belong on this thread. I had a guy show me his USAF honorable discharge certificate today, and it had no signatures, just a stamped name (Not even a stamp of a signature, just a text stamp). Is it valid if it hasn't been signed? Something just seemed fishy about it... I know this thread hasn't been posted on in a while, but maybe someone out there can point me to some evidence?

(Im talking of course about the signature on the bottom from somebody much farther up the chain than him)

Last edited by Kerrycake; 05-23-2012 at 04:50 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Can Tho army airfield............191st asslt helo company and 18th aviation company...........march 71-march 72
Vinh Long, just down the road from you, 611th, Tet '68...I was a contractor with LSI then, not military.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Phu Loi?
I used to drive from Dian to Phu Loi on payday to cash our pay checks (LSI) at your base finance. I remember the "Pipe Smoke" logo on the smoke stack. Quite a laundry downtown...

Last edited by Bideshi; 05-23-2012 at 04:41 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 AM

BTW. I remember you guys at Phu Loi had duece and a halfs with mini-guns mounted on the beds around the wire. I thought that was pretty cool.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
As to the stamp on a supposed discharge paper.......kinda question that as I have a discharge paper with a Oficiers name and rank typed and signed in INK.

Could be a phoney paper to get a job.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrycake View Post
Quick question from someone who doesn't really belong on this thread. I had a guy show me his USAF honorable discharge certificate today, and it had no signatures, just a stamped name (Not even a stamp of a signature, just a text stamp). Is it valid if it hasn't been signed?
Is it valid? I don't know for sure...

There are normally two discharge documents. The fancy one suitable for framing and putting on the wall and then the official document, the "DD Form 214" "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty" which is pretty boring. A form with a lot of blocks filled in with various data...

An image of a DD214: DD 214 INFORMATION | YourMilitaryDischarge.com

The "Fancy" Discharge, image: AIR FORCE | YourMilitaryDischarge.com

That unofficial web site has some good info...

Rich

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrycake View Post
Quick question from someone who doesn't really belong on this thread. I had a guy show me his USAF honorable discharge certificate today, and it had no signatures, just a stamped name (Not even a stamp of a signature, just a text stamp). Is it valid if it hasn't been signed? Something just seemed fishy about it... I know this thread hasn't been posted on in a while, but maybe someone out there can point me to some evidence?

(Im talking of course about the signature on the bottom from somebody much farther up the chain than him)
If you are talking about the signature of "Authorized Officer" listed in section 22, NO, not all of them will have the physical signature on the original copy the veteran may posses. The reasons why is somthing I;ll leave for others to explain, but missing signature does not mean its not real if its the original copy given to the person at discharge. NOTE: if the copy is one that was obtained direcetly from the militray or was a copy of one sent to the vetrean after discharge, it will have the signature on it.

So, only those original copies given at the immediate time of discharge may lack the authorized signature or will have a "signed on behalf of" from someone given the order to sign it for the authorized person, or a rubber stamped authorized person block name.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
Jesse Ventura (James Janos) and his older brother were members of the Underwater Demolition Teams. The training (Basic Underwater Demolition) was very much the same as it was for today's SEALs. In the early eighties the two training programs were combined (UDT/SEAL Training)

Master Chief Janos was stationed in the Philippines during the Vietnam War and I'm sure he wasn't snorkeling with the locals the whole time he was there.

P.S. EVERY U.S. Navy SEAL will consider all UDT operators as SEALs as does the U.S. Navy.
Old but good post. Thx for posting the truth.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,731 times
I've never talked to / called anyone out on it, but I tend to see a LOT of homeless people on the side of the road, with signs that identify them as a vet ("Homeless Vet, anything helps" type signs)... Most of these people have long hair, beards, and aren't in the best of shape. On top of not really fitting the "military image", I'm pretty sure there's all sorts of programs to keep a roof over our vet's heads. I doubt (m)any true vets are homeless.

And, regarding some of the older posts, I have noticed a lot of Vets who served in the 101st, and a lot of SEALS / Rangers / Marines / Green Berets / Airbornes... I was under the assumption that these weren't very common occupational specialties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues