U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:15 AM

28,257 posts, read 43,533,921 times

Advertisements

Have you all seen the movie "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy & Dan Aykroyd? There's a REALLY funny scene at the beginning, where two cops call out Eddie on pretending to be a vet... sorry, this thread just made me think of it! Lots of the homeless around here (San Francisco) claim to be veterans, and I'm sure there are plenty who are lying - haven't caught any yet, but I don't know the lingo to try it out.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 PM

780 posts, read 2,967,831 times
I saw this in some place like Reader's Digest http://www.stolenvalor.com/foia.htm (broken link)

Here is another for older records Research in Military Records

Old 01-31-2009, 08:53 AM

8,033 posts, read 8,100,798 times
another thing that I see happening is guys who are vets claiming they did more than they really did . I see it allot in cold war vets (like me) I wonder if they think they don't get the respect that Bosnia/Gulf/Iraq vets so they embellish their service record. I think that cold war vets still deal with some of the disdain and disrespect that our men in Vietnam have seen. As far as that goes I don't think many of the younger people in the services today really know some of the crap their dads may have been involved in between the Vietnam War and the Gulf War. A book I like to reccomend is called "Blind Mans Bluff" because it talks about our submarine and anti-submarine warfare actions against the Soviets soemthing I saw first hand during my service......

Old 02-02-2009, 04:54 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,837,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I've always found the easiest way to find out is to ask the impostor what is an Article 15.
only problem with basing it off of one question like that is that then you disbelieve the forgetful ones like me that would have to go look it up to remember which one that was. better to leave it to a gamut of questions; that makes them squirm more anyway, so it is more amusing for you.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,581,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
You guys probably don't know that during WW11 there was a 14 yr old in the US navy in the Pacific. He weighed about 200 lbs and was big for his age. Don't recall how he got in.

Have a confession to make. I was 14 in the Canadian reserve Army during WW11 and served three yrs and have my discharge from the Canadian Army on the wall next to my American Army discharge with my ribbons from Korea.

Things do really happen. Steve
One of my uncles was in the Coast Guard when he was just fourteen. To be absolutely accurate, he was in the U.S. Life Saving Service. During WWI, all the Guardsmen went to war under the direction of Dept of Navy. The vacant positions, at least here in Michigan, were filled by teenagers. Can you imagine a 14 year-old rowing a life saving boat on any of Great Lakes during a storm? We even have pictures of him and his future BIL on duty.

My FIL always claims he is a vet. He, in fact, was in the army...... for about 8 months during WWII. Most of the time he was in a hospital being treated for an ulcer. Now this has always bothered me, he states that when he was discharged, the army had his father take a train out to Missouri, or wherever he was, to accompany him home. Have you ever heard of a married man being shipped home with his father? I have seen his discharge papers; he did not recieve a medical discharge, but a general discharge. Isn't that one step up from a dishonorable discharge? Why wouldn't he have recieved an honorable discharge unless something was amisss? Another thing that bothers me is that he claims the military doctors suggested that he see a psychiatrist when he got home to figure out why he would have an ulcer. He says that he did and the pyschiatrist told him he couldn't find anything wrong. Knowing what I know about psychiatry in the 40's and 50's and the tremendous power they wielded, I just don't think things happened quite the way he says they did. The longer I know this man, the more I am convinced he is an undiagnosed bipolar. Now I realize, that that particular diagnosis was not recognized back then, but I believe in my heart of hearts that the army knew something was up and sent him home before he got into real trouble. The part that really sticks in my craw, though, is that when it suits him, he goes on about being a vet; the rest of the time, he laughs about what a big joke he played on everyone. Those are the times when I just want want to choke him. In my opinion, he is dishonoring my son and all those who serve their country because it is the right thing to do. You can see I get pretty worked up about it, so here is my question: I have called him out several times for referring to himself as a vet, told him I didn't think he deserved that honor. For those of you who did serve and who know the workings of the military better than I, given the above info, am I out of line?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,624,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Our talk using Navy pitsnipe slang and technical terms reminded me of the number of fake veterans out there. You ever use such terms or slang to catch a fake veteran in the act and call him on it? My one time was when donating clothing to the homeless shelter and this guy was begging saying he was a homeless vet. Was real easy to catch him on it when he claimed to have served in the Navy. Few sentences into the conversation he admitted the truth. He arrived at Navy bootcamp and failed the drug test.
It is fun to ask a fake veteran what his MOS or AFSC was! They just look at you stupid!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I've always found the easiest way to find out is to ask the impostor what is an Article 15.
And if the answer does not include the letters N J P well,....ok

Old 02-02-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Told a young guy at work that if a vet is telling you a great and exciting story about something he did while at war then he's either lying or greatly exagerating. He asked if I was at war and I told him Desert Storm and Bosnia. When asked what it was like I told him most of the time we floated in squares and only had a few exciting moments while the rest of the time was drills, drills, drills. We have a retired Navy co-worker who tells great stories and they all involve him being the hardnose tough guy who doesn't take s*** from anyone and always makes himself look good.

My brother-in-law was Army National Guard helicopter mechanic and he managed to catch a fake vet. Claimed to fly Apache helicopters. Brother-in-law asked a few questions and the "vet" shut up and walked away.
It reminds me of this episode of the TV show Leave It To Beaver in which the father Ward told the kid that he served in WW 2 as a surveyor for the Navy and the kid told the class at school that his father took 100 POWs and attacked hills and all kinds of Rambo stuff.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,001,641 times
Engine room slang story example: Couldn't start the engines cause we had a problem with our LOP. Once the LOP was fixed we could then start the jacking gear. Got steam going to our SSTG and got it up to speed and on the governor once it met oil temp. Almost lost the DFT cause the throttleman was too busy kissing the EOOW's backside. That's OK cause the MMOW slapped him upside his head to wake him up.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,001,641 times
I don't mind kids exagerating to make their dad's war story sound more exciting. Kids will be kids. But if the dad catches him at it he should correct both the kid and the people he told if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues