Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I just don't understand why. How does someone get satisfaction with lying about their life? What do they gain, some strangers giving them a pat on the back?

I mean, you figure that the shame of being called out as a fraud would over ride any pats on the back for getting away with lying.
the main motive behind it is sympathy from the public, free stuff from businesses (bars mostly), and most of all, free money if/when they ever become homeless.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I have known fake veterans..they are the loudest guys at the bar, usually...with the best stories.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Meanwhile, these were admin staff who had never set foot on Iraqi/Afghani soil.
be careful though. there are a lot of vets that were legitimately disabled that never served in combat positions or were never even deployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have known fake veterans..they are the loudest guys at the bar, usually...with the best stories.
i disagree. their stories are always so full of holes and bull crap that it is like trying to watch a straight-to-dvd movie. painful and brain-numbing.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:41 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post

i disagree. their stories are always so full of holes and bull crap that it is like trying to watch a straight-to-dvd movie. painful and brain-numbing.
a little off topic but this reminds me of how hard it is to watch a lot of military or action films. or even films with military characters. Battle: Los Angeles is more accurate than most and they were fighting aliens (it did have it's plot holes as well, though).

Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
A Legend in Own His Mind

Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
be careful though. there are a lot of vets that were legitimately disabled that never served in combat positions or were never even deployed.

It's not the facts that make them such good stories. It's the excitement and adventure they create that appeals to the non-veteran whose only military experience is movies or video games.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
[be careful though. there are a lot of vets that were legitimately disabled that never served in combat positions or were never even deployed.

I know. However, I was working only with combat disabled vets...OIF/OEF.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
About 3 years ago I was working for a cell phone company in Colorado Springs after I had just gotten out of the Army....and I happened to strike a convo with this customer who always came in the store....He told me he was in the Army. He bragged about all of this exciting work he had done...and went on and on about it. So I asked him "What is your MOS"? He looked at me confused. So I asked again...and he said "What's MOS"? I looked at him straight in the eye and told him to stop lying; that I knew he never served in any branch of the Military. He never showed up at the store again.

I can't believe someone would lie like that.. Especially in a city that is packed with Army and Air Force people.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Oh don't get me started.

I work for the fed and hire lots of people using the preference that vets get for the government. My old job involved hiring only disabled vets. The definition of "disabled" can now mean sleep apnea (50% rating from the VA) so I had lines of people claiming to be "Wounded Warriors" because they exceeded the 30% or more threshold that allowed them to get into federal employment. Meanwhile, these were admin staff who had never set foot on Iraqi/Afghani soil.
Thanks, Confusedasusual! While there are many veterans who were hnoestly injured due to faithful service, it's a shame that some veterans see it as a "pay day". I've got bad knees because I was young, immortal and bulletproof at one time and thought that knee pads and stools for working under fighter aircraft were for whimps! So, no, Uncle Sam doesn't owe me anything for my stupidity. I don't believe my sleep apnea has any service connection, either. Especailly since trucking hasn't exactly helped it...

Old 12-02-2012, 12:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Thanks, Confusedasusual! While there are many veterans who were hnoestly injured due to faithful service, it's a shame that some veterans see it as a "pay day". I've got bad knees because I was young, immortal and bulletproof at one time and thought that knee pads and stools for working under fighter aircraft were for whimps! So, no, Uncle Sam doesn't owe me anything for my stupidity. I don't believe my sleep apnea has any service connection, either. Especailly since trucking hasn't exactly helped it...
In my case, something in my shoulder snapped while hand cranking a hydraulic pump trying to get our generator started. I got with the VA right after leaving the Navy. Wasn't asking for money. Doctors told me my shoulder injury WILL, not may, get worse as I get older. It's easier to get into the VA system right after discharge. It's been about 17 years since my injury. Can't reach my backside anymore, constant soreness even just sitting, and now take prescription strength Aleeve to help with pain from inflamation. Next VA appointment, will ask about physical therapy and a non-narcotic pain reliever. Want to go as long as possible without surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues