U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,484,664 times

Advertisements

nope but most i know are older guys.
but i do run into a lot of "linguists" that are made it thru 1st half of french 101.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:33 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,016,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
oh yeah. i loved seeing the idiots that went into boot camp already having a moto tat. they were favorite targets of the di's.
We had a guy with a huge EGA on his back. He was gone by the 3rd week. I can't see how he could ever get it covered up. I wonder what he tells people now.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:41 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,835,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
We had a guy with a huge EGA on his back. He was gone by the 3rd week. I can't see how he could ever get it covered up. I wonder what he tells people now.
that sucks for him. too bad he didn't make it (i'll assume for the sake of argument that he was a whining pansy; if not, i'll offer him an apology through you).

Old 03-03-2010, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
Hi all - new poster here. Actually I joined this forum for the sole purpose of asking this question since it seemed like a good place to start.

I am wondering if there is anything that can be done about people who have falsified military documents to forward their own argument in print. I can post the document in question (from a book published a few years ago) if anyone really wants to see it.

Essentially the author has fabricated a letter from the CO of a USAF reconnaissance unit to forward a false theory about geography - the theory isn't the important part, it's the fact the author very obviously forged these documents.

I know this from doing some simple research - the unit in question did exist, but they were closed down in 1946 and then reactivated in 2009. The offending letter is from a Lt. Colonel who appears to never have existed and was supposedly written in 1960, when the unit in question also simply did not exist. The "letterhead" on the document is from a USAF base that the unit in question was never stationed at.

Since this does not involve stolen or misrepresented medals I doubt the Stolen Valor Act would be of any use here.

Bluntly, I am offended at this jackass fabricating military documents to forward his argument and his career...

My question is - Is there anything that can be done about these obviously false claims and clearly forged or misrepresented documents?

I would appreciate any information any one can forward regarding how to proceed. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,600,177 times
I am a disabled Vet from the VN conflict. I am a member of the DAV, CIB Assoc., Purple Heart Assoc etc here in SE Florida. Since my arrival 5 years ago I really didn't care about receiving bennies from the VA because I always got the run around. My brother is a victim of having PTSD from his service in VN and does not want help...After fighting the VA for 2 years I finally received 100% P+T in 2006 and we VN Vets in SE Florida help others through the process of getting what they are due for their injuries received for their Military service. There were 2 occasions I noticed new members in our PTSD group claiming they did this and that but really were talking out their cans. Later on I learned each of them were on the Morphine Pump for their injuries and were in great pain and the Morphine was numbing their minds.

I now view other Vets with claims of bravery in a more gracious note so I can try and understand their thought processes and hope to help them in any way I can. I have so much respect for guys that have gone through combat situations of some sort and got jammed by the VA by not receiving appropriate benefits for their injuries. Injuries can arrive in so many ways including mental, physical and what about their spouses seeing the Vet with these new injuries. They are injured too....

The 13 of us are older and our ages go from 60 to 85. As of yesterday all 13 of us are now 100% P+T. It was a great day in Florida.

It may sound strange to some but we enjoy going to our PTSD meeting every Thursday because the camaraderie we each receive for being amongst Veterans cannot be duplicated at home and the Vets are the only ones that know what another Combat Vet has been though.

Our physical injuries are being attended to but we still have pain from those injuries. The mental anguish is forever and we fight it every day too. The meetings seem to help us cope with something we originally believed would render us helpless and fast in our graves. Group meetings have changed our lives forever. They are good....

God Bless our Veterans and Troops.

Steve
K Co, 75th Rangers,
VN 1968-1970

Old 03-04-2010, 09:41 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,900,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScribeForHire View Post
Hi all - new poster here. Actually I joined this forum for the sole purpose of asking this question since it seemed like a good place to start.

I am wondering if there is anything that can be done about people who have falsified military documents to forward their own argument in print. I can post the document in question (from a book published a few years ago) if anyone really wants to see it.

Essentially the author has fabricated a letter from the CO of a USAF reconnaissance unit to forward a false theory about geography - the theory isn't the important part, it's the fact the author very obviously forged these documents.

I know this from doing some simple research - the unit in question did exist, but they were closed down in 1946 and then reactivated in 2009. The offending letter is from a Lt. Colonel who appears to never have existed and was supposedly written in 1960, when the unit in question also simply did not exist. The "letterhead" on the document is from a USAF base that the unit in question was never stationed at.

Since this does not involve stolen or misrepresented medals I doubt the Stolen Valor Act would be of any use here.

Bluntly, I am offended at this jackass fabricating military documents to forward his argument and his career...

My question is - Is there anything that can be done about these obviously false claims and clearly forged or misrepresented documents?

I would appreciate any information any one can forward regarding how to proceed. Thanks in advance!
ScribeForHire, I'm not an attorney. Heck, I don't even watch 'em on TV. From just what's in your post, I'd say that unless the guy is actually harming someone (fraud, etc.), there's really nothing you can do about it. If you know literary agents or others tha might be taken in by him, you could give them a "heads up". Good luck!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:19 AM

9,965 posts, read 11,834,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
Yeah, they called me back in during the Tet offensive since I'd gotten 3 Congressional Medals of Honor in Korea (one posthumously) and they needed my experience and figured the war would go badly if I didn't lend a hand. I told them I wouldn't need help since I ran a team of Mafia hitmen between wars and help would just slow me down. So I finished up tutoring Chuck Norris on how to defend himself and agreed to lend a hand. My ops base was a hooch in a back alley in Hanoi and if it wasn’t for those meddlesome drycleaners up front in the building, we’d have gotten old Uncle Ho himself. “We missed him by that much”! So for years after that I trained Seals and Delta Force on methods of assassination and financial matters. I’d show you all my medals but the president himself had my entire jacket sealed because he got wind of a Congolese plot on my life, so you’ll just have to trust me.

God bless you, the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

I don't know if it was all over the country but the best way I found to out jerks that claimed VN was to ask what the lizard said at night.

Was this country wide or just around where I was? (DiAn, 20 miles or so north of Saigon with H&HC (medic) 1/18th First Infantry Division 1968-1969).

I got a question about an omission on my DD-214 and I'll start a new thread,

Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 AM

4,238 posts, read 6,203,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yup, they are out there. My hubbie was Navy during Nam..did his Viet Nam cruise on USS America.

Hey I was on the USS America many years after that! i was part of the caretaker crew when it decomissioned. When I left there were only 17 people left, each had orders within a week or two after I left.

That was an awesome ship to be part of!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:41 PM

867 posts, read 2,522,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Our talk using Navy pitsnipe slang and technical terms reminded me of the number of fake veterans out there. You ever use such terms or slang to catch a fake veteran in the act and call him on it? My one time was when donating clothing to the homeless shelter and this guy was begging saying he was a homeless vet. Was real easy to catch him on it when he claimed to have served in the Navy. Few sentences into the conversation he admitted the truth. He arrived at Navy bootcamp and failed the drug test.
I do that all the time as well and have come across many people whom I suspected lied about service. Also, when I come across homeless people who claim they are a vet, I usually ask for some kind of proof/ID, i.e. a VA card.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 PM

24,161 posts, read 38,964,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScribeForHire View Post

fabricating military documents to forward his argument and his career

Based on what you have stated I would file a formal complaint with the Department of Defense Office of Inspector General: United States Department of Defense Office of Inspector General

And/or file with the FBI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues