Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,756 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in hearing about what BMt is like for females in general. How deployments work, advancement in career/ranking, going in enlisted and becoming officer. Just some general information would be very nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 06:03 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
You are not going to be made an officer without a degree, and it is a lot easier to get your degree and go in as an officer than it is to go in as an enlisted member and get a degree and an OCS slot. At various times the various branches have had "Boot Strap" programs to get promising enlisted members degrees and commissions; I am not sure if the AF has anything like that. There is an AF recruiter who regularly posts here and can give you some good information. Advancement is going to partially depend on what you want to do. So, any idea what you want to do?

My AIT company in the Army had a platoon of females. They were treated the same as everyone else, they just had their own barracks.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracespitz12 View Post
I'm interested in hearing about what BMt is like for females in general. How deployments work, advancement in career/ranking, going in enlisted and becoming officer. Just some general information would be very nice
I am a male, retired from the Army (in 1990) and I had two assignments on Air Force Bases.

dmarie123 posts here frequently, she is currently and active duty Air Force Recruiter. She can probably answer many of your questions.

I hope these threads help you out:
Female Interested in Air Force or Army (post college)
Are There Any Female Veterans Out There?
Job recommendations for Air Force female?
Female wanting to join the military
A 23 Year Old Female Interested In Joining The Air Force
Female Loadmasters - are there many?
Regarding Job/Roles in military for women/female
31-Year Old Female Seriously Considering Military Service

Old 07-29-2016, 09:46 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
I was enlisted AD Air Force, did four years and used the GI Bill to go to college.

My wife was enlisted AD Air Force and did five years (four year enlistment and stop loss), joined the ANG, finished school and made it to E-6 before getting commissioned.

I was deployed with troops from every other branch, and the AF troops absolutely have it better than anyone else. The Air Force knows how to take care of its people. I was deployed as an E-3 and stayed in a hotel with a rental car. I worked with Army O-3s who had to sleep in a tent and had to catch a bus. I actually stopped and gave a ride to an Army O-4 once who was waiting at a bus stop. He was shocked that I had a rental car and he had to ride the bus.

The Air Force does have the highest standards, however, so not everyone can get in.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:49 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Quote:

OP, it's no different than males, with a few exceptions. Fitness is easier for us, we're allowed to keep our hair long, and, well, that's about all I can think of.

Deployments work the same for men and women, so does advancement, and becoming an officer. You just need general Air Force info. No difference for women vs men.

BMT is honestly majority classroom learning- it's like Air Force 101. There will be a few days of simulated combat, obstacle courses, and military drills at the end, and about 5 hours of physical fitness a week throughout. Sunday's are "off" and you go to church, write letters, clean, relax, study (we have a written test). I advise you to check out youtube. A lot of people have smuggled in video cameras to BMT, and there are a lot of great videos out there.

Deployments are based on volunteers first in some cases, and in other cases they're based on the date you last got back, so they're somewhat even and fair. But, that doesn't always work perfectly. Sometimes, as a woman, you're disqualified from a deployment (preganancy and a year after) so it may cause other's numbers to be skewed. Anyway, if you deploy, we train you, send you on a American Airlines or Delta to Europe, and generally fly you on a military plane to country, where you have a hardened shelter, climate control, a Burger King, pool, dining facility, ice cream parlor, and gym, plus internet, skype, and phone. The other branches make fun of us for our luxuries. Again, go to youtube. This is a great video that illustrates Air Force deployments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNI9FuXGdk. Most accurate one out there!

For officers, you need to get your degree and apply. We're in desperate need of pilots and RPA pilots right now. Pretty much any warm body with a degree can get accepted if you meet the medical restrictions. Other jobs are a bit more competitive.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2016, 09:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
IMO, the AF is probably the best branch as far as quality of work life for it's members (and that is coming from an ex Marine).

My ex GF son was doing menial jobs, not getting anywhere, and decided to go into the AF. Within a few years, he was promoted several times, and became a recruiter. It turned his life around and he was making a good living and loved his job.

His wife also joined after she saw how he was doing, she worked in the IT area. Together they made good money, bought a couple of homes, new cars, and had a great life because of being in the AF.

Today, it is the one branch I would recommend to anyone thinking of going in. As a woman, you will do well.

Don

Old 07-31-2016, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,756 times
I was thinking of joining the Army...any advice??

Old 07-31-2016, 02:11 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Yes, don't. Join the Air Force ;-)

Old 07-31-2016, 02:35 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Quote:
I was thinking of joining the Army...any advice??
I'd wait until the election is over. No one knows who might become president and if voters make the wrong decision, you wouldn't want to be in once damage is done

Old 08-04-2016, 09:12 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I'd wait until the election is over. No one knows who might become president and if voters make the wrong decision, you wouldn't want to be in once damage is done
I think that is just silly.

If someone only plans to serve for four years, sure, maybe. If someone is going to make a career out of it, however, they are likely going to serve under CIC of both parties. I did, and I was only in four years.

Also, it all depends on what your individual definition of "wrong decision" is. To some troops, President Clinton drawing down the military from the President Reagan/Cold War numbers was the wrong decision. To others, President Bush leading us into the war in Iraq was the wrong decision.

Honestly, if you're going to make it a career, plan to serve under different ideologies, because you will at some point.

Remember, your loyalty isn't to a politician, it is to your fellow troops and your country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues