U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 383 times

Advertisements

I was at the Hardt Kasarne,Schwaebisch Gmuend. 1974-1976. Have a lot of good memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 02:19 PM

711 posts, read 779,373 times
We unfortunately never got to Germany. My dad in the Sixites had a choice of England or germany. This was when he was working at Security Service out at kellyAFBase in San Antonio. Momma wanted to go to England, I think mainly because you study english history alot in school, and of course the whole language business. My dad had a civilian he worked with, a GS 10 or more I think? who wanted him to come to Germany, but instead for some reason we went to Elemendorf AFBase near Anchorage. Oh we enjoyed out time there, don't get me wrong, but it would have been nice to visit with relatives in the Schwarzwald, Garmisch, Landshut and a few other places. Great grandpa was born in Himmelstadt on the main River.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:59 PM

24,610 posts, read 39,855,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Hey! Just wonderin if there are people on here who were stationed in Germany.. if so.. where? And.. any good memories?
We were stationed in Augsburg, Germany around 1977. It was a three year tour, but we liked it so much we asked a for a 6 month extension. My wife and two children still have fond, happy memories of that tour.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 197 times
Default B Battery Hardt Kaserne '71 to '73

Anyone Stationed at Hardt Kaserne B Battery from 1971 to 1973. This is Dave Rekers originally from Middletown,Ohio and I now live in St. Augustine, FL.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:45 PM

5,378 posts, read 1,453,926 times
I got stationed in Korea, Hawaii, Japan, Maryland, Florida, but no Germany.

It just wasn’t meant to be I guess.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:55 PM

528 posts, read 214,238 times
Wiesbaden AB - 4th Bde, 4th ID from Fall '82 to Spring '84. Had a good time here except for a crappy marriage that I'm now glad didn't last . But I remember fondly getting beer delivered to my Govt Qrtrs and us getting locked onto the Air Base for a night or two because there were anti-nuke protestors just outside the gates, as if we had any nukes. Crazy.

Anyway, the Army deactivated that brigade and I was sent to finish my tour in Wildflecken in an Armor Bn.

I regret not traveling more in Germany and Europe in General. But, my '79 Dodge was not meant for the Autobahn either.

Some posters have indicated they felt Germans were rude. I would not characterize them that way. I will say they were "reserved" and not as outgoing as Americans are, but I never had any problems. If some were rude, that may have been based on opinions they had of encountering rude Americans who caused trouble.

I could use a Schnitzel mit Pommes Frittes about now .

Old 12-13-2018, 02:15 PM

2,238 posts, read 7,588,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
Wiesbaden AB - 4th Bde, 4th ID from Fall '82 to Spring '84. Had a good time here except for a crappy marriage that I'm now glad didn't last . But I remember fondly getting beer delivered to my Govt Qrtrs and us getting locked onto the Air Base for a night or two because there were anti-nuke protestors just outside the gates, as if we had any nukes. Crazy.

Anyway, the Army deactivated that brigade and I was sent to finish my tour in Wildflecken in an Armor Bn.

I regret not traveling more in Germany and Europe in General. But, my '79 Dodge was not meant for the Autobahn either.

Some posters have indicated they felt Germans were rude. I would not characterize them that way. I will say they were "reserved" and not as outgoing as Americans are, but I never had any problems. If some were rude, that may have been based on opinions they had of encountering rude Americans who caused trouble.

I could use a Schnitzel mit Pommes Frittes about now .
I was at Wildflecken with 54th Combat Engr Bn 1974-1978. I drove my VW bug all over to all the countries that bordered West Germany, except Czechoslovakia, which was of course on the other side of the old Iron Curtain.

One of the first things I did as a 19 year old PFC was to take German language classes. I took 4 semesters of German through University of Maryland at Downs Barracks in Fulda. It opened up the world to me. Anyone who did not enjoy their time in Germany, or had difficulty with the people there, I am guessing part of the reason is they did not make an effort to learn some basic German. I was one of the few US GIs in my unit, who learned German on a conversational level. It also helped me to meet wonderful young women, and they helped me enjoy life in Germany, and motivated me to speak German even better.

Most of the US Army posts in Germany were shut down after the end of the cold war, and with good reason. We don't need hundreds of thousand of US ground troops in central Europe. The EU countries have mature economies, generally good military forces and can defend themselves. The small number of US Army posts remaining in Germany should be closed as well and turned over to the Bundeswehr. I doubt if the US would ever shut Ramstein AFB, since that is key to supporting military ops in the middle east. But all the US Army posts in Germany, they could probably close within 2 or 3 years with no negative impact.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 50 times
I have a question my husband and I were stationed in Germany once and now my niece is. She has a break out of bed bugs since she got there, her heat isn’t working properly and her dishwasher is broke. We never had any issues getting help with that stuff the army was always on top of it. She says they don’t give a crap and won’t do anything. Is this true? Way back when you could go through your chain of command. And the wives could get help from the commanders wife. She said her husband would get In trouble. Has it reallly gotten that bad?

Old Today, 10:31 AM

2,622 posts, read 4,650,179 times
Stationed with HQs 6/562 Missile Arty in Buzbach and then in Bad Kissingen (A battery) along the border, 69-70.
Newly married at the time and enjoyed the time there quite a bit.
The bad news was that the outfit was a target for every congressman/senator to visit as our Hawk Self Propelled missile outfit was new and they all wanted to see it in action.
We spent a lot of time in the field demoing the system. You would have thought we were a tank outfit at the time with the times in the field rivaling those of the tanks.
The towns were very nice.
Didn't get to do that much travel with the wife as we were restricted as to where we could go with our clearances at the time and the fact that time off was nearly impossible.
I did drive a courier route for awhile daily from Butzbach to Fulda (C battery) to Wildflicken (B Battery) to Bad Kissingen (A Battery) delivering documents and small parts. Also visited various depots to take parts for repair in many towns. It was the only sightseeing I got.

Old Today, 11:30 AM

24,610 posts, read 39,855,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwennie51 View Post
I have a question my husband and I were stationed in Germany once and now my niece is. She has a break out of bed bugs since she got there, her heat isnít working properly and her dishwasher is broke. We never had any issues getting help with that stuff the army was always on top of it. She says they donít give a crap and wonít do anything. Is this true?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwennie51 View Post
Way back when you could go through your chain of command. And the wives could get help from the commanders wife. She said her husband would get In trouble. Has it reallly gotten that bad?
No.

You have a right to file legitimate complaints...

https://www.daig.pentagon.mil/faq.aspx

Before you file a complaint / Frequently Asked Questions
Please review these FAQ's before filing a complaint. We encourage you to contact your local IG Office to ensure fastest possible response.

Stop - No Classified Information DAIG can only accept UNCLASSIFIED complaints on this website. Please do not submit any classified information using this complaint form. For information on submitting a classified complaint, visit the Department of Defense Hotline Ė Classified Complaints.
Who May File Army IG complaints?

If you have a concern and are unsure if you should file a complaint, contact your local IG office for guidance. Any Army military or civilian member may file an IG complaint. However, many Department of the Army (DA) civilian complaints (e.g., discrimination, sexual harassment, and conditions of employment) must be addressed by agencies other than the IG. Anyone, including civilians with no Army affiliation, may file Fraud, Waste, and Abuse (FWA) disclosures. Depending on the circumstances, the IG may also accept complaints from dependents or relatives of active duty members and retirees and their dependents. However, it is always best for the actual "victim" or person who witnessed the alleged wrongdoing to file the complaint.

What type of complaints are appropriate?
Any Fraud, Waste, and Abuse (FWA) and violations of law, Army instructions, or policy should be reported through the appropriate grievances channels. The subject of your complaint must be an Army program or person. Bear in mind, however, the fact that you may disagree with your supervisor(s) over management styles or have what you believe is a "personality conflict", does not constitute an injustice or mismanagement. If you are not sure your concern is a reportable matter, contact your local IG office for guidance or advice.

When are IG complaints appropriate?
Individuals should attempt to resolve Fraud, Waste, and Abuse(FWA) issues and personal complaints at the lowest possible level, using command channels before elevating them to the next higher level or the Office of the Inspector General. Further, complaints must be promptly filed within IG, command, or other grievance channels. IG's may dismiss a complaint if there is no FWA, recognizable wrong or violation of law, regulation, or policy. Also, complaints should be received in a timely manner.
Where should complaints be filed?
Complaints may be filed with a supervisor or commander in your chain of command, an IG or other appropriate inspector, or within any established grievance channel. Fraud, Waste, and Abuse (FWA) complaints may be reported to the Army Audit Agency (AAA), Army Office of Special Investigations (AOSI), security police, or other proper authority. Promptly advise the AOSI of suspected criminal misconduct or fraud. It is the intent of the Inspector General System that IG closest to the complaint provides assistance or conduct inquiries into the matters submitted.

What types of complaints are NOT IG appropriate?
The following issues and allegations are ordinarily not appropriate for IG intervention:
- Criminal allegations
- Issues that have other means of redress (If the appropriate redress procedures were used, IGs will advise complainants that IG involvement focuses on ensuring that the complainant received due process and the protection of rights as intended by law and regulation)
- Courts-martial actions
- Nonjudicial punishment
- Officer evaluation reports
- NCO evaluation reports
- Enlisted reductions
- Type of discharge received
- Pending or requested discharge
- Complaints that a commanding officer has wronged a soldier
- Financial liability investigations of property loss
- Relief for cause
- Adverse information filed in personnel records (except for allegations of reprisal)
- Claims
- The issue is not Army related
- Soldier EO complaints
- Civilian allegations of reprisals
- Department of Defense civilian employee redress through other channels
- Hazardous work conditions
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Collective bargaining agreements
- Appeals of adverse actions within the purview of 5 USC 7701-7703
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues