U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,432,814 times

Advertisements

We did 3 years at Ramstein. I loved nearly every minute of it (though we were there on 9-11). My only advice...TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL. I'm not just talking about USO tours to Paris. Ryan Air has made the entire area so accessible and it's not far from Ramstein. I love that my husband and I wrote out a list of where we wanted to travel on the plane ride to Germany and by the time we got on the plane to come home, we'd been to every one of them (some more than once) except Ireland. We had reservations and plans but 9-11 caused the cancellation of all travel for a few months and we just never got back around to it. You will never get the opportunity to travel around Europe for so cheap again so take advantage.

Also, go to the ITT office at Ramstein because for some reason, there are great package trips you can book that include all-inclusive hotels, air fare, etc. We went to Greece and the Canary Islands on those tours and had a blast.

Oh, also try to live off base. It's too easy to get sucked into the constant "Americanization" that Ramstein has. Living off base gives you an opportunity to blend with the locals, find great places to shop, eat and drink. Heck, you may even learn a bit of German while you're at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:41 PM

469 posts, read 1,609,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
We did 3 years at Ramstein. I loved nearly every minute of it (though we were there on 9-11). My only advice...TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL. I'm not just talking about USO tours to Paris. Ryan Air has made the entire area so accessible and it's not far from Ramstein. I love that my husband and I wrote out a list of where we wanted to travel on the plane ride to Germany and by the time we got on the plane to come home, we'd been to every one of them (some more than once) except Ireland. We had reservations and plans but 9-11 caused the cancellation of all travel for a few months and we just never got back around to it. You will never get the opportunity to travel around Europe for so cheap again so take advantage.

Also, go to the ITT office at Ramstein because for some reason, there are great package trips you can book that include all-inclusive hotels, air fare, etc. We went to Greece and the Canary Islands on those tours and had a blast.

Oh, also try to live off base. It's too easy to get sucked into the constant "Americanization" that Ramstein has. Living off base gives you an opportunity to blend with the locals, find great places to shop, eat and drink. Heck, you may even learn a bit of German while you're at it.
WELL PUT. i would like to add though, that i found better prices for holiday packages on the economy rather than RTT (i was at ramstein, too). i took my mom and niece to egypt (hurghada) for 7 days and it cost me $800 total! and it was a 5-star resort (and I had booked a 4-star but we got an upgrade because they overbooked!! didn't complain one bit). yes, it was all inclusive to include airfare and transfers. i paid extra for excursions, but heck! i could never get a vacay like that if i was in the states. and granted the hotel was packed with germans & russians, but that was okay. it was a hoot when we were at the beach one afternoon and the women were sunbathing/swimming topless, i thought my mother was going to faint. LMFAO

i made it a point to get away on my time off. before i got to germany i ordered the entire rick steves DVD travel library and brushed up on things to do. every year i would buynew travel guides and plan my trips. i became known as the squadron travel guru and folks would stop by my office to borrow books and DVDs.

i didn't hit all the places i would've liked to, but enjoyed every minute of my time in deutschland. if we (my DH was stationed there at the same time, but we weren't together then) could go back, we wouldn't hesitate. we truly felt at home there.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:58 PM

14 posts, read 95,551 times
2/37 Armor Division (1st AD) 1989 - 1991 Vilsek, Germany
Loved Germany, the food, October fest, etc

I really missed the Weisse Beer

Old 04-01-2009, 01:42 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,432,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechappells View Post
i made it a point to get away on my time off. before i got to germany i ordered the entire rick steves DVD travel library and brushed up on things to do. every year i would buynew travel guides and plan my trips. i became known as the squadron travel guru and folks would stop by my office to borrow books and DVDs.

i didn't hit all the places i would've liked to, but enjoyed every minute of my time in deutschland. if we (my DH was stationed there at the same time, but we weren't together then) could go back, we wouldn't hesitate. we truly felt at home there.
That's funny because I was considered the travel guru in my office too. What years were you there? We did 1999-2002. I was an AF Spouse, but worked for the Civilian Personnel Office and the Mission Support Squadron Commander. I had my store of Rick Steve's books too. They are the bible. I loved the bookstore at the BX as they always seemed to have them in fresh supply. I still have them on my bookshelf and they are full of travel memorabilia and most look like they've been through a natural disaster! I have them with beverage stains, dog eared, underlined, flagged, sections ripped out and then put back in, etc etc. His maps, though, are horrid. We used to travel with his books for the tips and then the Eyewitness Travel Guides for the detailed maps and church layouts, etc. Just talking about it makes me want to plan a trip!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:16 PM

9,761 posts, read 2,921,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4life View Post
2/37 Armor Division (1st AD) 1989 - 1991 Vilsek, Germany
Loved Germany, the food, October fest, etc

I really missed the Weisse Beer
Hey there.. I was 501 FSB in Friedberg from 97 to 99.. 1/36INF, 2/37AR, and others were also on our post :-]

I miss it all, lol.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:35 AM

469 posts, read 1,609,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
That's funny because I was considered the travel guru in my office too. What years were you there? We did 1999-2002. I was an AF Spouse, but worked for the Civilian Personnel Office and the Mission Support Squadron Commander. I had my store of Rick Steve's books too. They are the bible. I loved the bookstore at the BX as they always seemed to have them in fresh supply. I still have them on my bookshelf and they are full of travel memorabilia and most look like they've been through a natural disaster! I have them with beverage stains, dog eared, underlined, flagged, sections ripped out and then put back in, etc etc. His maps, though, are horrid. We used to travel with his books for the tips and then the Eyewitness Travel Guides for the detailed maps and church layouts, etc. Just talking about it makes me want to plan a trip!
i was there from 03-06. i would be there now if i hadn't separated from active duty, but i don't regret my reasons for separating. i was in services and although we worked hard, i played harder. i still have most of my travel guides. my DH is trying to convince me to go thru 45 boxes of books (not just travel guides, just books in general) and weed what i don't want anymore. yes, i know the guides are outdated now, but they bring back so many memories. we still have our "tiger book" the atlas that marked all the esso stations. man! did that come in handy or what? of course, this was before i got my GPS, but that book is marked up like crazy it's bleeding with notes! LOL

speaking of the tiger book and when it would've been very useful was a friend of mine drove his co-worker to frankfurt with 3 kids in tow. on the way back, somehow someway he got on the wrong autobahn (which isn't that difficult to do if you're not paying attention.) anyhoo, i was at my office when i get this frantic call and he's lost. so i ask him what signs are on the road and he says, "well, i keep seeing 'Muenchen' and "Ulm'" "DUDE! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?" he was halfway to MUNICH!! "okay, do you have gas coupons?" "no." "and you have the kids with you?" "yes." "okay, and no tiger book?" "right." i had to talk him back to ramstein on the phone. what should've been a quick and easy trip took him a better portion of the day. bless his heart. LMFAO! needless to say, from that day on, he had a book of gas coupons, a tiger book and even bought a GPS.

yes, i still give him grief to this day.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Status: "I can love you as much as bacon, and I love eating bacon" (set 26 days ago)

218 posts, read 271,291 times
I was stationed at the 97th General Hospital in Frankfurt, Germany for 4 years. (88-92)

I've got stories! clean opne and done right X rated, LOL

I loved Germany and went to East Berlin before the wall came down and was actually up there with a sledge hammer breaking me off a piece when they reunified. I brought back about 150 pound piece of the wall and everyone and their brother wanted a piece and now my piece is about as big around adn a dinner plate and probably 5-8 pounds.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,615,862 times
AAFES gas coupons and Tiger Maps...Oh, the memories!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 PM

9,761 posts, read 2,921,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
AAFES gas coupons and Tiger Maps...Oh, the memories!
I'm clicking my heels and nothing's happening

Old 07-24-2009, 06:02 PM

793 posts, read 2,403,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
Thanks Crew Chief! That's pretty funny about the base chapel. We'll have to check that out.. We are going later in the summer so I will let you know how the trip goes.. We are enjoying the planning part now!
I know this is an old thread but we finally made our trip to Germany and it was fantastic! We immediately reconnected with our German "family" and had a great time with them. The first day trip was to Trier because it was so close and we had spent to much time there during our assignment and it literally bought tears to my eyes to be back with loved ones and in a place we enjoyed so much! Much has changed with the roads around Spang as previously here and our memories or how to get from here to there were a bit off at times but we did a lot in our short visit.. Bitburg, Luxemburg City and the American Cemetery, Bastogne, Rothenburg Ob de Tauber, Bernkastel, walked all over the town we lived in (Kyllburg) and much time on our friend's 'biergarten"! Wine probing and enjoying the food, beer and wine was such a treat! Our kids are in their 20's and had such a fantastic time and already talk about going back in a few years! It really made us remember some of the things we loved about our time in the AF!! We really were so lucky to have those expereinces!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues