U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-26-2009, 04:20 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times
Reputation: 7701

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4life View Post
2/37 Armor Division (1st AD) 1989 - 1991 Vilsek, Germany
Loved Germany, the food, October fest, etc

I really missed the Weisse Beer

2/37 Armor, Montieth Barracks, Furth: 1970

I will miss German beer for the rest of my life.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2009, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
2,212 posts, read 4,493,155 times
Reputation: 2363
Was at Ramstein from 1999-2002. We traveled our butts off and left there having only missed one country on our "must see" list...Ireland. We were there during 9/11 so the travel/leave requests were stalled for a few months while they tried to figure out if we were in danger. Unfortunately, our trip to Ireland was planned for October and our leave was cancelled. Bummer. We did everything in our power to stay in USAFE but in the end, we were sent back to the USA.

If you have the opportunity to go to Europe, you must do it. When you get there, whether you're single or married, you must be brave and travel. Don't just go on USO tours (though they're great too). Explore the continent. Getting around is easy and you will find yourself enriched by every single trip you take. I always thought it was a shame to meet people who had been in Europe for years and when I asked them where they had been, they'd reply with only a few cities...mostly "Paris with the USO" or "to Poland for pottery shopping".

You only get one chance to live in Europe and travel for cheap. Trust me...when you get back to the states and want to go to Europe for vacation, you will spend thousands of dollars to just GET there (not including hotels/food/souvenirs). It's been nearly 10 years for me and I still can look at the art on my walls or the souvenirs in the curio cabinet and recall exactly where I bought it and what trip I was on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 10:54 AM
 
6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Reputation: 9894
Well said, 3Ds!!! I truly wouldn't trade the travel we've been able to do for all the money in the world! I felt sorry for the folks who rarely ventured out of their stairwell housing. I have to believe that many of them regretted not getting out while they were overseas. As nice as the AFRC facilities in Bavaria were, we actually tried to stay away from large American hangouts when we traveled. Painting all of our contrymen with the same broad brush isn't always fair. But the up side of it is that you get to meet a lot more locals that way. My German was horrible, but I found that Europeans speak good to perfect English, so communication was no problem. And learning how others see us Americans was truly an education.

You know, I certainly can't criticize anyone's mode of travel, but I almost felt sorry for those who went everywhere as a large tour group. Besides feeling like all of Europe is a blur, those "see 10 countries in 8 days" tours give you no REAL feel for a country. There are so many places in Europe that you can use as a base and, by limiting your travels, you can get a really good feel for a country or certainly that region of it.

So, thanks for the memories, All!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Northern VA
794 posts, read 2,431,076 times
Reputation: 334
Believe it or not, we worked with a SMSgt (E-8) who was off base only twice during his 2 year tour, the ride from the airport and the ride back when he left. He did not want to be there and was bound and determined not to ever enjoy his assignment. I have often wondered if he ever regreted that but probably not.. He was wired a bit different..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Reputation: 9894
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
Believe it or not, we worked with a SMSgt (E-8) who was off base only twice during his 2 year tour, the ride from the airport and the ride back when he left. He did not want to be there and was bound and determined not to ever enjoy his assignment. I have often wondered if he ever regreted that but probably not.. He was wired a bit different..
Maybe he's related to the TSgt I served with at Kunsan; He was SURE that he was going to suffer unspeakable consequences if he ever left the base...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
2,212 posts, read 4,493,155 times
Reputation: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Maybe he's related to the TSgt I served with at Kunsan; He was SURE that he was going to suffer unspeakable consequences if he ever left the base...
Very sad. Just like the people who only ate on base (yummy...Burger King, Anthony's Pizza and Robin Hood sandwiches ). Though I would give a large donation for someone to deliver a doner kabob to my house! I loved those things and somehow never got sick of a huge rotating piece of meat that was sliced and fell into a big vat of grease (only to be put on bread). I found it amazing to ask people to meet us at a restaurant just a mile or two off base and to find out they'd never been there. Geez. Imagine only eating on base every day. Yuck. Same for the people who only shopped at the BX or lived on base. Seems pretty sheltered but like the person above mentioned, some people are bound and determined to not enjoy an assignment. Sad.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 03:43 AM
 
1 posts, read 4,000 times
Reputation: 11
Im stationd in s korea now and was looking at going to germany after this, I just got married before i came in and i have been away from my family for two years and i would like to bring my family there with me. Just wanting to know how it is there and are you able to bring your fam. I hope that is better that this ____ hole.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 13,911,504 times
Reputation: 6875
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
2/37 Armor, Montieth Barracks, Furth: 1970

I will miss German beer for the rest of my life.
No need to miss German beer. Most liquor stores have a large selection of bottled German beer! Some clubs offer German beer on draft as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 13,911,504 times
Reputation: 6875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Well said, 3Ds!!! I truly wouldn't trade the travel we've been able to do for all the money in the world! I felt sorry for the folks who rarely ventured out of their stairwell housing. I have to believe that many of them regretted not getting out while they were overseas. As nice as the AFRC facilities in Bavaria were, we actually tried to stay away from large American hangouts when we traveled. Painting all of our contrymen with the same broad brush isn't always fair. But the up side of it is that you get to meet a lot more locals that way. My German was horrible, but I found that Europeans speak good to perfect English, so communication was no problem. And learning how others see us Americans was truly an education.

You know, I certainly can't criticize anyone's mode of travel, but I almost felt sorry for those who went everywhere as a large tour group. Besides feeling like all of Europe is a blur, those "see 10 countries in 8 days" tours give you no REAL feel for a country. There are so many places in Europe that you can use as a base and, by limiting your travels, you can get a really good feel for a country or certainly that region of it.

So, thanks for the memories, All!
Great idea! Especially about speaking to the locals. I found that many Germans were glad to meet Americans so they could try out their English. As an exchange they're always helpful to assist with German. I remember many evenings speaking English, learning German and having a good time.
During my two years I went out almost every evening, sometimes having to sneak out a hole in the fence, and returning the same way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 PM
 
1,340 posts, read 2,430,672 times
Reputation: 749
Was in Germany 5 yrs, mostly Berlin. In a way wish I never was there, been a lot harder living in US
ever since.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top