U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,013,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I would worry less about how you look (beyond being in good physical shape) and worry more about your attitude, track record, and skills/knowledge. Best guess is you need to be able to think outside of the box without drawing attention to yourself.
Agree, Everything is mind over matter. The unit I was in (not Delta) you had to be an NCO (E-4 and above). When I was doing my first interview I told them straight away that I had a UCMJ on my record........They told me thats fine, they actually like people who have them. So you may want to look at the rank requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
so lets say that I want to go for Delta training. But at the moment I am pretty out of shape but at the time i want to apply i can run a mile in 8 mins. Will they accept me then?
An 8 min. mile is pretty slow. If you're only timing yourself doing 1 mile it's actually pretty pathetic. Try shaving two minutes off that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 04:43 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,280,035 times
I'm not getting this ...

OP ... are you wanting to get into DELTA or what? You've been given links, websites, information etc, but your talking about us being "doped by the government again."

DELTA is an elite unit. They want the best for good reason. They have to set "basic" standards for entry, but it doesn't mean that those standards can't be adjusted if they see certain qualities in a candidate. Not everything on paper matches up to someone when you're face to face.

BTW ... an 8 minute mile is pretty slow unless you're lugging gear!

Old 02-28-2009, 05:19 AM

164 posts, read 519,533 times
This isn't a video game, it's the real thing. You will need a background in Special Ops before you're allowed to take the qualification test. You need to be in top physical condition and be able to survive in the wilderness for weeks on your own. Are you even in the military?

Old 02-28-2009, 08:18 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,602,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
An 8 min. mile is pretty slow. If you're only timing yourself doing 1 mile it's actually pretty pathetic. Try shaving two minutes off that time.
6 mins? I can do that. But does it have to be 6 mins average for a mile?(stupid question, I know).

Old 02-28-2009, 08:19 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,602,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
This isn't a video game, it's the real thing. You will need a background in Special Ops before you're allowed to take the qualification test. You need to be in top physical condition and be able to survive in the wilderness for weeks on your own. Are you even in the military?
I am not in the military yet. I am finishing my degree in history and afterwards I might consider military if i can try out for special forces. I am working out and I do plan on being in top shape within a year and a half. That is when I hope to be done with university.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 AM

Start talking to a recruiter and see if you can find someone in your area who is/was in the Special Forces to give you some face to face advice about the SF qualification/selection process.
Army Special Forces Center - Special Forces Training
Special Operations - Navy SEALs - Rangers - Delta Force - Green Berets

Old 02-28-2009, 11:22 AM

2,631 posts, read 4,832,743 times
Quote:
Agree, Everything is mind over matter. The unit I was in (not Delta) you had to be an NCO (E-4 and above). When I was doing my first interview I told them straight away that I had a UCMJ on my record........They told me thats fine, they actually like people who have them. So you may want to look at the rank requirements.
i seem to recall that chesty puller (usmc god-general) once said that you can't trust a marine that hasn't been njp'ed (non-judicial punishment). i'd assume that he thought more or less the same about ucmj for most offenses.

as far as the rest of this thread, maybe i'm just cynical, but it doesn't sound like the op has any clue about military life in general, much less spec ops. if i were you, and seriously thinking of the military, i'd watch a few documentaries (not army commercials or other propaganda), and talk heavily with recruiters from all of the services. don't even think of signing anything until you've been meeting with recruiters for a few months at least.

do some freakin' homework on this; you seem to be basing your ideals and desires off of xbox games or something.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:31 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,013,790 times
You're right. It's been awhile. haha. I meant njp. The usmj is the set uf rules that you can be prosecuted with.

I received half months pay X2 and extra duty for two months.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:23 PM

22,714 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Start talking to a recruiter and see if you can find someone in your area who is/was in the Special Forces to give you some face to face advice about the SF qualification/selection process.
Army Special Forces Center - Special Forces Training
Special Operations - Navy SEALs - Rangers - Delta Force - Green Berets
Don't forget that jumping out of a plane part.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:43 PM

...and real bullets zinging over your head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues