U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 06:07 PM

24,133 posts, read 38,871,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There is a good series running now on the Discovery Channel called Surviving the Cut. Each episode is about training Special Ops in the various branches of the military.
Anyone who is interested can see the sort of tasks that are required.
Thanks for reminding us...

They can see some short videos and the schedule here: Surviving the Cut : Discovery Channel

Rich
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,626,771 times
I know this is an old thread, but chances are if you're asking how to do it on an internet forum you're probably a Chairborne Ranger who won't make the cut. As far as I understand, you can enlist as 18X "candidate". You have to pass the physical and mental requirements, pass boot camp (probably with flying colors), go to Airborne and/or Ranger school, Q-school, and I'm fairly sure that you have to go to sergeant school as well. You also have to make a lot of good impressions on a LOT of people.. COs, senior NCOs, and SF is one of few (if not the only job) in the military where a bad review from a fellow candidate can get you cut as well.

These men are often only deployed in very small teams at a time, 3-5 people working deep in Indian country or as an attachment to another (fairly small) unit. Gotta be a team player.

"Chosen Soldier" by Dick Couch is actually pretty interesting, if you're interested you should read it.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Now I know they don't "exist". But what can anybody tell me about the men in Delta. How do they look like, how do they act? Would you call them bada*sses or toughguys? Or were they a bunch of wimps? How did they make it into delta training and passed?
ya they still exist your ignorant if you dont think they do, as for being tough? ya they are the best for example you must run a 40 ruck run eventually, now compared to rangers, special forces (green berets), marine force recon, pj's, cct's, cwm's and navy seals they are the toughest of the toughest. they are extremely top secret and dont really let outsiders in on anything. they were last publicly known and used in the battle of Mogadishu in 1993. fighting along side the army rangers. but no nothing has taken their place for their is no one to even consider keeping up with them. the only one who would stand even the slightest chance against them would be the navy seal team six but not quit. i hope this answers your question? and as for looks? they wear similar attire to all socom agents/operatives except for their helmets are straight black and not camouflaged. as for their weight they look like you and me usually age ranging from late 20's and up, as for patches and ribbons they normally dont show them off nor do alot of them have them, they can either grow beards (like special forces) or can look military cut depending on the mission, as for i.d's they dont show really any difference than normal military unit id's nor do any socom operatives. if you ask them if they work for socom along with any other special ops soldier they wont tell you nor will they even talk about it. if you ask them if they socom and they say yes than its a no, if you see females trying to act like delta, rangers, navy seals or anything then its a deffinatly a no for women can not in anyway join special ops. if u ask them and they dont remember their instructors names then they are lieing that they are even in special ops same gos for their training locations if you ask and they "forgot" or something then they also are lieing. wimps? hell no. badassess? one of the best, they didnt get the nickname a-team for nothing. if you have anymore questions just let me know.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,006 times
and as for being recruited its actually in the army papers for recruitment if you know what to look for. and you dont have to come from any form of special operations unit to join them if you can not only keep up in training but challenge it then you are delta fit. you dont have to b anything special to join you just gotta be able to not only hold your own but b one of the best of the best

Old 12-18-2010, 11:19 AM

767 posts, read 1,947,037 times
I read the book "Black Hawk Down" by Mark Bowden and it paints a very impressive picture of what the Delta force folks are like.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 PM

175 posts, read 261,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josht89 View Post
if you ask them if they work for socom along with any other special ops soldier they wont tell you nor will they even talk about it. if you ask them if they socom and they say yes than its a no, if you see females trying to act like delta, rangers, navy seals or anything then its a deffinatly a no for women can not in anyway join special ops.
Um, false. There are a lot of Special Ops Soldiers who can and will admit that they work for SOCOM especially when you're deployed and you see them around. I knew all the SF guys and Rangers who lived at my outpost alongside us for awhile and I could also spot them easily at places like KAF. Maybe it'll be harder for civilians to know the difference but many SF guys and Rangers can at the very least admit that they are that. On top of that, you're right that females can't be Rangers, Navy SEALs, or a Delta operative. However, many females can work closely with them especially on CSTs and there are females who work administratively or through intel with Delta. Also you have your terminology wrong above. Special Ops is not just Rangers, SEALs, SF, or Delta. There is also Civil Affairs, PSYOP/MISO, and CSTs all of which females can be so yes, they can join Special Operations.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,908 times
Smile Delta Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Now I know they don't "exist". But what can anybody tell me about the men in Delta. How do they look like, how do they act? Would you call them bada*sses or toughguys? Or were they a bunch of wimps? How did they make it into delta training and passed?
Yes, I can tell about the men in Delta Force. The Delta Force exists and is a special unit of the army. To be a part of the Delta force, first you join the army, complete basic training, and your advance training in you military specialty (mos). Then you apply for training in the Delta Force.
They are tough guys, who look regular guys, who are law adbiding us citzens. The solders who pass the the Delta force training programs become Delta Force solders.
To find out more information about joining the Delta force should talk to the closest Army recruiter in your area about joining the army, and what you need to do after you join the aarmy to qualify to get in the Delta Force training programs.
YOu also find about more Delta force training and what Delta Force solders do by checking out web sites about the Delta Force on the internet.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,806 times
There are no Delta Force training programs coming into the Army. There is the 18x option to go to Special Forces Assessment and Selection, and there is an option 40 to go to Ranger Assessment and selection. Many with goals of going delta take this route as Delta selection is, by all accounts, the roughest selection process in the Army. The Delta Force also sends e-mails to soldiers outside of special operations to attend briefings. If you are not special operations, they look for mature individuals ideally over the age of 25, with multiple deployments. The prefer you to be a Sgt. or above. I did receive said e-mail as did many of my peers. They do exist and there are multiple ways to get in but all routes end with Delta selection where you are on your own.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,538,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I don't know what a nightstalker is??

He's a PJ.

I know what that is, a PJ saved my uncles butt in Vietnam 1968.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues