Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:55 PM

164 posts, read 590,119 times

Advertisements

1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 01:34 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
They still exist, and I was stationed in a unit at Fort Bragg located right next to them. These guys are not only in the best physical shape, they are extremely intelligent (multiple languages, etc). I wouldn't want to be on their bad side.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:03 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,068,000 times
^What would you say they like in hair/skin color? Or were they all sorts of hair color and skin color? When they talked were you able to know they were delta?

Old 02-22-2009, 04:40 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,899,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
^What would you say they are like in hair/skin color? Or were they all sorts of hair color and skin color? When they talked were you able to know they were delta?

I would say the only for sure thing in common would be a y-chromosome. And I am guessing relaxed grooming standards (army haircuts scream army and that is not a look you want to sport if you are trying to fit in somewhere else).

Old 02-23-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post

I would say the only for sure thing in common would be a y-chromosome. And I am guessing relaxed grooming standards (army haircuts scream army and that is not a look you want to sport if you are trying to fit in somewhere else).
I forgot to put the "are". Thank you.

I understand that but I am trying to get a feel. Because the Delta operators have to pick you after a series of questions and maybe they also go after a certain kind of look. I don't know though

Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM

I would worry less about how you look (beyond being in good physical shape) and worry more about your attitude, track record, and skills/knowledge. Best guess is you need to be able to think outside of the box without drawing attention to yourself.

My husband is in a spec ops career field in the AF and the guys he works with come in all shapes and sizes. The one thing in common is they sucked it up physically and, quite importantly, psychologically, and got through the intense training.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM

BTW have you seen this site?

Special Operations.Com - Delta Force

Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I would worry less about how you look (beyond being in good physical shape) and worry more about your attitude, track record, and skills/knowledge. Best guess is you need to be able to think outside of the box without drawing attention to yourself.

My husband is in a spec ops career field in the AF and the guys he works with come in all shapes and sizes. The one thing in common is they sucked it up physically and, quite importantly, psychologically, and got through the intense training.
so lets say that I want to go for Delta training. But at the moment I am pretty out of shape but at the time i want to apply i can run a mile in 8 mins. Will they accept me then?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
BTW have you seen this site?

Special Operations.Com - Delta Force
No. Thanks for the link though.

EDIT: Did you realize that many of those links on Delta don't have any story on them?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM

From the link I provided:

#

The prerequisites for an officer are:
# Male
# Volunteer
# U.S. Citizen
# Pass a modified Class II Flight Physical
# Airborne qualified or volunteer for airborne training
# Pass a background security investigation and have at leasta secret clearance.
# Pass the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT), FM 21-20,75points each event in the 22-26 age group, (55 pushups in two minutes,62situps in two minutes, and a 2 mile run in 15:06 or less), wearing yourunit PT uniform.
# Minimum of two years active service remaining upon selectionto the unit.
# Captain or Major (Branch Immaterial).
# Advance Course graduate.
# College graduate (BA or BS).
# Minimum of 12 months successful command (as a Captain).
# 1st SFOD-D conducts worldwide recruiting twice a year to process potential candidates for the Assessment and Selection Course. Processing for the March Course is from October through January. Processing for the September Course takes place April through July.

.................................................. .............................

This is the PAST test requirement. The PAST test is for men who wish to enter training in the AF for jobs like CCT/PJ. Just to give you an idea overall of physical requirements for these kinds of jobs.

1. Underwater swim: 25 Meters 1 breath (Pass/Fail) - 5 min rest
2. Surface swim: 1000 Meters 26 minute max time - 30 min rest
3. Run: 1.5 miles 10:30 max time - 15-30 min rest
4. Chin ups: 8 in 1 minute - 3 min rest
5. Sit ups: 50 in 2 minutes - 3 min rest
6. Push ups: 50 in 2 minutes - 3 min rest
7. Flutter kicks: 50 in 2 minutes - Test complete
\

Have you checked over in the Army forums in the Military.com forums? There are usually recruiters and other people who can answer many questions. I;m not trying to brush you off, just thinking you might find more information there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues