Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 PM

144 posts, read 597,158 times

Advertisements

It has been almost 10 years since my dad retired. They settled in Ga and that was the last time I moved around with them. since I have graduated HS and college. With in that 10 years I have moved on my own 5 times. I have wanted to move again but I realized that I feel like I'm looking for something that I just can't find or doesn't exist so I am working on staying put and working on my issues? At one point I was seriously considering going into the Army Health Corps, I would have gotten to do what I love under a institution/system that I miss. It ended up that I don't meet the medical requirements to join since I have a chronic illness. That really upset me, even though I know active duty life is different than dependent life I really do miss it ALL so much.

Am I the only one or is there anyone else that had a hard time after the military life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 04:20 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times
USMC retired here, my 18 year old is going off to basic at Ft. Jackson while my 17 year old just returned from bootcamp at Parris Island and is headed off to Marine Combat Training this weekend.

Adjust? Bless their hearts, they tried. They started college at 15/16 years of age due to extra credits they picked up during different high schools- some year round, trimester,semester so 2 years ago when arrived at new place-they had enough credits to graduate.

After 2 years of college they just got restless.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
I retired 11 years ago from Air Force (26 years). I have two daughters and they adjusted pretty well as my last 8 years were in San Antonio. Both daughters work and are married (older one has two sons). One still lives in SA and the other moved to the Houston area. My younger daughter talked to recruiters many years ago but didn't go in the service. As for me, I would do it all over again; however, now that I'm retired (but still working full time as a civilian) I'd like to stay put for awhile and continue to "grow some roots." My advice would be to focus on now and what is going on. The grass is not always greener on the other side, but your grass can get greener with some TLC.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:52 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,039 times
I'm a "ex-brat" too, and I still have what my mother calls "restless feet". After spending so much of my life moving around, I get so bored with the area that I'm in and need to move. Since my father retired, I've moved 14 times.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
It has been almost 10 years since my dad retired. They settled in Ga and that was the last time I moved around with them. since I have graduated HS and college. With in that 10 years I have moved on my own 5 times. I have wanted to move again but I realized that I feel like I'm looking for something that I just can't find or doesn't exist so I am working on staying put and working on my issues? At one point I was seriously considering going into the Army Health Corps, I would have gotten to do what I love under a institution/system that I miss. It ended up that I don't meet the medical requirements to join since I have a chronic illness. That really upset me, even though I know active duty life is different than dependent life I really do miss it ALL so much.

Am I the only one or is there anyone else that had a hard time after the military life?
You get used to it, don't you? You can enter gov't service (Civil Service) - in healthcare (usajobs.gov) and get a lot of the benefits of being tied to the military, you can move, interact with the military members and their family members, and even use the PX if you're overseas. I'd recommend you look into civil service if you're in healthcare. I'm in SE Germany and we have a lot of civilian healthcare providers from physical therapists, dieticians, nurses, physician assistants, lab technicians, office managers, social workers, psychologists etc etc.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Retired from 23 year USAF career (and was the Son of a Sailor before that) Wife and I both miss the military, even after 13 years. We had "itchy feet' for the first 5 years or so after leaving the USAF. But a teaching job in Germany for her and 5 years running around the country in a big truck pretty much took care of our wanderlust. We settled in OH in 2000 and have made this truly a retirement home. Finally had some roots! We love owning our home and not worrying about PCS orders coming. But we still get the urge to travel every so often. Best of luck, Mekia02!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM

27 posts, read 78,436 times
Forty-plus years in the military, father and spouse, and we have yet to retire & settle somewhere. Adjust - don't see it happening. I can't pinpoint any ONE place to consider "home." My father retired after 23 yrs. in the Air Forcer (Officer) and moved back to "their hometown." However, it was NEVER "my hometown." As a dependent child I had never lived there, so it was nice "for the parents" - not nice for the kids who had NO roots there, NO friends there. So what happens?! I end up marrying a guy from college...who chose to go into the military ! Ugh. I can't say I've loved uprooting an average of every 3 years. Although, we have been stationed in some amazingly beautiful places (Alaska coast) that we would have never seen had the military not moved us there.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:45 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,742 times
I understand the OP's feelings I'm the same. My Dad retired when I was in HS, and I've had trouble settling down. Some of it is due to the natural issues of college and then finding a job, and then deciding to come to grad school, but I've learned that I'm not the type to settle down for 30 years in one place. I like the adventure of moving: finding a new place to turn into my home, making new friends, meeting other Christians, exploring a new town/city, etc. Maybe when I have kids that will change, because it would be nice to have life-long friends. I have GREAT friends from childhood, but no one that has gone through everything with me, and when I have kids I think I'd like them to have those friends.

But, I totally understand, I loved the life of a milkid, it was fun and exciting for my sibs and myself, and the education we received is invaluable. I love history and I think part of that is because I got to visit the places in the textbooks, so it came alive for me! And, I'm so proud of my Dad and all my military friends and the love they have for our country.

Anyway, long answer to say, I've probably not completely adjusted, but there are some advantages to civilian life...like moving is on MY terms, and that is kinda cool...I'm totally (well find a job dependent) in charge of decided when and where to live.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:03 AM

153 posts, read 462,960 times
They call us Third Culture.

I've never lived anywhere for more than 3 years. I have had over 25 different schools. My parents are military, I was military, I married military twice and now I'm moving to Alaska.

Nowhere really looks like HOME.

Shan

Old 06-07-2009, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 16,126 times
As an ex Army brat my dad retired when I was starting highschool 1995, and we moved to Minnesota. well three years later I graduated which was perfect because I was so used to moving so often. well long story short. Its always hard for me when someone asks me where my hometown is because I grew up all over the US. It has been 14 years and the longest that I have stayed in any one state is 6 years but I have moved 8 times in that time frame and now it has been 4 years after that and I am leaving agian only this time it is for basic training with the Navy. I leave for Great Lakes in 9 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues