U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 AM

4,855 posts, read 4,556,872 times

Advertisements

The Rolling Stones' bass player, Bill Wyman, served in the RAF.

He was Bill Perks then.

Gene Vincent was a US Navy vet.

Guitarist Link Wray was an Army vet.

Phil and Don Everly served in the USMC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:32 AM

21 posts, read 22,953 times
Alan Alda and Jamie Farr from M*A*S*H both served in the Army - and if I remember correctly, Jamie Farr actually DID serve in Korea.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:18 PM

21,199 posts, read 25,671,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Almost all the names given here were draftees. How many All volunteer force vets are in Hollywood?
I think you will find that many of the celebrities who served during WWII were volunteers.

Charles Durning: drafted

Earnest Borgnine: joined Navy right out of high school, discharged, re-enlisted after Pearl Harbor

Charles Bronson: enlisted 1943

Jackie Coogan: enlisted 1944

Tony Curtis: enlisted after Pearl Harbor

James Doohan (who is Canadian): Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps, commissioned at start of war in 1939

Kirk Douglas: attended Midshipman School at Notre Dame University and was subsequently commissioned as an ensign in the US Navy in 1942.

Henry Fonda: enlisted in the US Navy in 1942, saying, “I don’t want to be in a fake war in a studio.”

Clark Gable: enlisted in the US Army Air Corps in August 1942, and was commissioned as an officer in October

Alex Haley: enlisted in the US Coast Guard in 1939

Rock Hudson: enlisted in the US Navy in 1943 after graduating from high school

DeForest Kelley: called into military service in March 1943; I presume drafted

Joe Louis: enlisted

Lee Marvin: left school to enlist in the US Marine Corps

Jackie Robinson: drafted

Gene Roddenberry: joined the US Army Air Corps in 1941

Mickey Rooney: originally called up for military service after Pearl Harbor in 1941, but was turned down due to high blood pressure. Disappointed, he spent the next two years entertaining troops and doing shows for Armed Forces Radio. He tried again to enlist, and was finally accepted for service in 1944.

Jimmy Stewart: initially rejected for Army service in October 1940 for being under-weight. However, with the help of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer’s personal trainer, he successfully enlisted as a private in the US Army Air Corps in March 1941, and became the first major American movie star to wear a military uniform in World War 2.

Short bios on these and some British (and German) celebs at the link.

I left out the American Presidents who served.

50 Famous Faces in Uniform during World War 2 - Abroad in the Yard

It was a different time and a different war. They may have been or would become celebrities, but they were a part of the Greatest Generation, too.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:37 PM

14,367 posts, read 6,572,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
... How many All volunteer force vets are in Hollywood?
MC Hammer was in the Navy, and the rapper Shaggy served in the Marines in Desert Storm.

Montel Williams graduated from the Naval Academy after serving as a Marine. He served post-draft.

R. Lee Ermey is famous for his portrayal as a Marine drill sergeant.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:20 PM

14,367 posts, read 6,572,146 times
I always thought Don Knotts served in the Navy, some sort of experimental program called "LIMPET".

Old 04-23-2015, 03:42 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,043,079 times
Harvey Levin served in the Air National Guard. Levin occasionally points out that during his two years of stellar service...... the Viet Cong did not invade the Van Nuys airport.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:51 PM

3,694 posts, read 2,823,493 times
This is kind of obscure I suppose but I went through Marine Corps boot camp in 1966 with Earl Elliott who played bass guitar with Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues