U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:37 PM

3,200 posts, read 9,260,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I'd add one caveat to that statement and that is if you are in a critically undermanned career field (like security police) it might be more difficult to cross-train.

My husband loves his job (not security police BTW lol) so he would not want to cross-train but if he did, I am not sure he'd be able to. I have seen guys cross-train out of his job to less physical career fields after being injured, but that has pretty much been it.

So when you are picking a job, if you are not sure you would like it and might want to cross-train, try to figure out if its something that is critically undermanned.

Oh, maybe dmarie could confirm this but I think the larger the career field the more likely you are to get a little control over your assignment location. My husband's career field is really small and there are 4 CONUS and 2 OCONUS regular assignment locations for him. Everything else is a special duty assignment. He is kind of stuck with going where needed b/c there aren't that many slots to choose from. OTOH I have a SIL who is dual military officer couple with her dh and she is in Personnel and she has always been able to co-locate with her husband (who is a pilot) within a few months with each PCS (permanent change of station).
Lisdol, good point. During your first RE-enlistment you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to cross train. You won't get to pick any job in the Air Force to cross train into, usually a limited list of undermanned jobs. However, even Airmen in critically manned career fields have a chance to cross train. They might not have the same near guarentee as others, but they still have a chance. It does happen, it's just not AS likely. Many people believe they can't so they don't try. If you try, you could have the chance. I know people who have cross trained out of Security Forces, and out of Linguist career fields even though they were told by their commanders they wouldn't be able to. They submitted the application, and were allowed to retrain. AFPC has the approval authority on this, not any local commander. They will tell you no, but sometimes you can still get approved. Although, not every single security forces member would get approved.

If you don't request cross training in conjunction with your first re-enlistment, it is less likely to get approved.

I have never crosstrained, but rather sought out special duty opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 01:21 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,450,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Lisdol, good point. During your first RE-enlistment you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to cross train. You won't get to pick any job in the Air Force to cross train into, usually a limited list of undermanned jobs. However, even Airmen in critically manned career fields have a chance to cross train. They might not have the same near guarentee as others, but they still have a chance. It does happen, it's just not AS likely. Many people believe they can't so they don't try. If you try, you could have the chance. I know people who have cross trained out of Security Forces, and out of Linguist career fields even though they were told by their commanders they wouldn't be able to. They submitted the application, and were allowed to retrain. AFPC has the approval authority on this, not any local commander. They will tell you no, but sometimes you can still get approved. Although, not every single security forces member would get approved.

If you don't request cross training in conjunction with your first re-enlistment, it is less likely to get approved.

I have never crosstrained, but rather sought out special duty opportunities.
OK thanks for clarifying. I can't think of anyone who wants to xtrain out of my dh's career field but plenty want to xtrain in, so I wasn't sure how it worked.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 AM

1,719 posts, read 6,035,393 times
Thanks for all the info.
I will check it out when I get the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues