U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 AM

1,719 posts, read 6,028,366 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I wanted to learn a lil bit about the USAF. I've read some on here about how it is good for families and pretty much the best besides the Navy. I wouldn't want to live on a ship or on water, so USAF makes the most sense.

I've gone to their website and viewed all the jobs, but there has to be more than what is listed. Like officework, basework etc. I am not interested in flying jets, repairing them...but might not mind a job in something electrical.

Here is my deal..........27(in 2 months).......born/raised in Cali and can't wait to leave. I've completed my AA while working my FT office job for 2.5 years. I see no advancement here and I feel like I'm wasting my time. I am working on my Economics degree......and 100% want to see it through. I understand that joining the USAF will for sure set me back, but if I can make more money and travel and enjoy life a little more it would work. I have several friends with degrees and their jobs aren't better than mine......so having the degree in hand right now isn't necessary.

It looks like I will not get financial aid as expected, so tuition will cost me about $6,000/year......money I don't/won't have anyway.

If I do go, I'd marry my g/f so we could be together......and I honestly I wouldn't want to go to the Middle East or be away for months on end unless she followed. Is this realistic?

I've hear of signing bonuses, and looked at the pay chart of an E1 and it was like $1400 or so.......is this take home? Or before taxes?

Like I said, finishing my degree is very important to me.....so my other option was to quit FT work, get a PT gig in sales or something and go to school FT so I could move out of Cali within 3 years hopefully. Otherwise because of work I probably wouldn't graduate until 2012.

Just kinda confused...feel like I need a change because this decade I feel like I haven't developed enough like I would have wanted to...and I don't wanna be 30y/o graduating with a degree, but in the same dead end office job. But the idea of traveling around the U.S. and living in Europe sounds like an experience all in itself. So I feel I should seriously consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,702,308 times
I am certainly just starting to explore all this military stuff because my son wants to go in the Army. However, one thing is pretty certain - you WILL probably have to go overseas. You cannot chose - and if you cannot accept that very real possibility, then the military is probably not for you.

I will say this - my brother in law was in the AF (22 years) and he was in during Desert Storm. He DID go to the Middle East, but the trips were very very short and he never had a long term tour. He flew on AWACS and was in the communications field. He now works for a large contractor as a civilian and he just came back from 2 months in Qatar, Afghanistan and Iraq. That is the longest he has ever been away.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:25 PM

My concern I guess is fighting.
I wouldn't want to go in with guns blazing(from a plane or ground)...that's just not me.

I'd say between manual labor/pilot type/"warrior" and office work, more using your head to study.......I'd be 75% office and 25%labor or so.

I guess what I picture somewhat is what I've seen in the movies...combat...I don't want to be dodging bullets and bombs. I don't think I'm the type of person for all that.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:44 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,432,996 times
Personnel. Finance (but that is getting contracted out so not sure how much there is available with finance). Public Affairs. Services. Anything IT related.

There are a lot of office/computer type jobs in the AF. That's why one of it's nicknames is "chair force".

Look into those.

You can very likely be deployed. 3 mos, 6 mos, I would guess 8 mos at the longest for the AF. My husband's job does not follow the regular AF deployment cycle so his were shorter but more frequent. 4 mos was his longest.

As far as pay. If you have 2 yrs of college, see about entering in above E-1. Your pays will be basic pay (taxable), BAH (if you live off base - its nontaxable) and BAS (nontaxable). Depending on your specialty you might get a special pay, but don't factor that in until you know for sure. For instance, if you are aircrew (which it sounds like you don't want to do) you get flight pay. If you are proficient in a foreign language, you can get a special pay for that.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 PM

8,163 posts, read 12,815,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Personnel. Finance (but that is getting contracted out so not sure how much there is available with finance). Public Affairs. Services. Anything IT related.

There are a lot of office/computer type jobs in the AF. That's why one of it's nicknames is "chair force".

Look into those.

You can very likely be deployed. 3 mos, 6 mos, I would guess 8 mos at the longest for the AF. My husband's job does not follow the regular AF deployment cycle so his were shorter but more frequent. 4 mos was his longest.

As far as pay. If you have 2 yrs of college, see about entering in above E-1. Your pays will be basic pay (taxable), BAH (if you live off base - its nontaxable) and BAS (nontaxable). Depending on your specialty you might get a special pay, but don't factor that in until you know for sure. For instance, if you are aircrew (which it sounds like you don't want to do) you get flight pay. If you are proficient in a foreign language, you can get a special pay for that.
If you do have 2 years of college you can usually enter at E-3(Airman 1st class).Deployments are unpredicatable and one of my best friends from the AF has been deployed 3 straight times of about 6-9 months each. The extra pays are usually based on hazards(being in harms way). The best part that I liked was TDY which are temporary voluntary deployments which can be for 30 day,2 weeks,or anything else which are described prior to you making a decision whether to go or not but do include additional pay.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The best part that I liked was TDY which are temporary voluntary deployments which can be for 30 day,2 weeks,or anything else which are described prior to you making a decision whether to go or not but do include additional pay.
I have never heard of that. Can you explain?

To me, a TDY is any temporary duty away from home that is not a deployment. For instance, my husband goes away for a month for special training or air force business that needs to be conducted away from the base, that is TDY. I am sure there are some he volunteered to do before someone else snapped up the opportunity, but there are plenty that were in no way voluntary.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:11 PM

If anyone can point me into the direction to check out the Personnel Dept. that would be nice. Online info...I am not yet wanting to contact a recruiter.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:26 PM

Air Force Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors

Look under mission support. Personnel jobs are in squadrons usually called MSS (mission support squadrons).

Old 02-20-2009, 05:22 PM

Man that website is so confusing to me....have never been able to tell the difference from the ads or legit info. But It looks plentiful, so I will check it out. So far so good.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 PM

Go one third of the way down the page to SUPPORT.

Personnel is 3S. You may wish to check out the other support fields as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues