U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 03:43 PM

312 posts, read 878,796 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering... what is it like to be the wife of a MTI? My husband is thinking about becoming one. I am excited when I think about leaving Clovis, NM... however we are trying to get straight answers about how many hours MTI's work etc .. whats life like.. etc...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 04:27 PM

2,183 posts, read 6,620,749 times
I close to two people who used to be MTIs, one was one up until two years ago. They do not know how things are now with the longer BMT. The truth of the matter of matter is, it depends on his superiors...There's a guideline of hours they're suppose to be around...Some superiors force that standard...Some think they're hardcore and exceed the hours and most will allow them to leave early. Plan for the worse. Ensure your marriage is in check...He's going to have some long days and won't be himself, especially his first few flights...

Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,018,158 times
14 - 18 hour days are fairly common, at least that's what I was told by a friend of mine who recently finished his tour as a TI in Feb 08.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 AM

This is what is most annoying for myself and my husband....

Some people sing the horrible song that we will never see each other and that I will have to drive my 2 girls to a parking lot to see their father, due to him working non-stop.

THEN

Some people sing a song about having my husband work 12-16 hours a week for 2 weeks, then for it to tamper down some for two months. Then at the two month mark he will have semi-normal work hours for a couple of monthsweeks .... /rinse&repeat for 2 years. Then at the end of those two years he would go into more of an admin. spot etc.... as in no more crazy hours. He has also been told (By his peers) that the MTI rate for Divorce is 90%.

Talk to me PEOPLE!!!

I am really just looking for people who have lived it (AS in a few years... not 10 + years ago etc). I/We really want is a taste of what life is like as an MTI and a bone tossed to the family.

Thanks!

The only reason I am typing this out is because ever since my husband has voiced his interest in becoming an MTI... he has only gotten horrible.. HORRIBLE ... stories from "This dude I once knew told me ... etc" or " Once this guy I knew was an MTI and he said etc..."

Only post a reply if you know.. for a FACT what you are saying.. is TRUE!

Thanks guys/gals... Thank you a lot!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,202,307 times
Have you tried the military dot com forums? There are probably more current active duty AF people on there to help. A huge selling point for me would be that my husband would not deploy and probably not go tdy for the length of the tour. I was interested in him looking into a similar position in SA but he seemed to think it would be too repetitive (a 10 week indoc school).

Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 AM

3,034 posts, read 8,694,768 times
MTI...thinking of trying to make a move

You must be prepared to be his support system. He will routinely work 16 hour or longer days, sometimes going for weeks without a single day off. And even on his day off, he might get called in to do training or deal with something that a recruit has done.

Rewarding... but he can't do it successfully without your full support.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 AM

I know many TIs. I haven't served as one, and am sorry if I answered without first hand knowledge, but I've been told what I said by every TI I know. Also, there is an MTI shadow program where he can come visit and follow around a TI for a couple days to get a feel for it.

Another fact, AF basic training was 6 weeks, now it's over 8. We are short by over 200 TIs. Anyone who says you won't work long hours is lying. perhaps if we get another 200 TIs the house will improve. They switched to 8 weeks without upping personel. Again, they are short 200+ TIs...who has to cover the work of those 200+ people? Current TIs.

Tell him to check the Air Force Portal for info on the shadow program.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:06 PM

My husband has mentioned the shadow program. The thing that just kills me is that we would have to pay for his travel etc. It is just annoying. One would think that if they needed TI's so badly that they would be paying for people to go see if becoming a TI is something they would like to do.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:11 PM

Well no, becuase then people would us the TI shadow program for a free vacation. Pay for the travel, come with him, stay a week, take leave, get out and see the River Walk and everything else we have to offer.... and have him shadow a TI. You can pick out neighborhoods you might want to live in if you move here, etc. It's a small amount of money to make a decision that will greatly affect your lives for years. While he's here, he can ask current TIs, face to face, what it's really like.

Well worth it!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,202,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
My husband has mentioned the shadow program. The thing that just kills me is that we would have to pay for his travel etc. It is just annoying. One would think that if they needed TI's so badly that they would be paying for people to go see if becoming a TI is something they would like to do.
You guys are pretty close though (wouldn't it be a long one-day trip? - I know my dh just did SA to ABQ in two days - one a little longer than the other but neither too long), so I think it would be well worth it. I assume he gets PTDY for it and won't have to burn leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or