Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 8,212 times

Advertisements

Which branch do you think would suit me? I might get a little long on this too. Im 20 years young, Ive went to a technical school for pc's and networking and stuff like that. I got my diploma and have a great job working with the local utilities. Im just tired of the same old everyday thing. Its time for James to start his own life is how i can basically sum up everything i wanted to type. I just dont feel like im going anywhere. You cant beat Va benefits with a stick. Im not entirelly about the money but its good to know its there.

Anyway. Which branch would be the best match for me?
Im single. I really dont have any commiments to anything as of now. Ive got some good friends here but im sure ill see them again one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,355,199 times
If you get bored easily, maybe military life isn't your thing either. I tell you, there are days that go on forever. The people who do well in the military are the ones that really want to be in the military, regardless of the low pay, lack of benefits, hazardous conditions, and generally unpleasant people to work for. Research your decision very carefully as, once you're in, you can't quit.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,212 times
i didnt mean to come off as sounding bored. Im just tired of my lifestyle. if that makes any more sense.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:16 PM

645 posts, read 1,959,686 times
You won't regret joining the Air Force.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 PM

10,163 posts, read 20,704,153 times
Talk to the Air Force, ask about the 3C0X1 career field if you're interested in computers.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,621,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeDaki View Post
Rh roh, Im 20 and most likely joining the military.
Which branch do you think would suit me? I might get a little long on this too. Im 20 years young, Ive went to a technical school for pc's and networking and stuff like that. I got my diploma and have a great job working with the local utilities. Im just tired of the same old everyday thing. Its time for James to start his own life is how i can basically sum up everything i wanted to type. I just dont feel like im going anywhere. You cant beat Va benefits with a stick. Im not entirelly about the money but its good to know its there.

Im single. I really dont have any commiments to anything as of now. Ive got some good friends here but im sure ill see them again one day.
Astro, you might try the Air Force K9 service!

Sorry, couldn't help it when I saw your title. Anyway, I think the Air Force would be best for you. Look closely at the jobs available and be sure to get a guaranteed job (if they still do that). Computers are good, but isn't that being mostly taken over by contractors?

Good luck and Aim High!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:37 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,082,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeDaki View Post

I was previously in the Air Force active duty and reserves(1992-99). Be smart and make a resume and find someone who can really put it out there for you.The military can be very good especially if the individual needs to mature or focus but considering your computer experience already,the military should probably be more of a backup plan in my opinion.With the air force active duty you are commited for 4 years and forget about a good paycheck.On the outside you have much better options so I would definitely explore there first. Trust me the military isn't going anywhere and if you eventually choose that option they'll be happy to take you.Good luck on your choice.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 AM

37,227 posts, read 60,947,942 times
Have you considered subs?

I was a mainframe Computer System Analyst. I got into Electronic Surveillance Systems, and eventually Intelligence.

It is one of the fields where the pay is entirely different from the majority of US servicemembers' experiences. Tax-free status, the extra pays and allowances will commonly total two times more than base pay, and the Re-Enlistment bonuses are fat. I was offered $65k each time that I re-upped, in 2001 the cap went up to $90k. Most every year you have options to attend schooling and pick up more NECs.

I see career military who followed a career path and may have gotten 2 or 3 NECs / MOSs. I picked up 5 NECs. and a wall filled with various certifications. The 'primary' job a submariner performs may stay the same for years. However as your career progresses you put on many secondary jobs. As you collect these secondary job skills, it can really round out a person. Few career submariners are focused on only one area of expertise.

The Sub fleet is also big on college, courses and degrees. When I reported onboard my first sub, I was the first crewman they had received who did not already have a B.S degree. They were all VN draft dodgers, who had stayed in college as a deferment to the draft. When they completed college, they each volunteered for sub duty, so here they were. While it is not a requirement, attending college courses and working on a degree is rather expected. I finished an A.S., then on a different boat I finished my B.S., and later an M.A. degree. It is a working environment where finishing degrees is fairly common. The high percentage of degreed enlisted men in the sub fleet changed the flavour of the career field. So it remains today very much different from the surface fleet.

It is also common within the Silent Service to do a lot of personal investing. I collected apartment buildings. Generally one building at each home port. When I retired I had a substantial portfolio built up. I sold all but one of my apartment buildings and used the cash to buy a farm for my retirement present to myself. So now I live on a farm with no mortgage, and I have my pension income. Having the farm is nice, but I do not need to rely on it to survive either.

I do understand that my career path is certainly not a good path for everyone.

Reading through the pr4evious posts on this thread, one common theme that I see which stands out to me, is the idea that serving in the military is a low income profession. It may well be low income for many. But it is not low income for every one.

Within the military as a whole there reside many small communities. Walking from one of these communities to the next is sometimes very different. Just be aware that many such communities do exist.

May God bless you.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 AM

1,765 posts, read 7,304,719 times
20? You're young.

The average age of the enlisted person has been going up slowly over the past several years since the focus has shifted to writing high-school graduates all year rather than having a flood of high-school students jamming up the system in June. Plus, we needed more mature people off the bat anyway -- or at least a shot at getting more mature people.

Join whatever branch you want. They're all excellent. Just make sure you understand that no matter what branch you join, active or reserve, you will deploy to, or in support of, the war (or whatever you want to call it.)

In general- your mileage may vary---

Army - a few more enlistment incentives and quick promotion
Marines- a very strong tradition and mindset plus quick promotion
Navy - good incentives and a chance to serve at sea -- amazing travel
Air Force- a chance to work on aricraft systems or in support of aviation
Coast Guard - a real-world domestic mission with a no-nonsense approach to training (basic, then time in the fleet, then job training-- great system since you know the ropes early on)

Make sure you're qualified before you make too many plans.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:52 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,471,286 times
Went in the USAF to travel & get the heck away from Hollywood, FL. Had NO idea what I wanted to do but I've always been better with my head than my hands. USAF needed warm bodies on the flightline when I enlisted. Would've NEVER imagined myself in Aircraft Maintenance. But after 23 years, I wouldn't have wanted to do anything else.... I grew up, traveled to some wonderful and interesting places and had incredible experiences only those who have served can understand.

Best of luck, WannabeDaki!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues