U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,804,122 times

Advertisements

sounds like the Air Force or Navy would be right for you

dont even think of joining the MARINES unless you really want to be a MARINE
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:36 PM

756 posts, read 1,921,098 times
Sorry but what is ruh roh???

Do you mean ooh rah?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,002,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
True, for the rest of one's life if the military so desires. No career outside the military, no family one can visit, no home of one's own to enjoy, in short no good life unless the military allows it, until you die. (Assuming there's a war on, which it looks like there will always be, since we're now fighting an ideology that will always exist.) Just because other people benefited from the military doesn't mean that today's new soldiers will--times have changed drastically. Someday people might think harder and insist that the military allow a contract that has a definite end date.
Wow. That's a lot of ignorance packed into a fairly short post.

The only thing you said that might be considered to have any accuracy or make any sense at all was "times have changed drastically."

usmc: "ruh roh" is kinda like "uh oh." What you never watched the Jetsons cartoon as a kid?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 PM

21,151 posts, read 5,446,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeDaki View Post
Which branch do you think would suit me? I might get a little long on this too. Im 20 years young, Ive went to a technical school for pc's and networking and stuff like that. I got my diploma and have a great job working with the local utilities. Im just tired of the same old everyday thing. Its time for James to start his own life is how i can basically sum up everything i wanted to type. I just dont feel like im going anywhere. You cant beat Va benefits with a stick. Im not entirelly about the money but its good to know its there.

Anyway. Which branch would be the best match for me?
Im single. I really dont have any commiments to anything as of now. Ive got some good friends here but im sure ill see them again one day.
Your best bet is to go to all of the services' recruiters and ask all the questions you can about what each has to offer you.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 PM

I agree that that's a good start, but beware the recruiter.....it's not as bad as it used to be (I think) but they will likely try to paint a picture that's prettier than reality, emphasizing the good stuff and de-emphasizing/not even mentioning the bad. Your best bet is to talk to as many people as you can who have been in and/or worked with each service to get as much info and opinions as possible.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 PM

957 posts, read 832,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Wow. That's a lot of ignorance packed into a fairly short post.

The only thing you said that might be considered to have any accuracy or make any sense at all was "times have changed drastically."
Nope, it's all true. I personally know two people who were recalled at middle-age; their civilian careers and relationships have been lost. They can no longer save the dollars they need to save during their peak earning years to avoid homelessness when they reach retirement age. Both signed up as teenagers. The military contract is potentially a lifetime commitment and there is no other choice offered.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM

Sorry, wrong. When you join the military you sign a contract to be active (or guard/reserves) and then inactive reserves for a specified period of time. There is something either you or your buddies aren't telling us about their sitution.

And (civilian) job positions have to be held for you to return to while you're serving if called up (obviously different if self-employed).

Last edited by joey2000; 03-11-2009 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 PM

29,207 posts, read 46,407,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Nope, it's all true. I personally know two people who were recalled at middle-age; their civilian careers and relationships have been lost. They can no longer save the dollars they need to save during their peak earning years to avoid homelessness when they reach retirement age. Both signed up as teenagers. The military contract is potentially a lifetime commitment and there is no other choice offered.
It is an 8-year contract.

Except for those of us who are lifers.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 2,967,397 times
Not to add fuel to the fire and to go off on another tangent ...............Can't Commissioned Officers be recalled until the day they die?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:34 PM

957 posts, read 832,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is an 8-year contract.
If you haven't served 8 years by when there's a war, you can be recalled for the duration of the war. This war has no end, as there's no physical enemy. It's a war on terror, not terrorists. The war has lasted longer than WWII so far. Today there could be soldiers who have served 14 years who didn't want to serve past 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues