U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 11:58 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,912,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Fort Huachuca AZ
i liked Ft Huachuca for i could vist family in Phoenix once a month ..my worst place was Nato headquaters was a nightmare for me i was in charge of a Gerenal officer security detail and i found the people where great but dealing with outside things at times where the problems of multi military personal all togerther in one place ..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,912,723 times
i had a friend who joined the army to get away from Ft Bragg area and where did he get stationed at Ft bragg on his first tour in the army right after basic training in Ft Jackson SC

Old 11-21-2010, 08:41 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,133,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWifeypoo View Post
I can't believe nobody has listed Goodfellow Air Force Base. I freaking HATE this place. It's ugly, small, boring - I'm absolutely disgusted with living here. And since I'm not a brainwashed Texan and refuse to allow my children to be, I'm counting the hours until we can finally leave this hellhole. This place is the crotch of the United States and people love it here for some ungodly reason. For the life of me, I absolutely cannot understand it. Maybe they like fireants and mosquite 'trees' (more like shrubs). I wish this place would get closed and San Angelo TX would finally finish falling off the face of the earth.
WOW! Come on tell us how you really feel about Goodfellow AFB and San Angelo.

I spent 7 months at Goodfellow (Goodbuddy) AFB in1972-73 going to tech school and really liked the base as well as San Angelo with its downtown river and Lake Nasworthy.
The base and San Angelo has grown since then which makes it even better. I entered the AF in California but retired in "brainwashed" Texas where I have spent more than 23 years of my life and I'm proud to call Texas my home. Be thankful you haven't lived in the Middle East where women are third class in most places such as Saudi Arabia.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:05 AM

744 posts, read 1,048,506 times
I would have to say Marine Corps Base Quantico. We used to have a philosophy in the Marine corps that the farther away from HQ the better the life was, well Quantico was in Northern VA just a short drive to the Pentagon and DC so it was so political and felt like policy changed there just to see what worked and what did not. If it worked they would still change it for change sake. Also the traffic was terrible. I still lived in the area even though I was out of the Corps because my wife had a good job on base but and went through 9/11 there as well as the DC sniper. But no longer have to deal with any of it.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,145,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Cu Chi, RVN, 1966
Hot, dry, and dusty
Then, hot, wet, and muddy.
15 minutes later, hot, dry, and dusty again.
Cu Chi was a mud hole but you got to do the walking tour of the Boi Loi

Old 11-22-2010, 11:18 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,145,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i had a friend who joined the army to get away from Ft Bragg area and where did he get stationed at Ft bragg on his first tour in the army right after basic training in Ft Jackson SC
I volunteered for Vietnam to get away from Fatalberg

Old 11-24-2010, 08:01 AM

549 posts, read 1,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
The cold weather goes without saying. The people were very very rude and to top it off there was nothing to do, absolutely nothing. 7 very long years.
Worst duty station: Minot AFB. I feel your pain. Just imagine, I wish I could live at Grand Forks! That's how bad this place is. Our gate says "Only the Best Come North" and many people say it's the hidden jewel of the AF. Really? Well, they should hide it better. Cold, cold, cold. Snow, snow, snow. Boring, boring, boring. Nothing nearby, unless you count Bismarck (small town) 2 hours away, Fargo (not a huge city)5 hours....nothing to do for hours and hours and hours.

Of course, I have met a few people out of a billion that like this place...so it could just be me

Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 PM

50 posts, read 126,495 times
Our worst base was Beale AFB in northern CA. Yuck. Black Mold houses. Linda was the meth capitol of the world and right outside the gate. High crime rates, high cost of living. Constant 12 hour shifts (that of course turned into 14's). Traffic.
We did vacation to Disneyland, San Diego, San Francisco, but would never want to go back.

BEST base was Kadena AB Okinawa Japan

Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 PM

25 posts, read 66,856 times
Patuxent River NAS.....the land of inconvenience...where happiness goes to die. A one horse town!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,852,825 times
Never had a bad assignment in 23 yrs in the military other than deployments - and only one (Afghanistan) wasn't a positive experience. I guess I've been lucky (Germany, Ft Lewis, Ft Gordon, Ft Sam Houston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues