U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:40 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,311,633 times

Advertisements

I don't tell many people this, but that is one of the reasons I chose living in the East Mountains.

It seems to be the #1 REAL reason people move away or to the east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 AM

4,550 posts, read 8,011,033 times
I'm in the Navy and my two worst were both bases from other services.

Osan Air Base is South Korea
Iwakuni Marine Corps Air Station in Japan

Both places were dumps relative to what I am used to in the Navy.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,115,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Korea (1998-1999) was my worst, I think. That's where I had started drinking every weekend. It was bad. And too far away from my husband at the time (I was married back then).
When I was a young 20something in the AF I don't know how many people tried to convince me I should try to get assigned to Korea it's great for singles etc etc - but most of what I saw and heard about it sounded totally unappealing, frankly, and I've seen or heard little since to change my mind.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:21 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,886,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
When I was a young 20something in the AF I don't know how many people tried to convince me I should try to get assigned to Korea it's great for singles etc etc - but most of what I saw and heard about it sounded totally unappealing, frankly, and I've seen or heard little since to change my mind.
You missed out. There's a LOT more to The Land of the Morning Calm than the bar district right off base. I spent two tours there and LOVED the country. I was able to travel extensively. I saw a Korea that few military folks get to see. The Korean people were very warm and I was treated like royalty. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't learn very much of the language, but I still was able to get around quite well.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,550,452 times
Camp Hansen on Okinawa was pretty bad, in '98. Lejeune wasn't much better, in fact some may think it's worse. We had good leadership at the combat unit at Lejeune, while Hansen for all intents and purposes a joke. Depends on the unit, I guess, although the cost of living in Japan off base plus the remoteness of the base (compared with Foster and Kadena AFB) made it worse than it had to be.

29 Palms is better than Lejuene or Hansen, IMHO, despite the complaints about the former.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm in the Navy and my two worst were both bases from other services.

Osan Air Base is South Korea
Iwakuni Marine Corps Air Station in Japan

Both places were dumps relative to what I am used to in the Navy.
Funny you should mention Iwakuni, as many Marines thought that base to be one of the best in the Corps when I was in No doubt you Navy guys are biased, and you have every right to be

Marine bases in general really, really suck.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:34 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
Fort Chaffe:Arkansas. Ugly;boring ;nothig close and in summer it had the worse tick problem I have ever seen.They were everywhere like ants if you looked on the ground.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 AM

187 posts, read 371,321 times
I guess I would have to say Ft. Drum. I wasn't used to all the cold and snow. There wasn't much to do in Watertown when I was there (96-98), and it just seemed to be a depressing little town. It wasn't until I bought my car that things got a little better and I discovered Sacketts Harbor and Canada. Still, not one of my favorites.

A close second would be Ft. Polk. Thank God I was just only there for a month long training exercise, but it rained from the time we got there til the time we left. We were locked down to the post, but getting there it seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere!

Old 08-05-2009, 12:50 PM

3,847 posts, read 2,903,940 times
MCAS Cherry Point NC. Probably compounded by the fact that I had just ended my tour on embassy duty, was back in the states and in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
MCAS Cherry Point NC. Probably compounded by the fact that I had just ended my tour on embassy duty, was back in the states and in the middle of nowhere.
Funny, considering Cherry Point is considered the best base out of the 3 in eastern NC.

Lejeune was a hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues