Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 09:54 PM

408 posts, read 723,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Did they teach you anything that was worth learning?
I'm sure they did, even if it isn't something I could think of immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:57 PM

408 posts, read 723,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In 1981-82; I did 18 months in the Newport News shipyard, on a sub during over-haul / refueling. We had a floating office barge that we filled.

The yard was doing a lot of: rip-outs, re-wiring, and re-installing equipment. Our goat locker setup a watchbill so every space was manned, to 'watch' the yardbirds doing their work. So we were all in rotating shift-work 24/7.

Then someone got the idea that we should be 'training'. So they set the goal for each division to perform 20 hours of lectures each week. Every lecture had to have a written outline approved by our DivO.

So if you were not on-watch on the boat, every morning you sat in the office reading tech manuals and writing lecture outlines, and every afternoon we read our lectures back to each other.

The folks who had no watch to stand during working hours, were all in their offices writing lecture outlines from 8 to noon each day. And from 1pm to 5pm, we took turns reading our approved lectures to each other.

After a couple weeks of that, I got to swapping watches with other guys, so I could spend every work-day on the boat, away from the office.

I did not like the shipyard.

One day while driving on the beach I was busted by two cops. I had base stickers on my bike, so it was obvious that I was a sailor. After stopping me, and hassling me for being a sailor in their town, they suddenly pulled out their guns and soon had me on the pavement in hand cuffs.

I was wearing a sheath knife on my belt. So I had won a jackpot by violating multiple laws at once. Along with being a sailor on the beach. I was also exhibiting a weapon and concealing a weapon. They explained that since my knife's handle was showing I was violating a Virginia law for 'exhibiting a weapon', and that since the blade was hidden in it's sheath I was violating a Newport News law for 'concealing a weapon'.

They even offered to give me a choice of which of these laws they were going to use to arrest me. A night in their cell and I saw the judge the next day. A $100 fine and I was released.

I had been told many times, about how the local cops treat sailors on the beach, but I had to ignore it.

I did not like the local cops of Newport News Virginia.
beleive it or not, Hampton Police were worse than Newport News police for me, and yeah we had the whole floating barge thing too, the FAF (Floating Accommodation Facility) all of the people on restriction stayed there. We stayed at a school that was renovated into barracks.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:28 PM

142 posts, read 279,910 times
Great Lakes Navel base. Located not far from the windy city Chicago. Having never seen snow before, or even felt really cold temperatures, I was first entranced then months later horrified by the wind and snow. April 2nd, 1986 was the day I decided the military was not for me, as I walked outside among the thickly falling snow.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:28 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Fort Huachuca AZ

Old 08-26-2009, 01:24 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,630 times
Camp Lejeune, just something about that place.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:02 PM

630 posts, read 1,874,241 times
Naval Weapons Station Earle,New Jersey.......The Garden Spot of the Garden State,nuf said!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 29,859 times
Fort Bragg for sure!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:04 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh1186 View Post
Fort Bragg for sure!
I second that motion , the whole state is a drag like the Bragg.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Diego Garcia... Muscat and was better then that crap hole! I even liked Adak better! I hate the heat/ humidity!!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Wow. I went on Eustis one time, not really impressed but i had no idea it was like that.

My close friend is stationed at Bolling AFB. I have no idea how he takes it. Bolling is right next to one of Washington DC's worst neighborhoods. He's even heard of people getting shot up not even one mile from the gate. Plus he has a school-age daughter. Any family there has to know that DC has the worst public school system in the country.
Nah, that would be Hawaii.......but DC isn't far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues