U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:18 PM

8,163 posts, read 12,824,937 times

Advertisements

In 1992 after almost completing my basic training and tech school at Lackland AFB in Texas I was cut my orders.When I read into them I noticed the name of the town -----KNOB NOSTER-----!!!! Holy crap!!! What the hell is this? For a guy from Long Island,NY to get orders to Knob Noster,Missouri (Whiteman AFB) boy was I shocked to say the least.With a name like this it must look like i'm on the show the Beverly Hillbillies before they went to California. I must admit after I got off the plane in KC it was a solid hour to the base and the farmland was in abundance.Knob Noster looked like the way the town was portrayed in Happy Days in the early years but not as wild. It wound up being a nice,friendly area but you needed a car if you ever wanted to leave the base.It was about 8-10 miles to the next town with any activity in either direction.It grew on you after a while but boy was it a culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 07:47 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,421,307 times
I looked at my dream sheet and saw Edwards AFB (southern California) and go "oh it's close to L.A.!! " (i.e. lots of fun fun times)

Pffttt......

Old 03-15-2009, 12:32 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,500,232 times
While I was at my first assignment (Griffiss AFB NY) the base was closing. So we got a list of bases to choose from for our next assignment. I always wanted to go to California, so I looked at a map and chose Vandenberg AFB which is right on the central coast. I guess I watched too much Baywatch back then (1995) because when I got there in August, the fog was thicker than pea soup, it was 65 degrees and windy. The beaches were cold, windy and desolate. The water at the beach was about 40 degrees. Not exactly what I was expecting, but the place grew on me and I ended up loving the assignment and local area.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 PM

794 posts, read 2,432,302 times
Great thread Lancet71! I remember the first time I went TDY to Whiteman and when I was told it was in Knob Noster MO, I just laughed (also from NY). Way back when I was leaving my first assignment (Kadena) and received a RIP saying I was going to K.I. Sawyer MI, I found K.I. on a map at work and was sure that the base was actually in Canada! I had a quick lesson about Michigan's Upper Peninsula at that point.. That turned out to be a great assignment though..

Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 PM

8,163 posts, read 12,824,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
Great thread Lancet71! I remember the first time I went TDY to Whiteman and when I was told it was in Knob Noster MO, I just laughed (also from NY). Way back when I was leaving my first assignment (Kadena) and received a RIP saying I was going to K.I. Sawyer MI, I found K.I. on a map at work and was sure that the base was actually in Canada! I had a quick lesson about Michigan's Upper Peninsula at that point.. That turned out to be a great assignment though..
I liked Whiteman.The base was small but was up to date and good sports activities on base.Like I previous said though,it felt like I was thrown back into the 50's based on the town of Knob Noster and the only nearby fast food was a Dairy Queen.The area especially Warrensburg grew on you. A little bit of a rivalry though with college guys at CMSU over the women chasing back then but some were okay with us.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:50 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,891,702 times
I'll second the "great thread!", Lancet71! Same story with me; Was at Sembach when the 601st got rid of thier OV-10s. The AFMPC assignment team worked hard to get us our first choice of an assignment. I was thrilled to learn that I was returning to Mather AFB, CA! Shortly before I was to leave, Air Training Command diverted me to Laughlin AFB, TX. Man, I looked at where Del Rio was on the map and I KNEW it was gonna be the end of the world!

I got the same reaction leaving San Antonio on U.S. 90; Oh my gawd, what am I getting into... But Laughlin and the 47 FTW turned out to be an AWESOME assignment, both personally and professionally. Outstanding leadership and (then-ATC) seemed to have a lot more desire to reward it's top performers than the combat commands ever had time for. I also did most of my coursework for my CCAF degree there.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:26 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,116,993 times
I thought Davis-Monthan would be cool. Way out West and all, something different, really neat.

Not. Tucson it turns out was a total armpit.

Langley. Pride of ACC. All the history. blah blah blah. After D-M I couldn't wait. And it was great in comparison.

For awhile. Another armpit ultimately. The people sucked and the area has been on a steady decline for many years.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,891,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I thought Davis-Monthan would be cool. Way out West and all, something different, really neat.

Not. Tucson it turns out was a total armpit.

Langley. Pride of ACC. All the history. blah blah blah. After D-M I couldn't wait. And it was great in comparison.

For awhile. Another armpit ultimately. The people sucked and the area has been on a steady decline for many years.
Glad I lived at the Heather Lake Apts (just outside the La Salle Gate) when they were nice...

Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 AM

123 posts, read 246,497 times
I spent my career so fdar at McGuire AFB, NJ. Not too bad for a first base, they recently rebuilt the Gym and Track area adn there are constantly upgrades being done to the base. Area surrounding the base might be a little scary to soemone not used to the country side, but drive 30min and you'll be in suburbia.
My next Duty Station (this summer sometime) will be in Houston, Texas. Can't wait to see how that will turn out...

Last edited by germanrose20; 03-18-2009 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: darn grammar... :-)

Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,911,908 times
When I ( Navy draftee) got my first orders out of bootcamp, our Company Commander looked at each order and explained them .

Mine was the only order that said-----AIRTRANSON 8 Moffett Field California.

Since the reporting date was on the 7th of January, my CC said it meant I report on the 7th for air transportation someplace else on the 8th.

Luckily, when I was home on bootcamp leave over Christmas, a former "airdale" neighbor explained that AIRTRANSON meant air transportation squadron 8 (VR-8) and my orders meant I was assigned to a squadron at Moffett and not being fllown out to someplace else the day after I got there.
Great duty!

I was there from Jan7, 1966 til the squadrin disbanded June1, 1967.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues