Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:35 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times

Advertisements

Okay I am prior service but have an Re-3 because I had high Blood pressure. Well there aren't alot of jobs around here so I wanted to go back into the military, specifically the Marines because I always wanted to be a Marine. I went to the recruiter and told him my story and he said I should go to an officer recruiter because I have college credit and there would be alot of paperwork if I tried to enlist. I knew this might happen because I heard storied saying recruiters don't like to process people with waivers because it's a pain and they don't get credit for them. Well it just happens my brother in law is a Major in the Marine Corps and called to ask how my visit went. I told him and he told me the recruiter blew me off and wanted his info. He called him and now the recruiter is putting together my stuff so I can get the waiver and enlist. I just feel like a butt having my brother in law call him and get him to help, and it's very awkward. Was I in the wrong in all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 06:11 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
You are not wrong in pursuing options, but when it comes to medical issues requiring a waiver it will go through channels and the decision will be final be it pro or con. Different branches have different standards and over the past few years the army has been the most lenient in reviewing and granting waivers. Now that enlistments and reenlistments are climbing the necessity to try and process applicants requiring waivers will diminish. I came back in five years ago with two med waivers and I know that today it would not fly. Nonetheless, good luck.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:31 PM

See thats fine I understand that, I just don't like going over the head of some one and having it be a family member. To me it seems like I couldn't handle it myself and had to back in.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
The recruiter WILL get credit for you, just not until you actually ship. The waivers and stuff can be a pain, but they shouldn't blow you off. The recruiter was in the wrong. If he didn't have the time to process a lot of paperwork that he doesn't feel will help him, he should've let you know that he needed to put you on the back burner.

Recruiters go through a lot of BS. He probably is getting yelled at daily for not making quota. Then this came through. Now he is probably getting yelled at for not making quota and is having to give daily updates to his Rinc on where your stance is. As this is the last week of the month, no one up the line is giving a guy with a bunch of needed waivers much attention, so he's probably getting blown off by them until next month. Most likely having to work longer hours... which is the favorite punishment for Recruiters. As Marine recruiters generally have 12-14 hour days anyway, I doubt he likes you right now.

For his part, better diplomacy would've avoided this whole thing. For your part, I hope there is nothing in your paperwork that would require this guy to go "above and beyond". Waivers typically require a recruiter to harass the heck out of docs and other admin folks within the military. Recruiters are required to call and leave messages with the appropriate folks. This can cause a big delay for you possibly if he just leaves messages. But if you hadn't gone "above his head", you wouldn't have gotten anywhere anyway.

A rock and a hard place.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2009, 10:16 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,734 times
I'm assuming that you're going active duty. If so, the process might take a while. In the Navy there's a lot of prior service that are trying to get back in and they're backlogged. As a result, recruiters view prior service re-entering especially with a waiver needed as a pain.

In order to get the waiver approved you'll have to get some BP for three days. Just FYI, if you have "white coat syndrome", you can get BP readings from your local fire station.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 AM

I know he doesn't like me as I have spoken to him on the phone at all. As far as my Blood pressure I have a family member thats a nurse take it and it's fine.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
Good luck with that waiver, and you are correct, most recruiters don't want to touch prior service candidates unless they have a clean RE code (RE1). Recruiting is about time, and waivers take a long time. In your case, someone decided it should be hard for you to ever get back in the military by giving you an RE3. What you are doing is asking another person to take responsibility for you coming back in by signing off on the waiver. On top of that, most prior-service candidates I met wanted several enlistment options. I watched recruiters spend hours on waivers waiting months to get an approval then the guy wouldn't enlist because they wouldn't let him switch jobs or pull station of choice.

I hope it goes well. Some people have "lab coat high blood pressure" so any time they get near a doctor it goes way up. I don't know if that is a real problem or not, but that's what we called it. We'd take a healthy 18 year old down to the MEPS and he'd pop a BP all out of whack and fail the physical.

Some people have a real BP problem that simply isn't compatible with military service. What they may do is have you get your BP taken once or twice a day for a week or two.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:51 PM

well I'm not looking for anything special, I want in and don't care what MOS I am. I think my brother in law broke it down pretty well when he said, you worked long hours when you were deployed because it was your job. The same applies to recruiters, they signed up for it deal with it.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
Attempting to process disqualified applicants for waivers is a low-priority mission. As long as you understand that, you'll have the required patience.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,222 times
So whats the difference between an Officer and enlisted recruiter? Don't they both have to make mission? Are the waivers the same for both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues